Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

:D
I must say that when it comes to vintage hats, I'm glad I'm a woman because I don't think you can find hats from those eras for mens' hats under $100 and the competition would have been fierce. I feel like a kid in a candy store that I have all to myself sometimes:whoo:

I often come across great women's hats from that era. As you said the men's hats from that era are rare and go for higher prices although I do come across the occasional steal. :)

Last edited:

Doomstein

One of the Regulars
My newest email gripe from ebay. I don't own a cat. :)

"Thank you for sending the replacement hat. The smell of cat urine puts it above all the rest. When I'm ready to purchase a quality (read expensive) hat, I'll be sure to contact you... last!"

I'm sure the guy is a lounge member. Now, that's a great way to make me take care of you. :) I will add that it says replacement because he pulled the backweave out of his first hat and I'd sent him another (gratis).

What a guy : D

barrowjh

One Too Many
Thanks Tom. I was surprised, expecting to pay more or not even win that one. Surprising lull in the market's desire for Strats, especially considering it is a color other than silver belly.

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
BossofthePlains-1.jpg

Stamped "4 x beaver - Boss of the Plains - Death Valley 49ers"

So at least I know it is not buffalo fur, i.e.- not an Austral.

4x says to me 8o's or later.

Is the box shown the same as the current Stetson boxes?

Anyone know when/if the mighty Hatco might have put these out?

Maybe a special run f/ the Death Valley 49ers? [huh]

Anyway- I am glad to have one at last!

8:20 EST ~

Oops

Got this today. Wow. As close as I reckon I'll ever get to the "ur"-hat, it needs a stretch but these 4x will take it. I have a James Dean 4x from '86 that took a hella stretch & kept it.

I got a reply from the Death Valley 49ers as follows:

"How special it is that you recently purchased a Death Valley 49'er "Boss Of The Plains " Stetson hat!! Those are only worn by Directors in the DV49'er organization! I am currently on the road on my way to the DV49'er Board Meeting & I will get back to you next week, as I can give you more information at that time! May I ask you where you purchased this gem?

Thanks for your e-mail, Bev Malley, President, DV 49'ers
"

> I recently bought the above hat. It is embossed with "4 x beaver - Boss of the Plains - Death Valley 49ers".
>
> Any chance you, or one of your members, could tell me an approximate year of production or any details about the hat?
>
> Thanks & kudos to your' worthy organization.
>
> Best,

I dunno...she sounded a bit politely pissed. "How special" seems to have a bit of a condescending tone to it... patronizing, hostile...disapproving ...The Church Lady.

Or maybe it's just me. [huh]

Last edited:

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think my favorite bit was the "Those are only worn by Directors in the DV49'er organization!" :)

Anyway, congrats on winning that hat. The Death Valley 49ers were a big inspiration for me when I was deciding on the specs for my first custom lid, and it's good to see a Stetson BotP model without the cruddy buffalo felt.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
I think my favorite bit was the "Those are only worn by Directors in the DV49'er organization!" :)

Anyway, congrats on winning that hat. The Death Valley 49ers were a big inspiration for me when I was deciding on the specs for my first custom lid, and it's good to see a Stetson BotP model without the cruddy buffalo felt.

As an aside, Knudsen Hats makes the BotP model in 4x Stetson fur felt and their own (presumably Westchester) felt: http://knudsenhats.com/Hatdept/Bossoftheplains.html

Grizzly Adams

A-List Customer
I dunno...she sounded a bit politely pissed. "How special" seems to have a bit of a condescending tone to it... patronizing, hostile...disapproving ...The Church Lady.

Or maybe it's just me. [huh]

Nope, she's pissed.:eeek: Gonna wack you for sure!:D However, if she ever finds out who the schmuck is that sold his hat......well, it ain't gonna be pretty!:kick:

fedoracentric

Banned
Rick Blaine: I guess it just shows that people can read anything into an email. As I read it, it just seemed like she was happy for you. I think inferring an unheard tone in the written word can very often lead to mistaken opinions of the writer's intentions.

Anyway...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou