Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

ManofKent

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Rick - nice find. Sadly there is very little information published on UK hat makers. Other than they were operating out of Bond Street from sometime prior to 1911 I don't know much more.

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Rick - nice find. Sadly there is very little information published on UK hat makers. Other than they were operating out of Bond Street from sometime prior to 1911 I don't know much more.

Thanks MoK. There is precious little info out there.

Rick, good job ferreting out that beauty from the rest of the "Mod, Hippie, Disco" hats in eBay's pile. I bet that one conforms to your noggin like it's been waiting decades for just that opportunity.

I DO hope so.
So everyone agrees that it is not a Derby, but an open crowned fedora? The lining has me a bit anxious.

The Fedorable

One of the Regulars
So my dad was watching this hat on eBay. It was a 50s Keen Fedora (or something like that) and he ended up winning the auction. That was at the beginning of the month and it was supposed to be for my birthday. However, the guy ended up not sending it for some reason. Not sure why, but we've been asking and asking about the hat and it was this past weekend where the guy said something came up. I don't know what it was, I think it was car problems, and ended up not being able to send it out. So he just refunded my dad and I we're both befuddled at this.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
So everyone agrees that it is not a Derby, but an open crowned fedora? The lining has me a bit anxious.

It's definitely a soft felt snap-brim hat. The last photo shows the brim down. In the U.S. pleated linings are rare in soft hats, but I don't know about the U.K. I have yet to see a Derby or Bowler with a two-inch ribbon.

Brad

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
So my dad was watching this hat on eBay. It was a 50s Keen Fedora (or something like that) and he ended up winning the auction. That was at the beginning of the month and it was supposed to be for my birthday. However, the guy ended up not sending it for some reason. Not sure why, but we've been asking and asking about the hat and it was this past weekend where the guy said something came up. I don't know what it was, I think it was car problems, and ended up not being able to send it out. So he just refunded my dad and I we're both befuddled at this.

It is I, who is that guy. My training schedule and some bad vehicle issues is keeping me from having any ability to send anything out at the moment. If things look for the better, I will message you. My apologies.

fedoracentric

Banned
My worst heartbreak on a hat that never came was a guy in New Jersey who sold me a really cool hat (an off brand, but it was very, very cool looking) two days before Hurricane Sandy hit and the very day Sandy hit he had used an online postage service and left the box on his door step for the Post Office to pick up. But Sandy hit and destroyed his house and swept the box sitting outside his door right along with it.

Talk about bad luck in every corner of that story!!

The Fedorable

One of the Regulars
It is I, who is that guy. My training schedule and some bad vehicle issues is keeping me from having any ability to send anything out at the moment. If things look for the better, I will message you. My apologies.

Don't fret too much about it. As soon as my dad mentioned you were military, we both understood. There's some in our family, as well as friends, who are in the service so it's nothing we're not already used to. Honestly, I find this funny because of this on the FL. It never crossed my mind that some of the eBay finds are posted up from members. Actually, that's really poor vision on my part if that's something I did not once see at all considering the website.

Stuff happens and neither of us are mad. I speak for my dad and I when I say we just hope you're okay and Godspeed. (I think that's spelled correctly)

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
My worst heartbreak on a hat that never came was a guy in New Jersey who sold me a really cool hat (an off brand, but it was very, very cool looking) two days before Hurricane Sandy hit and the very day Sandy hit he had used an online postage service and left the box on his door step for the Post Office to pick up. But Sandy hit and destroyed his house and swept the box sitting outside his door right along with it.

Talk about bad luck in every corner of that story!!
Now that's something.
My was TJ black Stagecoach. I think all of you know the story.

fedoracentric

Banned
Hey, looks like Penny's Marathon had its own version of the Dobbs Gay Prince.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111359938795?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

At $30 it didn't sell very well, but it was a smaller size, I guess. (not mine)

JCPenny_GayPrince_01.jpg
JCPenny_GayPrince_02.jpg

This is a 40s early 50s Marathon, too. One of the older maker imprints.

Lotsahats

One Too Many
I was watching that one, too. It was too stained and moth-bitten for me. I hope whoever gets it puts some TLC into it and returns it to glory!

A

fedoracentric

Banned
You know, it's ebay sellers like this that give all sellers a bad name. This guy has posted these same bunch of hats repeatedly for at least 2 years, now, and just about everything he says about these hats is untrue.

Further, I've seen other guys here talk of this seller, so I KNOW that he's been told by several of us that he doesn't have anything correct in his auctions.

Here is his marked: "Rare Vintage Tom Mix Style Cowboy Hat, Denver CO, Circa 1920 - Size 7 1/4"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Vintag...017?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item486754c501

Seems to me this hat was made no earlier than the 1960s.

Then there is: "Great Vintage 4X Boys Stetson, Laredo TX - Size 6 5/8 - Circa 1930s"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Great-Vinta...991?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item486754c4e7

Not likely the 1930s.

Next is: "A Nice Silver Belly Resistol 3X Beaver Cowboy Hat, Size 7 1/8, Circa 1950"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/A-Nice-Silv...970?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item486754c4d2

Don't think so.

But those are nothing compared to the next few...

This one is particularly egregious: "Rare Antique Riding or Fine Ranchman Hat, Masterbilt, Circa 1860s"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Antiqu...183?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item338f83ee37

Not even close. First of all its a woman's hat, not any "fine ranchman hat." And it is from the 1910s or 20s not the 1860s! And it sure as heck ain't worth no two thousand dollars.

Where does this guy get this stuff?

Then: "A Very Early Tom Mix Style Beaver Cowboy Hat Stetson? Circa 1920"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/A-Very-Earl...156?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item338f83ee1c

Doubtful

This next one is sort of close, though maybe a tad later than he claims: "Extra Ordinary Vintage Montana Peak Stetson Sold Silverwoods LA Hollywood 7 1/8"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Extra-Ordin...953?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item486754c4c1

It isn't a $350 hat, though, even if he was dead on with the description. These US campaign hats rarely go for more than $150.

Next, he says this is: "Very Early Antique Top Hat, Size 7 1/4 - Circa 1850s"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Very-Early-...103?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item338f83ede7

I can't say I'm that sure about this, but it doesn't strike me as being what he claims.

He claims this is a 40s hat: "Vintage Resistol Cowboy Hat, Sold at Hamley's of Pendleton OR - Size 7 1/4"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Res...084?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item338f83edd4

Looks more like 50s or 60s to me. (Looks like a replacement liner, too)

Anyway, this guy seems to be so way, way off on his claims about his hats that it is vexing for a collector to see. Its too bad this guy is so misleading.

I hope if I am wrong about any of these, someone sets me right.

(And, yes, I am violating my own rule about posting live auctions, but I don't think I am ruining anything for anyone here on this guy's auctions, for sure.)

DJH

I'll Lock Up
But don't we just love the other extreme of seller? The one that knows nothing about hats or eBay so puts together a listing for a gem of a hat with a poor title that will never show up in a search, crap photos so no-one can see how great the hat is, says it from the 60's but we know it's a 1920's hat in perfect condition, a low BIN price for a super hard to find hat? We can take advantage and nab a bargain!

For me, the diversity of eBay is one of the things that makes it interesting. Sure there are people selling average hats at way high prices - if they can get the $$, more power to them. To be honest, eBay sellers are pretty far down my list of things I should worry about.

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
But don't we just love the other extreme of seller? The one that knows nothing about hats or eBay so puts together a listing for a gem of a hat with a poor title that will never show up in a search, crap photos so no-one can see how great the hat is, says it from the 60's but we know it's a 1920's hat in perfect condition, a low BIN price for a super hard to find hat? We can take advantage and nab a bargain!
Like getting a hat for $30 when someone is selling the "same" for $200.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic