Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Walt

One of the Regulars
It sure would be interesting to question the high bidders on that one to know if they really thought that one was worth that much to them, and if yes exactly how did they arrive at that conclusion. Or was this an example of bidding crazy high expecting that no one else would bid crazy high so you can guarantee you don't lose by one dollar. I'm convinced a certain percentage of these "way over paying for something" cases is caused by the latter.

Auctions like this where you can lose in the final seconds with no way to respond seems to create this sort of thing from time to time....

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
This is purely speculative, but I'd imagine somebody probably didn't think to assume that the hat had been modified (or had a wrong sweatband) and was some rare variant.

Lotsahats

One Too Many
This is purely speculative, but I'd imagine somebody probably didn't think to assume that the hat had been modified (or had a wrong sweatband) and was some rare variant.
That's as good a guess as any. I keep thinking that you can get a nice, custom hat for that much.

Aaron

fashion frank

One Too Many
Wow... another great find. I love the sweet provenance. Also love these old Borso liners where the company logo shares space with the retailer. This older Borso shares a similar imprint.

ubborso3.jpg

Man these old bowlers are way too cool , you can get an education just on them alone .
I love the inner liners on them, when you read them they call to you from another time long ago !

Alan that clip made my mouth water , and you gotta love the boater hat on the guy at the start of the clip .

All the best ,Fashion Frank

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
I tried:

0 results found for 217130013700 Save search
Your search returned 0 items.

Either the auction has already ended or the # is incorrect.

CCJ, it would be most helpful if you just copied the URL of the auction page from your browser. There's nothing to it. Same as bookmarking a page. You don't have to use the "hidden link" option of the Fedora Lounge system if you don't want to - you know, the blue button next to the smiley where it says link.

We're not supposed to post auction numbers here anyway according to the FL posting guidelines.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
The hat in question, being a open road with what appears to be an additional wide ribbon and bow, and of course a wider edge ribbon treatment, did happen to sell for a nose bleed high final price. However, it is a nice looking hat. A more reasonable normal bid and sale for maybe $150.00 or there about, would have been more in the ball park. The buyer of that hat may find out there was a reason for the hat having a new fat ribbon and bow installed? I could be wrong, but I tend to think the hat was recently worked on, cleaned and blocked to the open crown, ribbon and bow installed and then set loose on eBay. Not a bad looking hat. Wish I would have sold it for that price. lol!

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Just reeled this in for nutin'

while trolling the bottom of the bay.

ItalianFed_zps3806f1cc.jpg
Italianfedint_zps6fc1000b.jpg

A no name Italian fur felt cappello, fer just a few shekels.
A bit of a LAC, but may have potential.
The grossgrain sweatband makes me wonder if it's a traveler.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Do you find any train tickets under the inside of the sweatband? It sure looks to me like a traveler! Nice catch as well. All aboard!!!!!

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
That hasn't been true in years.

Well, I was only referring to this part of the eBay Auction Links Permitted sticky.

"From here on out, we won't discourage the posting of such links. In fact, if you link to an auction, please post the link itself. Mentions of auction item numbers or seller names will be removed, If you're going to do it, do it properly."

Last edited:

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.

Another winning win for you. The brim on that hat is a bit winky blinky, so when you get it see if you place the hat in a hat box with nothing touching the brim after you try to smooth it into shape. It may get back to the shape it was originally in. If not, you can always grab a cotton clothe and break out the stem iron and ironing board and "smooth" lightly around the brim in any areas that are winkly blinky....keep the cotton clothe between the iron and the hat and put the iron on it's highest steam setting and do not spend much time over any one area of that hat with the iron....be careful, take your time....never rush working on a hat...nice find wish I would have noticed it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn