Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Eastman's 'new' offering...

Brettafett

One Too Many
Just happened upon this update from Eastman, Vintage Warhorse. Looks smashing.
http://www.eastmanleather.com/product_info.php?products_id=224
Apparently this hide will be offered for the RW1401 and Werber (Monarch?)... Looks perfect for a Rw1401, but I kinda liked the 'special' light brown Werber hide they used.
Apparently they are constantly tweaking their patterns to get as close to perfect as possible.
I must say, this new 1401 studio pic does look nice, it looks to be the best 1401 'cut' so far.
I wonder how close the actual production jacket would compare to this 'studio' one?
Anyone keen to pick one up and post pics and a review ? ;)

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Is this the one with the too-high pockets? Does seem odd that the man who wrote the book on A-2s seems to have got it wrong on this occasion.

Edward

Bartender
If it is any help there is a review on VLJ of the Werber 1402 in the same hide, 2013 production.
Edit, fat fingers corrected now.
http://www.vintageleatherjackets.org/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=15061

Unfortunately those of us who aren't VLJ members can't access it. Interesting, though, to see Eastman announcing new product; we don't hear so much about them any more round here. [huh] Pity, I tend to like their stuff.

I wondered about that high-pocket jacket - such a clear contrast with the original that was also posted a while back, I wondered whether it was deliberate - i.e. do ELC have another original on which they based it, which has the higher pocket stance? It doesn't seem unlikely that thi sort of variation could have occurred in the production process.

Foster

One of the Regulars
No, evidently the high pocket issue is in their RW 27752 and (if memory is 20/20 clear today) one of their Perry contracts.

My speculation is the larger sizes may have had higher placed pockets, or ELC does this to simplify the placement of squadron patches when customized in-house. But that is mere speculation!

Last edited:

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The higher pocket placement is a feature of most ELC original maker A2s and fortunately is not replicated on GW repros.

Last edited:

Cyber Lip

Practically Family
Not to be a punk, but I always get a chuckle when I open one of these 'new model' threads because these flight jackets all look exactly the same :laugh:

Stand By

One Too Many
S'funny. Until this, I'd never even noticed anything wrong with the pockets ...! (and I still don't!)
There you go, you see. Just as Thor said the other day, I come on here and learn something new ... :)

scrawlysteve

One of the Regulars
My God ! What a travesty ! Those pockets must be all of three-quarters of an inch higher than the original --and just look at that collar... surely no-one would buy such a monstrosity ?

You'd have it coming--especially with what you said about Gary's arms.

rofl_emoticon_medium.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran