Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
I’m hoping these are diamonds in the rough. I’ll clean them and reblock them before replacing the “ribbons” with something more conventional.

Hat #1

bcc435e044158c9641ccdb9d8c8922f5.jpg

de14726c6758d8003d16fad1d18ffb32.jpg

413582cd5cf531802337910daa463ec6.jpg

52f29b265fd890e0dcda641a4123b8e2.jpg

Hat #2

af0b3dfefdcbccfa9ad62ed7017e5d25.jpg

73b73d2645cef7653130d79a63198a75.jpg

I’m concerned as the seller doesn’t have any feedback yet. At least eBay offers a guarantee and cheap 7 5/8 Borsalinos don’t come around all that often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hey Brent:
Ditto what LuvMyMan said. Those are def diamonds in the rough!! Not often do you see that triple V brim stitch and on twin Borsa velours!
GaGa!!
Good go! Look forward to seeing how it goes.
Be well. Bowen

Hey Brent:
Ditto what LuvMyMan said. Those are def diamonds in the rough!! Not often do you see that triple V brim stitch and on twin Borsa velours!
GaGa!!
Good go! Look forward to seeing how it goes.
Be well. Bowen

Thanks Bowen. As long as they are in the condition the seller stated “Very good condition, needs to be cleaned” I did alright...less than $20 each for 7 5/8 Borsalinos! Art at VS told me his refurbishment queue is only 30 days right now so if they don’t have any major flaws I’ll ship them right out. I don’t see them getting much (any) use until this Autumn. Now I have to decide on ribbons....
Brent

Brent:
Oh yeah, i forgot to ask what your limit was on those?? Ha. Couldn’t resist!
B

Low hanging fruit and easy targets. [emoji4]
Let’s put it this way, I deleted all the other hats I had in my watch list. I just counted how many hats I have in transit or customs on order and I decided to cool it for a while....but there are a couple on the Goodwill site that.... [emoji4]
Brent

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Low hanging fruit and easy targets. [emoji4]
Let’s put it this way, I deleted all the other hats I had in my watch list. I just counted how many hats I have in transit or customs on order and I decided to cool it for a while....but there are a couple on the Goodwill site that.... [emoji4]
Brent
Ha...i felt compelled to ask...being your sponsor and all.
Sounds like you got it under control.
Man’s gotta know his limits!! Or close??
B

Ha...i felt compelled to ask...being your sponsor and all.
Sounds like you got it under control.
Man’s gotta know his limits!! Or close??
B

Thanks brother.
How many does one guy really need? I’m not a serious collector, just a guy who enjoys hats. I recently went to put away some of my felt hats in anticipation of warm weather and found two hats in boxes that I forgot I had bought and that never made it out this year. I can’t keep track of what I have, or even what I have coming. I think I might even be ready to thin the herd a bit...is this the making amends step?

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Thanks brother.
How many does one guy really need? I’m not a serious collector, just a guy who enjoys hats. I recently went to put away some of my felt hats in anticipation of warm weather and found two hats in boxes that I forgot I had bought and that never made it out this year. I can’t keep track of what I have, or even what I have coming. I think I might even be ready to thin the herd a bit...is this the making amends step?
Actually it sounds like the conversations i have with that Abbadat guy constantly. Funny (embarassing) you mention finding hats, the Knox Twenty yesterday was a find. On several occassions i’ve found hats in boxes i was going to crush and throw away. One day i found 3-4 and was mad none of em were Borsa’s. I knew i was in trouble then. Best find...pristine 3x Last Drop. Duh
Maybe you should be my sponsor? Ha or accountability partners?
I think these topics would make for an interesting thread.
Later. Bowen
Ps: upon re-read...i hope this doesn’t sound pretentious. It’s not meant to be it’s just true so...duhh on me

Last edited:

andrew_AU

A-List Customer
Thanks brother.

I haven't yet forgotten that I own a particular hat. But I look forward to that day...

Last edited:
I’m hoping these are diamonds in the rough. I’ll clean them and reblock them before replacing the “ribbons” with something more conventional.

Hat #1

bcc435e044158c9641ccdb9d8c8922f5.jpg

de14726c6758d8003d16fad1d18ffb32.jpg

413582cd5cf531802337910daa463ec6.jpg

52f29b265fd890e0dcda641a4123b8e2.jpg

Hat #2

af0b3dfefdcbccfa9ad62ed7017e5d25.jpg

73b73d2645cef7653130d79a63198a75.jpg

I’m concerned as the seller doesn’t have any feedback yet. At least eBay offers a guarantee and cheap 7 5/8 Borsalinos don’t come around all that often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Very nice find, Brent. Special finishes are not something Borsalino is particularly known for or did very often, so these are quite special. Those felted ribbons are not all that common too. A seasoned seller probbaly would had them priced higher. They might need a little TLC, but should clean up nicely I think.

Actually it sounds like the conversations i have with that Abbadat guy constantly. Funny (embarassing) you mention finding hats, the Knox Twenty yesterday was a find. On several occassions i’ve found hats in boxes i was going to crush and throw away. One day i found 3-4 and was mad none of em were Borsa’s. I knew i was in trouble then. Best find...pristine 3x Last Drop. Duh
Maybe you should be my sponsor? Ha or accountability partners?
I think these topics would make for an interesting thread.
Later. Bowen
Ps: upon re-read...i hope this doesn’t sound pretentious. It’s not meant to be it’s just true so...duhh on me

I didn’t r
Very nice find, Brent. Special finishes are not something Borsalino is particularly known for or did very often, so these are quite special. Those felted ribbons are not all that common too. A seasoned seller probbaly would had them priced higher. They might need a little TLC, but should clean up nicely I think.

Thank you Stefan. My intention is to replace the felted “ribbon” with a grosgrain ribbon. Do you think would be a mistake? The current look is not one that I particularly care for.

Brent

I didn’t r

Thank you Stefan. My intention is to replace the felted “ribbon” with a grosgrain ribbon. Do you think would be a mistake? The current look is not one that I particularly care for.

Brent
This kind of felted ribbon is certainly not an everyday look and I can see the point in replacing it with a grosgrain one if that's what it takes for you to wear the hat(s). I would however give it a try first. Brush, steam and shape the hat and see how you like it. Or change one and keep the other one original. As your collection grows (and it's growing quite fast I believe) you may find the different looking ones get more attractive.

This kind of felted ribbon is certainly not an everyday look and I can see the point in replacing it with a grosgrain one if that's what it takes for you to wear the hat(s). I would however give it a try first. Brush, steam and shape the hat and see how you like it. Or change one and keep the other one original. As your collection grows (and it's growing quite fast I believe) you may find the different looking ones get more attractive.

Sounds like wise advice. Thank you.

Might just be me Brent, but those Borsalinos just scream "walk in the Italian countryside" to me and I really like them just as they are.

I’ll see what they whisper to me once they are in hand. They definitely need brushing and shaping. If I don’t have to send them out for work I’ll have more of my hat money for another custom...there’s this hatter I know who now offers pencil roll / kettle curl brims. :)

humanshoes

One Too Many
I’ll see what they whisper to me once they are in hand. They definitely need brushing and shaping. If I don’t have to send them out for work I’ll have more of my hat money for another custom...there’s this hatter I know who now offers pencil roll / kettle curl brims. :)
Hah! Those hats triggered a memory of a painting by Antonietta Varallo titled "The Stroll-Italy"
the-stroll-italy-antonietta-varallo.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner