Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

I have a minority view! If there are buyers out there willing to spend that kind of stupid money would it not to some extent drain some of that stupid money out of the market and thus leave more hats available at reasonable prices?
He must sell some hats some time and it is a legit marketing tool.....is it not called the "greater fool?"

Alan, are you saying it may not be 30's? I was going off the white sweat and the production tag with the sideways Borsalino name. Is it later?

It's a great hat. 1930s era Borsalinos from the U.S. are very rare. My .02 dates it c.1950. The sideways Borsalino name was used well into the 1950s. The brim width also suggests post war. Borsalinos are so difficult to decipher. I can't tell if the size is on the main tag. Is there a separate small size label to the right of the main tag? Is the sweatband wide? These would be elements that might suggest pre-war manufacture.

I'm editing this thought after going back to look at the label again... is there a size on the label? Could a separate size label be missing? The cut edge to the right makes me wonder if I spoke rashly and too soon.

Last edited:

Alexander Sommerset

One of the Regulars
"If there are buyers out there willing to spend that kind of stupid money would it not to some extent drain some of that stupid money out of the market and thus leave more hats available at reasonable prices?"

No, because he never, ever gets his full price and meanwhile he causes people who know nothing about hats to imagine that every piece of junk, beat up, hat full of holes they have is worth $500 or more. That seller is 100% a menace.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
"If there are buyers out there willing to spend that kind of stupid money would it not to some extent drain some of that stupid money out of the market and thus leave more hats available at reasonable prices?"

No, because he never, ever gets his full price and meanwhile he causes people who know nothing about hats to imagine that every piece of junk, beat up, hat full of holes they have is worth $500 or more. That seller is 100% a menace.
Stupid begets stupid.

Couldn't have said it better!

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
I knew it! Figured I started a bidding war. My size too.

Not only have we sold " cleaner/newer" shape Stratoliners here on the Classifieds, others have as well not only here but on eBay. The price for that Stratoliner is very much as other hats the seller has listed. You may have noted he will sell hats also fairly high prices that have had moths do a entire luncheon on the hat! It is confusing how many hats that seller has all the time, and yet remains to push that price tag way way up there!?!

We LOVE nice vintage hats, they are hard to beat most of the time. For $600.00 if it does not look like a museum piece, then it is a hard thing to understand anyone wanting to spend that much?!? Tonyb, Art Fawcett, Northwestern, Major Moore, Blacksheep, etc, can make a amazing hat for about half the price that you will fall in love with.

I discussed just one time with that seller, about making an offer on a nice Open Road he has a few years ago. He was asking way too much, and stated he would consider an offer of around $40.00 less. Four day later, I purchased a NOS Resistol that was perfect in the original box, a San Antonio for about $160.00 that was amazing compare to the Open Road. I think Daniel sold that hat to Landman? And for the same price it was purchase off eBay for.

My own take on that high price seller, insanity! Keep looking and you can find a deal. We have a few super nice Loungers that sell often, here and on eBay. When you buy from someone that is a Lounger, you at least know who you are dealing with and you will not be buying a hat that someone is selling that they took pictures of the "nice side" and left the vulture moth bites out of the picture.

65 Classic

Practically Family
Spotted this on ebay. The Dallas by Mallory/Stetson. Looked good on all photos and I just had to have it. Seller stated that it was a very clean hat, almost new in original box. Once I received it I found this...
20160324_above ribbon.jpg 20160324_back brim.jpg 20160324_left under brim.jpg 20160324_right side.jpg 20160324_top front crown.jpg The price was was decent but I didn't like the surprise. The hat still looks great and with a little sanding and brush grease, the sun will shine again.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
He's a hat peddler. Out to take as much $$ for a fake pedigreed hat.

he sells real deal hats ... sometimes even very nice ones ... his prices are just extremely out of whack and absolutely delusional

this is rampant in every vintage market ... people think "vintage" equals enormous value

I buy and sell vintage drums and I see it all the time ... some guy will have a 1970s Ludwig with extra holes drilled in for a right side rail consolette and they will have it priced for what a museum quality 1930s Slingerland Radio King wouldn't even sell for

bananas

Spotted this on ebay. The Dallas by Mallory/Stetson. Looked good on all photos and I just had to have it. Seller stated that it was a very clean hat, almost new in original box. Once I received it I found this...
The price was was decent but I didn't like the surprise. The hat still looks great and with a little sanding and brush grease, the sun will shine again.

Bummer, hopefully, those nibbles are shallow and you can pounce them out. And hopefully you'll look better in it than the eBay model did!

At least you got a cool box.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou