Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mens-Vintag...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Just got this one, a 6 7/8 blue Dobbs. My Dobbs Gay Prince is a 6 7/8 as well, and only required the gentlest of stretching to fit, so I'm hoping this one will as well. Looks like the vintage equivalent of my Optimo Dillinger (actually the block may even be the same, they're very, very, similar).
$(KGrHqFHJCEFIu9y!z9oBSOoulv0Tw~~60_57.JPG

ofcoursemyhorse

Practically Family
Lovely shade of blue on that Dobbs. That seller is a treasure trove of incredible hats. He's the one I bought the Stetson Medalist from that went Short Balding Guy's way after the realization that no amount of effort would make it fit without ruining an already delicate hat.

Last edited:

Lotsahats

One Too Many
Jared, what a great find! Will you post a noggin shot when you get it?

I love that look of stingy brim and high crown. I just don't think I can pull it off myself unfortunately. :)

It's possible that it's German. Are you familiar with such a label? The only one in the hat, with an inscrutable "43" - maybe an inspector's mark?

I think there is a strong chance it's was made by either a German or Austrian maker. Inspection numbers stamps are common with German and Austrian hats from that time period.

Jared, Great find with the blue Dobbs!

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Thanks gents, it looks like a nice hat. I've had some good scores on these 50's-60's hats. I will definitely post noggin pics when it arrives. Blue will be a new color for me, and not one in my usual wardrobe (such as it is), so this will be interesting!

John Galt

Vendor
Picked this blue fedora up last night at a very good BIN price. I know nothing about the maker, and have fingers crossed. Auction photos.

bavapu9a.jpg

e6ahujep.jpg

uqasavan.jpg

"Faint hat never won fair lady."

John Galt

Vendor
That's what I thought. I have only one other dark blue fedora - a Stetson Gold Medal from Lundstrom's of SF. This one was not well described, but looked in pretty decent shape. I'll have to research the maker, but it looks like a 1950's hat with that wide caramel colored sweat. The liner makes me think maybe earlier, but I'll just have to see when it arrives.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
So the other day, I opened my big fat mouth in the "Holy Grail" thread and proclaimed that I had basically acquired all the hats I really wanted. Of course what did I end up doing this week? Buying two more hats on eBay. So in addition to the blue Dobbs on the previous page, I'll be receiving this Borso:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Vin...cY09nk3KyJzz9RKIGFYAE%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc
$(KGrHqJHJCIFI-H+JTYPBSPiMnKlHg~~60_57.JPG

It has a small stain on the brim that I'm hopeful can be removed. It looks like it still has the basting stitches on there as well. This one is quite similar to the infamous Johnny Depp Borso, but with narrower binding:
johnny-depp-fashion.jpg

fashion frank

One Too Many
I have been watching this hat for the last four days and it was a sleeper untill yesterday.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-1940S-FELT-CHAMP-FEDORA-MENS-HAT-GREY-6-7-8-/310753941876

The second bidder only had 12 buys ( newbe ? ) and I was hoping that he had never been sniped before and that he would think that he was the only other bidder besides the very first original bidder.

I waited till the last 4 seconds and punched in $40.00 as I was hopeing that he would not set a high bid amount figuring that nobody else was interested in the hat but himself :cool:.

It worked because he only set his high bid limit to $32.50 and so I got it for $33.50 in the very last few seconds of the auction and he did not have enough time to manually type in a higher limit.

So $33.50 +$8.75 + 42.25 for a hat that looks like it was never worn and perhaps it is N.O.S..

The seller didnt list it ,but it also looks like he took the photos of the hat as it was sitting on top of what appears to be a hat box ,but he did not list the box in the auction listing so hopefully I will get that as well and from looking at the pictures of the hat near the crown it looks like a fine line from the indent of the round part of the hat box where the hat rests inside.

I will post some pictures of the hat after it arrives.

All the Best ,Fashion Frank

Good Day Gentleman ,so here we are one week later and here is the grey Homburg that I guttersniped last Sunday.

This hat was pristine right out of the box , I had to pinch myself to make sure I wasn't dreaming !

All the Best ,Fashion Frank

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
This one is quite similar to the infamous Johnny Depp Borso, but with narrower binding:

I'm not sure, the hat Depp is wearing in this picture is a Borsalino. I've read a lot of guessing on the web, but no "hard info". Aside from the ribbon and binding I see some similarities between the Borso on eBay and some of Depp's ripped up hat-corpses - but I don't think they look a lot alike. In my opinion you should be happy about that ;)

Congratulations! It's a great hat you've found at a good price - and I'm sure you'll wear it a lot better :)

The brim binding is not typical of Borsalino. I think there is a thread with a poor photo of the liner that might point to Borsalino. Side note: I prefer Jared's find (even if Depp's hat was in good condition).

Frank, Great Champ Homburg! Pristine!

fashion frank

One Too Many
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mens-Vintag...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Just got this one, a 6 7/8 blue Dobbs. My Dobbs Gay Prince is a 6 7/8 as well, and only required the gentlest of stretching to fit, so I'm hoping this one will as well. Looks like the vintage equivalent of my Optimo Dillinger (actually the block may even be the same, they're very, very, similar).
$(KGrHqFHJCEFIu9y!z9oBSOoulv0Tw~~60_57.JPG

Nice score !

I was watching that very same hat , I must assume that we both have the same head size which helps .

I did not pull the trigger on that one because I have two or three Dobbs and one very close in color to that one ,but it was for sure a good score nice going !

All the best ,Fashion Frank

Lotsahats

One Too Many
Picked up this Champ Featherweight tonight. I probably would have rolled on by it had it not been for the glowing remarks others have made in the Champ thread. I'm excited to get it, and I'll let you know just how bad the missing ribbon looks in person. ;)

A

John Galt

Vendor
Picked up this Champ Featherweight tonight. I probably would have rolled on by it had it not been for the glowing remarks others have made in the Champ thread. I'm excited to get it, and I'll let you know just how bad the missing ribbon looks in person. ;)

A

You will not be disappointed. They are great hats. I love lightweights and have several of these in my collection (brown, grey, green & light blue) and love them all. And they weigh only as much as two packs of cigarettes!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
farmerboy