Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

eBay hats outrageously priced

Bill Hughes

My Mail is Forwarded Here
According to the auction the $1,300 hat in question was owned and autographed by Glenn St. Charles. I think the seller is trying to capitalize on that. It obviously isn’t working since this same fedora has been getting relisted for months.

I have watched fedoras listed way to high for me and after enough time getting it at a price I was willing to pay. I recently paid $170 for one that had been listed for $400 for several months.

You may be right, but what causes me to retain my skepticism is an earlier comment in this thread that MondoFW made, as it doesn't sound like the seller knows the market:

(Interestingly, last night I contacted the seller of this:
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/231816571323
I apologize if this is someone here, but he gave me a VERY convoluted and insufficient justification for the price tag of this item.)

If it was my listing I don't think I would have felt the need to justify the price to a perspective buyer. The price speaks for itself.

I wouldn't go into a jewelry store and ask them why a Rolex cost so much when my Citizen works just as well. If the price is too high for me I move on. If I thought there was a mistake in the price that's different (e.g. a hat selling for $10000 when I suspect it was meant to be $100.00). I'm also sure you will find buyers and sellers who run the spectrum from well-informed to completely ignorant.

All sorts of items have huge markups and represent questionable value, and if it is not worth it to you you don't have to buy it. The fact that it might be worth it to someone else is their business. I might not like the upward pressure it places on the prices of items I'm interested in, but that's how market economies work. I also don't like it that I get wet when it rains. :)

Separately, I had a thought about My Man Godfrey... the fedora worn by the protagonist, William Powell in this 1936 film, looks very much like Art Fawcett's Off The Rack in Dove. Great looking hat! Carole Lombard was good in the film, but William Powell stole the show, IMO.

According to the auction the $1,300 hat in question was owned and autographed by Glenn St. Charles. I think the seller is trying to capitalize on that. It obviously isn’t working since this same fedora has been getting relisted for months.

I have watched fedoras listed way to high for me and after enough time getting it at a price I was willing to pay. I recently paid $170 for one that had been listed for $400 for several months.

I've also made offers for less than half the asking price and occasionally they are accepted.

Jhoff_1979

One of the Regulars
Funny this thread pops up. I'm trying to decide if I should pull the trigger on a new Stratoliner for 175.00 which includes shipping or order a Campdraft for 130.00 including shipping. Any preferences on the 2?

I do not own an Akubra, however, I do own 3 modern Stratoliners (Black, Silverbelly and Caribou). I LOVE them!! If given the opportunity to purchase another Stratoliner I certainly would.

As far as the price, you need to keep an eye out on Amazon, Stetson themselves and Ebay. I have had great luck on all 3.

Perfect example was my last purchase. Straight from Stetson. I got a my Strat in Silverbelly and the $75 travel throw blanket for $140 including shipping!! So I paid $140 for the Strat and got the blanket for free!

Otherwise on Amazon I have snagged my Caribou Strat for $150 and my Black Strat through Sewmaster 53 on Ebay for $125

Hope this summary helped you in some small way. Outside of those 3 places, when it comes to a Stetson, I go nowhere else and have complete satisfaction.

Truth be told I am a Stetson guy but that is neither here nor there. Quality and prices can and are found.

I do not own an Akubra, however, I do own 3 modern Stratoliners (Black, Silverbelly and Caribou). I LOVE them!! If given the opportunity to purchase another Stratoliner I certainly would.

As far as the price, you need to keep an eye out on Amazon, Stetson themselves and Ebay. I have had great luck on all 3.

Perfect example was my last purchase. Straight from Stetson. I got a my Strat in Silverbelly and the $75 travel throw blanket for $140 including shipping!! So I paid $140 for the Strat and got the blanket for free!

Otherwise on Amazon I have snagged my Caribou Strat for $150 and my Black Strat through Sewmaster 53 on Ebay for $125

Hope this summary helped you in some small way. Outside of those 3 places, when it comes to a Stetson, I go nowhere else and have complete satisfaction.

Truth be told I am a Stetson guy but that is neither here nor there. Quality and prices can and are found.

If you prefer new Stetsons, add the Hatco Garland outlet to your list. Great deals on "factory seconds" that are essentially great hats. Some with pretty minor flaws. Many of us have shopped there with success.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

I collect and enjoy wearing pre -1950s examples, and a majority of what i have are extremely hard to come across.

To me, what i have paid for some is extremely worth it. No remorse, put your highest number on the auction, and if you are out bid than someone wanted it more. no regrets doing that method at all.

Agreed, but you gotta admit, sometimes you look at seller asking prices and wonder what they're thinking.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
I collect and enjoy wearing pre -1950s examples, and a majority of what i have are extremely hard to come across.

To me, what i have paid for some is extremely worth it. No remorse, put your highest number on the auction, and if you are out bid than someone wanted it more. no regrets doing that method at all.
agreed

some of the pieces I have I'll never come across again ... especially not in this condition

zero regrets

Tims prices are insane ...yes... and he has a few clones out there

but $300 for a hat that you may never see again is really not that much

you have to know what you are looking at

all hats are not created equal so to speak

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy