Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

John Galt

Vendor
Didn't you have another of these? Did it ever get finished?

Congratulations on your first vintage hat B1ggles. I believe it is more recent than 1950s but it looks very nice.

Alan, I do have another, and have blocked it. It came out well, but I still need to sew a sweatband in. These are truly incredible hat bodies, and I keep an eye out for them, especially now that I have some panama blocks. As you know, they are as light and tightly woven as the best Montecristis, but a little more forgiving as far as brittleness.

I also have a dark blue parabuntal body that I salvaged from a vintage ladies hat & was previously unable to finish, being without a proper block (plastic Halloween hat & expanding foam attempt having failed). Someday soon I'll give that a go.

fedoracentric

Banned
I know this is a live link, but I am 100% sure that NO ONE on this board will be mad that I am revealing this textbook example of how not to sell hats on ebay.

Here is the title of this stinker auction entry:

6 vintage cowboy hats Size 7 1/2

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-vintage-c...662?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20ec45fae6

This guy has six hats that don't look more than a few years old. Not a one looks "vintage" in any way. He has no photos of the interiors of the hats. Nor does he bother to indicate what hat company made any of the hats.

The only thing he did right is note what size these worthless hats are. At least he did that right as many others don't seem to realize hats even have sizes.

And what is his starting bid?

$550... WITH a reserve.

And what is his buy it now?

A laughable and absurd $1,200.

This is a perfect example of everything wrong with people who know nothing about ebay and nothing about hats.

This guy is both an uninformed seller and totally delusional if he thinks these dime a dozen hats would raise more than a few hundred bucks for all six and that is only if anyone knew what the interiors looked like.

Maybe there is a diamond in that six pack. But without tons of more info, no one will ever know.

People should use this as an example of the wrong way to sell hats on ebay.

My guess is his auction will go all seven days and never get a single bid. Nor will he deserve one.

ccorsair

One of the Regulars
Late 50s was my impression. Could even be early 60s. $66 seems a fair price to me, though.

I haven see the type up for some time I was shocked it when that high at the end..
And yes that listing is clear example of how not to sell hats. I can't see any paying that .. I know i seen ones like the last two in a shop here new and the were maybe $70 to $80 new but that were name bran hats.. this posting seem to have no names of maker as well .

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
yrumuzyd.jpg

yrypu8ut.jpg

yhabetu5.jpg

fedoracentric

Banned
It was me. Was hoping it would go about $50 cheaper. I think I'll still be happy

Well, let's put it this way... a new, custom made hat could top $600, so $300 for a fantastic vintage piece is a great price.

And a wide, 2-1/2 inch brim for a hat of that era is a prime piece of felt. More often the brims were closer to 2-3/8 in those days.

I have to say, I think that one would have gone for closer to $500 last year. If I were that size, I'd feel that price is worth it.

As besdor said, though, it is missing the liner.

Last edited:

tommyK

One Too Many
2 3/4 brim actually, according to a question to seller. Partly why I wanted it. I don't have a black fedora either, just a black homburg. Like the box a lot too. It'll get a little steam and clean and that's about it. If it doesn't seem delicate I think I'll wear it plenty.

fedoracentric

Banned
If it doesn't seem delicate I think I'll wear it plenty.

You can never tell with hats that old. They may look fantastic, but then easily pop stitches. Or the leather may be too delicate, dried, or precarious in some way. On the other hand, it may be hardy as a new hat, especially if it spent the last 80 some years in that box!

It seems to look solid enough.

Good luck. I hope ya got a good 'un.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn