Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Will you be my sponsor? If I’m cruising eBay at 2:30 a.m. and get tempted can I give you a call?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You sure can. In all seriousness we/i make fun of it but i see lots of the same thought processes here with hats/jackets/etc as i did 14-15 yrs ago when i first visited those rooms. I HAD to stop buying hats for lots of reasons a couple months ago. I’ve been very good. Not perfect but good. As long as it doesn’t get in the way of life, it’s ok. It got in my way. I can make fun of it just like the last 14 yrs. No harm. I get much joy from hats and sharing that joy with you all and i thank you all for sharing yours. This is a funny place that i enjoy. I know you do too. Sorry for the serious rant. I get like that sometimes.
Be well. Bowen

You sure can. In all seriousness we/i make fun of it but i see lots of the same thought processes here with hats/jackets/etc as i did 14-15 yrs ago when i first visited those rooms. I HAD to stop buying hats for lots of reasons a couple months ago. I’ve been very good. Not perfect but good. As long as it doesn’t get in the way of life, it’s ok. It got in my way. I can make fun of it just like the last 14 yrs. No harm. I get much joy from hats and sharing that joy with you all and i thank you all for sharing yours. This is a funny place that i enjoy. I know you do too. Sorry for the serious rant. I get like that sometimes.
Be well. Bowen

Thanks Bowen. I think we all need to be serious from time to time. I’m also aware that I have the tendency to get obsessive with my hobbies.

I’ve never smoked and haven’t drank alcohol since a high school and I’ve never tried any sort of drug or gambled: I intuitively knew that I was not a person who could do those things in moderation. Complete avoidance has been a winning strategy for me. Still, I have my outlets. I indulge in collecting, but my wife keeps me from getting out of control. The phrase “better half” has never been more true.

I appreciate the genuine concern.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Bowen. I think we all need to be serious from time to time. I’m also aware that I have the tendency to get obsessive with my hobbies.

I’ve never smoked and haven’t drank alcohol since a high school and I’ve never tried any sort of drug or gambled: I intuitively knew that I was not a person who could do those things in moderation. Complete avoidance has been a winning strategy for me. Still, I have my outlets. I indulge in collecting, but my wife keeps me from getting out of control. The phrase “better half” has never been more true.

I appreciate the genuine concern.
Oh Brent, forgive me. I was not directing my rant at any judgment or assumption towards you. Only the humor aspect of our give and take joking about each other. After i posted the “Hello...welcome..keep coming back” post i felt guilty making fun of something i shouldn’t have. I should never have posted any of that “humor”. There’s nothing wrong with the humor or your passion for hats, i admire your contributions. My thoughts just got away from me and i should have deleted those posts but couldn’t.
I meant no personal opinion towards you or anyone, only myself. Hope you understand.
Be well. Bowen

Nah. This is the cheapest of my hobbies. My wife is also supportive of hats over a Harley. As far as midlife crisis acquisitions go hats are pretty benign. I just need to be more selective.
My wife thinks similarly...although she drew a definite line in our closet and demanded my hat boxes be moved to my side of the line.....I accused her of being overly territorial.....it did not help my case.

Oh Brent, forgive me. I was not directing my rant at any judgment or assumption towards you. Only the humor aspect of our give and take joking about each other. After i posted the “Hello...welcome..keep coming back” post i felt guilty making fun of something i shouldn’t have. I should never have posted any of that “humor”. There’s nothing wrong with the humor or your passion for hats, i admire your contributions. My thoughts just got away from me and i should have deleted those posts but couldn’t.
I meant no personal opinion towards you or anyone, only myself. Hope you understand.
Be well. Bowen

I didn’t take anything you wrote as a recrimination or judgement. I didn’t take any offense and I’ve been enjoying the give and take. I don’t do social media but I enjoy and value my interactions here on the Lounge. Maybe my reaction was because I’m aware of my personal weaknesses? No harm, I promise.

Now, there’s this 1950s Stetson 3X I found on Etsy....
:)

Your friend, Brent

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Will you be my sponsor? If I’m cruising eBay at 2:30 a.m. and get tempted can I give you a call?

I can see it is how it is...you have a larger hat size to find so you have to hunt maybe a bit more to find a good one at a reasonable price. It is hard to find even a 7 1/2 vintage that is a good deal, I can imagine trying to find 7 5/8 size deals....

Do you have the number for the other (not Garland) outlet?

I got ahold of the St. Joseph, Mo. Outlet. They only had one hat that I was interested in: a Stetson Excellent New York in Tobacco. I was hoping for an Excellent Stratoliner but for the price I’m not complaining. For the record, they were much more willing to be helpful than the Garland outlet has been when I’ve contacted them.

I’m hoping these are diamonds in the rough. I’ll clean them and reblock them before replacing the “ribbons” with something more conventional.

Hat #1

bcc435e044158c9641ccdb9d8c8922f5.jpg

de14726c6758d8003d16fad1d18ffb32.jpg

413582cd5cf531802337910daa463ec6.jpg

52f29b265fd890e0dcda641a4123b8e2.jpg

Hat #2

af0b3dfefdcbccfa9ad62ed7017e5d25.jpg

73b73d2645cef7653130d79a63198a75.jpg

I’m concerned as the seller doesn’t have any feedback yet. At least eBay offers a guarantee and cheap 7 5/8 Borsalinos don’t come around all that often.

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
I’m hoping these are diamonds in the rough. I’ll clean them and reblock them before replacing the “ribbons” with something more conventional.

Hat #1

bcc435e044158c9641ccdb9d8c8922f5.jpg

de14726c6758d8003d16fad1d18ffb32.jpg

413582cd5cf531802337910daa463ec6.jpg

52f29b265fd890e0dcda641a4123b8e2.jpg

Hat #2

af0b3dfefdcbccfa9ad62ed7017e5d25.jpg

73b73d2645cef7653130d79a63198a75.jpg

I’m concerned as the seller doesn’t have any feedback yet. At least eBay offers a guarantee and cheap 7 5/8 Borsalinos don’t come around all that often.

At most...a gas bath and maybe some ribbon work....but they look good to me!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner