Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Random Thought:

I notice that the sellers have moved on to the movie The Great Gatsby when describing hats. It used to be Boardwalk Empire but I guess Gatsby is more current so you'll see a listing that says something like "1920s flapper cloche, excellent condition! Gatsby" :D

You know it seems that some trendy names are always used on listings....you can hardly escape the use of "Mad Men" when peeking at either men's vintage shoes, or vintage hats, suits, you name it....and you are right...the Gatsby is being tossed around like an ol' Tomato! LOL

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Couple of killer hats, the felt as you know, some steam, sponge, hat brush, and bash....will look so nice...if it is a size 7 1/2, send it on over! LOL!

fedoracentric

Banned
It used to be "Godfather" and "Michael Jackson" used on every listing for a fedora. Then everything was a "Whippet" even if it wasn't even made by Stetson. Now everything is "Gatsby," or "Steampunk."

ccorsair

One of the Regulars
It used to be "Godfather" and "Michael Jackson" used on every listing for a fedora. Then everything was a "Whippet" even if it wasn't even made by Stetson. Now everything is "Gatsby," or "Steampunk."
the Steampunk will only apply to Top hats and Derby's but there is some that look for the wide brim Fedoras too. Music for Steampunk is mixed but 20's to 40's style mostly so you see Zoot suites types to jazz era.
I think there been big push in TV shows with 20's to 50's style of hats and suite.. Manhattan is great .. First eps is hat fest. For steampunk Penny Dreadful was great Vintage show of England in late 1800 to early 1900 as i saw few mixed up in some costumes. Haven't see Gatsby my self.

ccorsair

One of the Regulars
Made offers on 2 BIN hats from different sellers expecting counter offers. Got nervous when both were accepted without counter offers.
Both arrived safely and I'm satisfied they will both make nice hats with some TLC and a new pug for the Marathon straw. I had been looking for Nokabout for a while. Like the thin light weight felt.

Good Score on hats Mystic. you did very well indeed.

B1ggles

Familiar Face
I've just made my first foray into vintage hats on eBay, have just got this Borsalino homburg. Deadstock, allegedly from an order that was never picked up in the 50s, I am the first wearer. I know I paid too much, as the auction closed at 3:15am my time and I wasn't going to get up at that time of night to see if anyone else bid, but I'm not unhappy. All I have to do now is change my name so my initials are L G ;-)

John Galt

Vendor
The Borso looks good on you!

Here's my latest find, a 1945 parabuntal body for blocking, complete with bamboo tube. Very pleased.

be6aryja.jpg

7y8ybuha.jpg

Didn't you have another of these? Did it ever get finished?

Congratulations on your first vintage hat B1ggles. I believe it is more recent than 1950s but it looks very nice.

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
the Steampunk will only apply to Top hats and Derby's but there is some that look for the wide brim Fedoras too. Music for Steampunk is mixed but 20's to 40's style mostly so you see Zoot suites types to jazz era.
I think there been big push in TV shows with 20's to 50's style of hats and suite.. Manhattan is great .. First eps is hat fest. For steampunk Penny Dreadful was great Vintage show of England in late 1800 to early 1900 as i saw few mixed up in some costumes. Haven't see Gatsby my self.

One very positive side effect perhaps about the trendy names gathering some attention to Fedora hats (even the top hats/bowlers) is that if someone young buys and wears one, they just might get "hat fever" like everyone else and be a total convert!

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Pulled from the bay on a BIN this am

I am gun shy about vintage panamas, been too often burned. But this one LOOKS as it's not been worn. No size tag be she gave me measurements of 8.375" x 7" so...even with some room for error, I feel fairly confident on the fit. We'll see. [huh]
I really like how the pug's design echos the weave of the crown above. :thumb:

Last edited:
Thanks, Alan, I'm quietly pleased. I accept it could be later but, to be fair, the description was only 'circa 1950s'. Are there any clues to its actual date?

It's a German market Borsalino. If it was from the 1950s or earlier it would have the "Echter Borsalino" mark. Towards the end of the 1950s and into the early 1960s you see both "Echter Borsalino" and "Export Qualität". Latter only "Export Qualität". My guess would be mid to late 60s maybe 70s. You can see more German market Borsalinos at my website.

http://germanaustrianhats.invisionzone.com/index.php?/topic/50-borsalino-german-market/

Rogera

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I just got this what I believe to be mid to late fifties Open Road from the bay today. I'll post more pics in the Open Road thread tonight.

B1ggles

Familiar Face
It's a German market Borsalino. If it was from the 1950s or earlier it would have the "Echter Borsalino" mark. Towards the end of the 1950s and into the early 1960s you see both "Echter Borsalino" and "Export Qualität". Latter only "Export Qualität". My guess would be mid to late 60s maybe 70s. You can see more German market Borsalinos at my website.
Cheers for that, very useful.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn