Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Walt

One of the Regulars
I can't believe what this one sold for given it is really nothing more than a run-of-the-mill 1970's or later Stetson western made to look like a fedora with a leather outer band I think most of us would say is rather ugly! At least the leather for sure...

$(KGrHqZ,!loFCCP8tLUwBQ)jTKGE2w~~60_57.JPG

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-STETSON-FEDORA-WESTERN-HAT-4XBEAVER-FUR-FELT-SZ-7-1-2-LG-OVAL-GR-COND-/150963019006

Modern westerns like that usually sell for a lot less...at most maybe a third of what this one got but usually a lot less than even that that so wow talk about about a bid frenzy! I can't imagine paying that much for that... Now a pre-WW2 Stetson western or a nice 50's OR 100 or 7x clear beaver but for this!?!?!?!? :confused:

Last edited:

bond

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I guess you could say "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" on that one. Someone must of liked that color a lot .

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Tri, it is all supply and demand. Vintage Stratoliners are popular right now and since the supply is limited, the price is high - especially for those large sizes. Actually even small sizes are expensive right now. I've bought 3 of them for about the same total price people are currently paying for one.

If you want a hat of that style you do have a few choices:

eBay and pay what you need to

Get a modern Stetson Stratoliner - about $160 I believe and generally considered to be poor quality compared to the vintage model.

Get a custom Stratoliner clone from Art or another hatter.

Oh, a fourth option is to check the classifieds here. I've seen a few nice Strats there - often better pricing than eBay.

tridentine

Suspended
Tri, it is all supply and demand. Vintage Stratoliners are popular right now and since the supply is limited, the price is high - especially for those large sizes. Actually even small sizes are expensive right now. I've bought 3 of them for about the same total price people are currently paying for one.

If you want a hat of that style you do have a few choices:

eBay and pay what you need to

Get a modern Stetson Stratoliner - about $160 I believe and generally considered to be poor quality compared to the vintage model.

Get a custom Stratoliner clone from Art or another hatter.

Oh, a fourth option is to check the classifieds here. I've seen a few nice Strats there - often better pricing than eBay.
Thank you all, I am still learning.
I will be patient and wait for a good vintage to show up on the classifieds or ebay.
Thank you

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn