Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
ScottF said:
Lefty, I hate to dis a seller, but I am not pleased with this guy. He sold me a hat advertised as 'never worn' that was moth-ridden and hat all sorts of hair oil stains on the liner. His email responses regarding various hats were ridiculously evasive. On the other hand, his hats are selling for peanuts, so it's hard to get burned to badly.

There's certainly nothing wrong with relating your experience and warning others of a possible bad outcome. :)

GallatinHatMan said:
This one I bought. I've always wanted a bowler and I am really becoming a Stetson fan. The combination was to me unbeatable. Besides, the price was certainly right.

Very nice. :eusa_clap

Mario

I'll Lock Up
I just bought this 7" French-made Chapeilerie Exclusive. High-crowned (5") and rather stingy (1 3/8" curled). $9.95 seems ok to me.

I'm afraid I won't get hold of the hat before September. I'll have it shipped to my people in Knoxville, and my dear mother will bring it along in September. That way I won't have to shell out another $35 for shipping to Germany. I'm counting the days... :(

c73f_1.JPG

GallatinHatMan

One of the Regulars
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=300314919549

This hat just arrived today and is really fabulous. My wife, from Austin, says she's always referred to these as lawmen's hats because that's what Rangers wear. She also said that her uncles and great uncles on both sides were partial to them. I've needed a good felt cowboy hat for some time and am very pleased with this one. I see comparable ones selling for far more than I paid.

Inusuit

A-List Customer
GallatinHatMan said:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=300314919549

This hat just arrived today and is really fabulous. My wife, from Austin, says she's always referred to these as lawmen's hats because that's what Rangers wear. She also said that her uncles and great uncles on both sides were partial to them. I've needed a good felt cowboy hat for some time and am very pleased with this one. I see comparable ones selling for far more than I paid.

Yes, you did well.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
7 1/2 is a tough size - it's mine as well. I can't help you date your hat, but I can tell you that the general description is wrong. It's listed as a Dobbs hat, but as you can see, it's a Beaver Brand hat. I have no experience with the brand, but others seem to like it. Second, I guess the Beaver Brand and the 100% Importer Fur confused the buyer into believing that the hat is 100% beaver. I think that the hat is probably rabbit or hare, and there's certainly nothing wrong with that.

Put it on. If you like it, it's a good hat.

JPMcAdara

Familiar Face
Lefty said:
7 1/2 is a tough size - it's mine as well. I can't help you date your hat, but I can tell you that the general description is wrong. It's listed as a Dobbs hat, but as you can see, it's a Beaver Brand hat. I have no experience with the brand, but others seem to like it. Second, I guess the Beaver Brand and the 100% Importer Fur confused the buyer into believing that the hat is 100% beaver. I think that the hat is probably rabbit or hare, and there's certainly nothing wrong with that.

Put it on. If you like it, it's a good hat.

Thanks, Lefty. This is why I really need to look closer. I did not even notice that it was a Beaver Brand hat. I will try it though and see if I like it. Thanks again and now I will have a better idea of what to look for next time around.

JP

Inusuit

A-List Customer
It will be interesting to see what you get...

JPMcAdara said:
Hey everyone,

I just won this hat;
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290319054325&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:US:1123

I am new to the vintage hat game and not sure if I got a good deal. I really was just more excited that I could find something in my size. Does anybody have any idea on what year this may be? Thank for your help.

JP

This is what drives me crazy about Ebay. In one place, the seller says the hat is a size 7 1/2, in another place it says 7 3/8. There is no picture of a size label or an inside measurement. I don't see anywhere in the hat itself that says it is 100% beaver, just 100% imported fur. Nor do I see where it says Dobbs on the hat. I suspect this may be a "Beaver Hats" brand hat in a Dobbs box. It says "never worn," but part of the printing on the sweatband is rubbed away.

I don't mean to rain on your parade. I learned some expensive lessons on Ebay. I hope this is a 100% Beaver Dobbs in your size. Looks like a decent hat for the money even if it isn't.

JPMcAdara

Familiar Face
Inusuit said:
This is what drives me crazy about Ebay. In one place, the seller says the hat is a size 7 1/2, in another place it says 7 3/8. There is no picture of a size label or an inside measurement. I don't see anywhere in the hat itself that says it is 100% beaver, just 100% imported fur. Nor do I see where it says Dobbs on the hat. I suspect this may be a "Beaver Hats" brand hat in a Dobbs box. It says "never worn," but part of the printing on the sweatband is rubbed away.

I don't mean to rain on your parade. I learned some expensive lessons on Ebay. I hope this is a 100% Beaver Dobbs in your size. Looks like a decent hat for the money even if it isn't.

You are definitely not raining on this parade. These are just the lessons I have to learn!!!! Thanks for the info, Inusuit.

JP

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Inusuit said:
This is what drives me crazy about Ebay. In one place, the seller says the hat is a size 7 1/2, in another place it says 7 3/8. There is no picture of a size label or an inside measurement.

I always ask sellers to measure the inside circumference at the crown opening, along the sweatband. Hats may have been strechtched or they may have shrunken (with wear and age), no matter what the tag says. I prefer to double check.

Michaelshane

One Too Many
Mario said:
I always ask sellers to measure the inside circumference at the crown opening, along the sweatband. Hats may have been strechtched or they may have shrunken (with wear and age), no matter what the tag says. I prefer to double check.
You really can't trust them to measure correctly either.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
BobC said:
Did anyone here snag this one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=180360317189

It looks like a nice Borso, and I asked he seller to post pictures of the liner and sweat, but he never did. I bid but not very aggressively on that account.

I decided to bid at the last moment, but lost by less than $5. I've bought from this seller previously and put him in the "good guy" category of sellers. I always check out his offerings. :eusa_clap

Cheers,
Tom

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Tango Yankee said:
I decided to bid at the last moment, but lost by less than $5. I've bought from this seller previously and put him in the "good guy" category of sellers. I always check out his offerings. :eusa_clap

Cheers,
Tom

I lost by a little more than $10. I would have set my snipe higher, but I wasn't sure of the hat's age. From what I could see it looked like a nice Alesandria, but I really wanted to see the sweat. I asked the seller to post more pictures, and she responded by asking me to send an e-mail address and she would have her husband take more pictures. I did send my e-mail address but never received more pics. Maybe there was some breakdown somewhere, but it caused me to hesitate in going whole hog.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred