Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Hi All

can someone post the fedoras. # 217130013700 on ebay?
thank you and best regards.
CCJ

The easy way for me is to just put your mouse pointer right on the address bar when you are viewing an eBay item, use the right click side of the mouse on it, see the option "copy" and click it....then when you are posting here, just right click in the area that you type in here, you will see the option, "paste", select that and you will have the link right where it needs to be.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
http://www.ebay.com/itm/320925331577?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
$(KGrHqVHJCkE+Q4RwIUCBP2ST4jk+Q~~60_57.JPG

(seller's photo)

Took a chance on this poorly photographed longhair Knox Foxhound. BIN price was right. Seems to be similar to this one which was for sale on the lounge a few months ago, minus the plastic on the liner and what seems like a faded and/or dirtier ribbon.

Figured it would make a good look for winter. Plus I've wanted a heathered felt. Didn't necessarily want a long hair, but sometimes a deal is a deal.

Lotsahats

One Too Many
I've lost a few auctions lately, only to see the hat go right back up for trade or sale in other places. I'd have given those hats a happy home, right on my head! lol It's a hard-knock life building a collection of hats to wear. ;)

Aaron

The hat in question, being a open road with what appears to be an additional wide ribbon and bow, and of course a wider edge ribbon treatment, did happen to sell for a nose bleed high final price. However, it is a nice looking hat. A more reasonable normal bid and sale for maybe $150.00 or there about, would have been more in the ball park. The buyer of that hat may find out there was a reason for the hat having a new fat ribbon and bow installed? I could be wrong, but I tend to think the hat was recently worked on, cleaned and blocked to the open crown, ribbon and bow installed and then set loose on eBay. Not a bad looking hat. Wish I would have sold it for that price. lol!

In original Open Road configuration, this hat isn't worth the final bid price. Taken as a felt blank & reworked to WAR & wider brim binding plus re-block, it still isn't worth that except for the fact that bidders were willing to take it there. If this was a pristine version of a true WAR Open Road from the 1930's, I could see that price...you could buy a good vintage Open Road & have this done to it much cheaper than what this auction brought...more about winning the auction than the value of the hat being bought...

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
In original Open Road configuration, this hat isn't worth the final bid price. Taken as a felt blank & reworked to WAR & wider brim binding plus re-block, it still isn't worth that except for the fact that bidders were willing to take it there. If this was a pristine version of a true WAR Open Road from the 1930's, I could see that price...you could buy a good vintage Open Road & have this done to it much cheaper than what this auction brought...more about winning the auction than the value of the hat being bought...

I sure agree about that. There have been a few Vintage thin ribbons that have had someone put a wide ribbon on it, to hide some sad issues with moth bites and discolorations. I guess that is why myself I normally would stick to buying what is "standard" equipment on a hat and not anything that has been jazzed up by someone else! lol!

fashion frank

One Too Many
BIG TIME SCORE

Hello everyone , I am right now jumping up and down in my man cave as I just sniped this off of free bay about two minutes ago what a score look at the price !

All the Best ,Fashion Frank

http://www.ebay.com/itm/STETSON-COW...=&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

A little tea kettle steaming /reshaping into a fedora style and I'm golden !!!!~:D

P.S. If you look inside the brim where your forehead would go, you can make out "open road "
I don't think a lot of people picked up on that !

Last edited:

barrowjh

One Too Many
Oh, you will have an easy time putting together an awesome collection if your head is a 6 7/8. A ton of those size hats have survived the years, but generations of 'super-size me' do not fit into that size anymore. You should continue to be selective in what you bid on, for if you can fit into a 6 7/8 then you enjoy a buyer's market.

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Oh, you will have an easy time putting together an awesome collection if your head is a 6 7/8. A ton of those size hats have survived the years, but generations of 'super-size me' do not fit into that size anymore. You should continue to be selective in what you bid on, for if you can fit into a 6 7/8 then you enjoy a buyer's market.
Ain't it the truth!?

Nice score, Frank, even with the stout shipping charge.

barrowjh

One Too Many
This is my latest adventure - won tonight - Francato Cappello

I think the $33 shipping must have scared off bidders, but it changed to just $16 when I asked the seller to check on the shipping, so the deal is done now, hat plus shipping only $38. Appears to be a beaver blend (maybe all beaver) cav edge with oilskin moisture barrier behind the sweatband. I hope the brim is at least 2 1/2 in but was afraid to ask - I've noticed that too many detailed questions & answers do draw a crowd, so I gambled on the brim width.

Won this cobalta-fleck borsalino cav edge back in mid-December - note that the seller stated the brim width was 2 1/2, but when it arrived it is only 2 3/8. I kept it anyway and sent it off to Optimo to get a new sweatband, I can sacrifice 1/8 inch to wear that felt, a 'heather' made of mostly grey fur with some cobalt (navy blue) felt mixed in, so I'm calling it cobalta-fleck. The ribbon is also very special, a relatively normal bow until you get a close look at the knot, a shark-gill pleat across the leading side of the knot, I have never seen that before. Looking forward to wearing this one after it gets back from Optimo.

Lotsahats

One Too Many
A ton of those size hats have survived the years, but generations of 'super-size me' do not fit into that size anymore.
Fascinating thesis. Do we know for certain that people have bigger coconuts now? Anecdotal evidence isn't certain; I want to see data! :)

Aaron

barrowjh

One Too Many
Lotsahats, sounds like a research project to me. I'm going on anecdotal evidence, observation, and what I have heard from others. Observation is the proliferation of 6 7/8 and 7 hats on ebay, generally selling for a fraction of what the same hat will fetch if in size 7 3/8 or 7 1/2. Greater demand for larger sizes is demonstrated on ebay every hour. A former plant manager at the Winchester felting operation told me that head sizes had changed also; he advised me that I would have little difficulty building a collection with size 7 1/8, saying 'it used to be the most common size, but not anymore.' I have no data other than these.

Lotsahats

One Too Many
You could be dead on, too, JH. Better nutrition does make for bigger people, so even leaving the obesity epidemic out of it, folks might just have bigger melons.

Sometimes I think I could have had so much fun as a sociologist. :)

Aaron

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Have to chime in here, I see the most wonderful hats all the time on eBay and Etsy...a so slight small amount of those knock out gems are in my size...the majority of them are less that a size 7. Not a complaint, but...lol...I really do think the nice people that have a smaller head size have it made for finding gems if they all but look....you all have no idea at times how I wish the hats I am looking at were several larger sized....(sigh)....that open road (looks like late 1950'-60's) is such a great find for Fashion Frank.

Miamibruno

One Too Many
A little tea kettle steaming /reshaping into a fedora style and I'm golden !!!!~:D

P.S. If you look inside the brim where your forehead would go, you can make out "open road "
I don't think a lot of people picked up on that ![/QUOTE]

Fashion Frank,

Congratulations on your find. I'm jealous. But just a quick question. I'm new to the world of hats though I have been wearing cheap fedoras for some time now. I am uninitiated in the ways of the felt. I have seen a few Stetson Open Roads on eBay which were cowboy style and some that were fedora style. It seems you are implying that through the use of steam, you can reshape a cowboy to a fedora. Is this correct? Are there any (4X or otherwise) on which you could not do this?

I appreciate whatever wisdom you can impart.

And again, nice snipe.

Adrian

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn