Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

barrowjh

One Too Many
Greg, does the listing indicate how long it was online before someone bought it? There was only one bidder, so maybe someone saw that listing when it first came online and jumped on the price without looking at the shipping costs. That may be why Landman missed it on his searches; it may have been available for only a relatively short period of time.

Walt

One of the Regulars
I couldn't find that hat under completed listings until I searched under the seller's name. Using the words from the description heading including the entire set of words doesn't find it at all for me. Search stings one would reasonably expect to find it don't....

Since the hat was listed under normal categories it has me perplexed and determined to figure out why it doesn't show up in completed listing searches.

The ebay search engine is limited by how the seller lists the item, but their search engine also sucks big time!

Need to find some time to play with the API's and completely bypass the web interface to see if better results are obtainable that way.

Walt

One of the Regulars
Greg, does the listing indicate how long it was online before someone bought it? There was only one bidder, so maybe someone saw that listing when it first came online and jumped on the price without looking at the shipping costs. That may be why Landman missed it on his searches; it may have been available for only a relatively short period of time.

The item was up for about 2 hours and 14 minutes:

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&_trksid=p2047675.l2565&rt=nc&item=261143261222

Walt

One of the Regulars
Most likely the seller made a typo when entering the weight of the item hence the ridiculous shipping and would they really try to charge the buyer that or not correct it when the buyer raises a flag.

Also, would ebay really try to hold the buyer to paying that high shipping? Maybe if it were a car but for a small and light-weight item it seems very unlikely...but then sometimes ebay does things that are beyond comprehension.

Walt

One of the Regulars
JEEPERS!

90000shipping.jpg
:pound:

Greg, didn't you buy this hat? It looks like your user id as the BIN buyer. :D

barrowjh

One Too Many
I just looked at the original listing, and the seller had the shipping listed as 9.00. So, I would expect the buyer could reasonably argue that the $900 is clearly a mistake. Here is that information:

"Up for auction is an excellent 1960s Cargill Netrena Open Road Western Fedora size 7 1/2 . Light Tan 2 34" brim with excellent shoe string ribbon . Thins hat is in excellent lightly worn condition.Shipping 9.00.GOOD LUCK!!!!"

It looks to me like the buyer may have scored an awesome STEAL. Congrats to whomever it was, if so, because scoring a 7 1/2 of that quality and condition for under $100 is rare even at my size, 7 1/8, and EXTREMELY RARE for size 7 1/2.

Last edited:

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Greg, didn't you buy this hat? It looks like your user id as the BIN buyer. :D

Quite right ;)

I just looked at the original listing, and the seller had the shipping listed as 9.00. So, I would expect the buyer could reasonably argue that the $900 is clearly a mistake. Here is that information:

"Up for auction is an excellent 1960s Cargill Netrena Open Road Western Fedora size 7 1/2 . Light Tan 2 34" brim with excellent shoe string ribbon . Thins hat is in excellent lightly worn condition.Shipping 9.00.GOOD LUCK!!!!"

It looks to me like the buyer may have scored an awesome STEAL. Congrats to whomever it was, if so, because scoring a 7 1/2 of that quality and condition for under $100 is rare even at my size, 7 1/8, and EXTREMELY RARE for size 7 1/2.

Thank you Mr. Barrow, though I WILL confess I had hoped the seller misspelled "nutria"! lol

barrowjh

One Too Many
It is a darned nice looking OR style hat in size 7 1/2, and the seller's information does not clearly indicate the manufacturer. I suspect it is worth at least what you paid for it. It did not look like a 1970s or later hat to me.

Rick Blaine

It is a darned nice looking OR style hat in size 7 1/2, and the seller's information does not clearly indicate the manufacturer. I suspect it is worth at least what you paid for it. It did not look like a 1970s or later hat to me.

Naw... me too neither,
The wider sweat, too, argues an earlier date.
I imagine this was a feed salesman's promo, eh?
From Iowa, my natal State!
Even if it's a dog, well hell, I've paid more for less! :eek:

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
Just won what the seller claimed to be a 1920s Stetson. Does NOT have the original liner (but I will be looking around for one...), and the sweatband was replaced (the original comes with the hat, but looks really bad). When it arrived, I will be looking for a new hatband. The one on it looks horrid, so if anyone wants to trade for it, let me know, or please tell me some 1920's (or whatever era that hat is from) colors & widths.

Here are some auction photos.

kgrhqn10.jpg

kgrhqz10.jpg

kgrhqv10.jpg

kgrhqj10.jpg

Rick Blaine

Nice

I think what you have is a very good cut down cowboy hat conversion, I may well be quite mistaken tho', as the felt looks like quite a thin dress weight. I dunno 'bout 2o's. Whatever it started life as, if it's original capline is over 25 yrs. old, it is likely better felt than most any you will find today, short of a custom.

Yes, the band is hideous, (sorry, dude). I'd get a hitched horsehair band, there is also a fella selling very reasonable leather ranger type buckled leather band that would look good too. So would a puggaree and you can alter their width & swap them at whim and they are cheap. Pugs look smart & elegant on felt, IMO. [huh]

Just won what the seller claimed to be a 1920s Stetson. Does NOT have the original liner (but I will be looking around for one...), and the sweatband was replaced (the original comes with the hat, but looks really bad). When it arrived, I will be looking for a new hatband. The one on it looks horrid, so if anyone wants to trade for it, let me know, or please tell me some 1920's (or whatever era that hat is from) colors & widths.

Here are some auction photos.

kgrhqn10.jpg

kgrhqz10.jpg

kgrhqv10.jpg

kgrhqj10.jpg

Walt

One of the Regulars
The seller "Dazzerdog" takes cowboy hats and steams the brims to make them look fedora like and recreases them (without blocks) to a basic diamond fedora. I don't think he is cutting them though of course maybe it was that way when he got it.

I also don't care for his replacement outer bands, but they sell so someone does apparently or they are replacing them.

I'm curious about his sweatband and liner replacement work. Apparently he may actually be doing that himself. It would be nice to hear how good that work is when you get it. Some of the hats a few months back when he first started doing that didn't look very good though lately they have been looking a lot better so apparently it has improved.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart