Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Boycott! 2/18 - 2/25

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
KittyT said:
Oh, so true. And a lot of people here are not willing to pay what an item's worth, so they're not interested.

Since they announced the fee changes on Ebay, though, most of my items have been selling for quite a bit less than they would have 2 months ago.

Which makes NO sense to me since supposedly this is a board full of people who appreciate vintage for what it's worth.

Lon Goval

Familiar Face
What are the other auction sites that people are using? I look at one other auction site (store type) for purchases and have found a few hats there.

Ralph

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Pink Dahlia said:
Which makes NO sense to me since supposedly this is a board full of people who appreciate vintage for what it's worth.

Or it could be that people here are posting stuff to the Classifieds only if they think it won't bring in a buck on Ebay, it's stuff that's not as nice, and that could be why loungers aren't as interested. Who knows?

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
I guess my question is (and I have not been paying attention so this is a sincere query), have people here -stated- they didn't want to pay what an item's worth?

Or is it the lack of response that makes you believe that?

I know for myself, I would love to buy from people here, but 98% of whats listed would not fit me, so at that point it becomes a moot point in terms of price.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Miss Neecerie said:
I guess my question is (and I have not been paying attention so this is a sincere query), have people here -stated- they didn't want to pay what an item's worth?

Or is it the lack of response that makes you believe that?

I know for myself, I would love to buy from people here, but 98% of whats listed would not fit me, so at that point it becomes a moot point in terms of price.

No, I don't think anyone has stated that outright. And you're right - a lot of times fit or personal taste is certainly an issue. I guess I've just perceived that the nicest items are getting posted on Ebay and the ones that wouldn't necessarily bring in as much money on Ebay are the ones that get posted for FL members only. I have been known to be wrong, though, and that's just my perception based on my frequent scourings of the Classifies for stuff that's good.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Fair enough..Like I said...I -glance- over classifieds and when I realise its clothes (and not accessories or shoes) and I then vaguely recall what size the seller is...I tend not to pay as much attention to the clothes....knowing they won't fit.

Was just wondering if I missed some sort of 'you charge too much' controversy. hehe

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
KittyT said:
No, I don't think anyone has stated that outright. And you're right - a lot of times fit or personal taste is certainly an issue. I guess I've just perceived that the nicest items are getting posted on Ebay and the ones that wouldn't necessarily bring in as much money on Ebay are the ones that get posted for FL members only. I have been known to be wrong, though, and that's just my perception based on my frequent scourings of the Classifies for stuff that's good.

No true in my case. I post items first here before I put them on the Bay. And my stuff's not crap. :)

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Boycott update

From my seller friend again. I don't know her source for these numbers:

Well, the boycott hasn't even started yet and they're losing listings by the day!

eBay
16,229,833 (today's listing count)

-347293 auction listings down from yesterday

-2.14% (percent down for Feb)
February 15, 2008 7:05 pm

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
KittyT said:
From my seller friend again. I don't know her source for these numbers:

www.powersellersunite.com has a page that lists acution site counts. It can be reached here. It not only lists eBay, but also a host of other sites as well for comparison.

I, too, am a bit annoyed at eBay. I was just trying to get started on selling stuff I've accumulated when this bit came up. I'm not that fussed about the change to the feedback system though that seems to be the major issue for a lot of sellers. I guess I'm more buyer than seller still! As a buyer I've never liked the bit where sellers won't leave you feedback until you've left it for them. As others have observed, I feel my part as a buyer is done once I've paid for the item. Perhaps what ebay should have done (if they're going to limit buyer feedback anyway) is to have limited negative feedback for buyers to non-paying buyers. Or set it up so that a buyer cannot leave feedback until the seller has left it for the buyer. After all, once a buyer has a few feedbacks it's not as critical for them to receive feedback as it is for the seller to do so.

I'm looking at other selling options as well. It'll be interesting to see how this goes, but somehow I doubt eBay will back down.

Cheers,
Tom

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Pink Dahlia said:
I have posted a number of dresses on the Lounge in the past. I currently have one pattern no one's interested in. Not that I'll be running over to eBay to list these items but I have only sold a few of my very nice items on the Lounge. Sometimes no one here wants what you have.

Actually, I sent you a PM a while ago...PM if interested.

VB

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Vintage Betty said:
Actually, I sent you a PM a while ago...PM if interested.

VB

Same problem as a while ago, Betty, your mailbox is full. But no worries I already sold the patterns as I need money more than stuff. I wish stuff paid my bills.

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
My local news mentioned this. I didn't stay up to watch the piece but they basically called it petty. I wish I would have watched it because I'd like to send an e-mail. I am just suprised the media would take Ebay's part.

pgoat

One Too Many
celtic said:
I'm in. I've been buying a lot lately, so my wallet needs a break anyhow. :eusa_doh:
ditto.

tho I did wanna sell some stuff....I guess with the changes I may wanna seek other internet options anyway....Craig's List, here I come......

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
deadpandiva said:
My local news mentioned this. I didn't stay up to watch the piece but they basically called it petty. I wish I would have watched it because I'd like to send an e-mail. I am just suprised the media would take Ebay's part.

Well if it was Fox News, I wouldn't find it surprising at all? Funny that they would call it "petty". People have been using the word "petty" anytime anybody has ever stood up for their rights.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
deadpandiva said:
I wish I wouls have stayed up to watch it. I really want to send an angry e-mail.

No worries. If this channel ever does follow-up on their stories, they can let the Ebay numbers speak for themselves :)

Mike Hammer

New in Town
I know there are a lot of very, very angry sellers who have stopped listing. I read an interview with E-Bay's new CEO and quite honestly, the guy came across as an arrogant you-know-what. Basically E-Bay has decided that the powersellers are the ones who are making the company all the money (and they are right in many ways) so screw the little guys-we don't need 'em. The fact that they are altering the feedback system so that the buyer has the power to essentially hold the seller hostage is just icing on the cake.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
The more I've dug around reading about all the changes, the worse it gets. It does indeed seem like this new CEO wants to forget all about eBay's roots and become the world's largest drop-shipping site instead of the world's largest online fleamarket.

The issues that have been mentioned are just the tip of the iceberg. Once you start digging you find more and more changes that seem designed to drive away the small seller, including things like tweaking the search function so that it brings up sellers that fit certain criteria first (not necessarily the item itself), making it the default search and calling it "Best Match."

This whole thing is certainly creating a lot of opportunities, or at least getting sellers to start considering other options. Many sellers are realizing that they're better off just selling off their own web sites, others are testing the waters at other auction sites. As for those other sites, this uproar is the best thing that could have happened to them--they're getting free publicity in the news!

I'm mulling over my own options as someone who recently started selling again on eBay. Wonder if I were to set up an auction site for vintage hats and clothing, would "they" come?

Regards,
Tom

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Boycott??

I'm way ahead of the game. :) Already started my own unofficial boycott as soon as I heard about all this. In fact I could see the writing on the wall the last time they raised their rates. My listings have steadily dropped since last summer, and I haven't listed anything recently. It just isn't worth the trouble and expense now. Just when I was really doing fairly well too,...:mad:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
islamicjankari