Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Eating For Victory" - Healthy Homefront Cooking on War-Rations

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
That's the title of the book which I purchased from the local bookshop last week.

9781782430261_p0_v1_s260x420.JPG

It's full of 100% reproduction, colour scans of old posters and government recipes from the British home front of the Second World War. It's 160 pages of facts, food and fascination.

Chapters include "Dried Eggs", "One Pot Meals", "Making the Most of Meat", "What's Left in the Larder", "Fruit Bottling", "Cheese", "Cakes & Pies", "Puddings", "Tea", "Potatoes", there's a chapter called "How to Fry", and countless other things, including government leaflets about vitamins and how to ration sugar, what pregnant women should eat and a whole heap of other stuff.

It's fascinating reading. If anyone wants a few pages, I'd be happy to scan and share.

The foreword has a few interesting passages...

"...Dried eggs were an invaluable invention of the food technologists, but they were particularly unpalatable. However much the advisers to the Ministry of Food tried to convince the public that a tablespoon of egg powder mixed with two tablespoons of water was just as good as a fresh egg..."

On what was not rationed...

"...Foods that were not rationed included offal, chicken, rabbit and game. Fish was not officially rationed, but was hard to come by and often expensive. Hosemeat was available; later on, corned beef, and spam..."

Last edited:

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
OK

The full list of chapters is...

Dried Eggs
One Pot Meals
Making the Most of Meat
High Teas & Suppers
Potatoes
Food for Fitness
Cheese