Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Historyteach24

Call Me a Cab
Triidene I dont care if it was 5 bucks when it was made it is all about demand. A whippet cost 5 to 10 dollars back in the day and look at what those badboys are fetching in the larger sizes ! You used to be able to buy lunch for a quarter

Last edited:
The discussion of quality vs. cost vs. what one would consider spending on a hat is one that comes up here often as it did back when these hats were first made and sold. I would direct you to Carouselvic's posting on another thread. In 1938, a Stetson Playboy and a Stetson Special sold for $5.00. Big Stetson westerns were available at $5-10 and competing brands at less than $5. At the same time one could order a clear beaver version of the western styles and pay 10 times the price. I have examples of the Playboy and Special from this era and they are very nice hats. I also own a 5X clear beaver c. 1940 which is something else altogether.

To my mind, these early $5.00 Stetsons (I would include the first generation Stratoliner which sold for a buck fifty more in 1941) are special hats because they retain qualities in felt and construction from an earlier era. They are also rare to find in very good condition. 1950s models are more common and less desirable to me. But when either comes up for auction in very good condition I would not be surprised to see them sell above $200 in larger sizes. Would a 1940 5X or 7X sell at ten times this price? No. I think at most it will go for 2 to 3 times the current price of the $5 hat and then only if a couple of collectors dive in with big bids. These old high end hats come up very rarely. If they were custom order from Miller-Stockman, they were probably made in relatively small quantities back in the day.

There are no rational answers to what a vintage hat is worth... only to what you are willing to pay. I would not look to Ebay in December for the best deals. And I would look towards the higher end hats for the best value for your money. Just don't bid against me, OK?

DJH

I'll Lock Up
I would not look to Ebay in December for the best deals. And I would look towards the higher end hats for the best value for your money.

Totally agree - the higher end hats are relative bargains compared to the Royal Stetson (the bottom of the quality pile) Whippets and Stratoliners. Heck look at the nice Stetson 3X Josh has in the classifieds. A half of what Stratoliners are selling for now (even in that small size) for a better hat.

Also, think of buying out of season - good deals on straw hats in winter and fur felts in the heat of midsummer.

don't forget, 10 dollars was not a give away in 1940. My grandfather earned a little over .50 an hour during that time.
Right, a buck then was so much more to a buck now. Add to the fact that these items had to survive 50 to 70 years, are not being made anymore & shown that HatCo isn't willing to do a close replication makes the value to enthusiasts keep going up. What makes these low end models even more valuable in near pristine condition is how lightweight they were made & still survived. What multiple to original price would a near pristine, original condition 1950s Harley-Davidson bring at auction?

If you're willing to pay over $250 for one of those vintage hats, you can get a decent bargain by having a nice custom made. Art did me a very nice lightweight Strat clone for a about $300 with the clunker and FL discount. He's fast and good.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
We looked at that green hat on eBay, it is a nice hat and fairly old, would maybe need a reblock or at least some deep steaming and pushing and a pulling to get it up to snuff shape wise....not too much a fan of green as a color however. Maybe a green hat reminds me too much of a uniform, just can't see me wearing green..(unless you want to pin some hundred dollar bills all over me) lol~!

randooch

I'll Lock Up
I thought that replacing the self-felt ribbon with some 1-inch black grosgrain and a slice of deep blue (a la Art Fawcett) would really make the hat shine. Alas, I was yet again the runner-up. :(

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It is hard to find a good bargain on 7-3/8 and 7-1/2 hats. It is harder still to find ones that aren't Silverbelly or tan. When I saw it, I pulled so hard I practically broke the trigger lol.

Lotsahats

One Too Many
It is hard to find a good bargain on 7-3/8 and 7-1/2 hats. It is harder still to find ones that aren't Silverbelly or tan. When I saw it, I pulled so hard I practically broke the trigger lol.
You should see the New Hats thread for the 7-3/8 I scored for $30!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael