Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Mario

I'll Lock Up
HarpPlayerGene said:
Mario, you really know how to pick 'em. That looks a lot like a Stetson Playboy - and that's a good thing. :eusa_clap

Thanks Gene. I was thinking exactly the same. Can't wait to touch it. :)

BTW, there is a label, and it says that the hat was made on May 18, 1961. I love it if they come with the exact date of production.

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
The guy who doesn't play by the rules!

Our feedback on an as-is auction: I hope you like the hat! A++++++++++++

His feedback on an as-is auction: Seller's 7 1/4 fit like a 7 1/2. Seller says hats sold "as is." All sales final.

Auction: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230350461808

Proof: http://panamas.biz/pgou.html

S7302291.JPG

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
You should be excited - that's a beautiful hat. Playboys are great hats and that color is really nice - Douglas has modeled his a few times and it is one of the nicest Playboys I've seen here. And that price was also really great.

djgo-cat-go said:
I'm so excited about this one! it'll cost me a fortune to get it over here but I suspect it'll be worth every penny!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190318145177

!BVUViZg!Wk~$(KGrHgoOKkIEjlLmVgL3BKR6-+PsW!~~_1.JPG
!BVUVLRwBmk~$(KGrHgoOKigEjlLmJg8nBKR6-JLDjQ~~_1.JPG

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Panamabob said:
The guy who doesn't play by the rules!

Our feedback on an as-is auction: I hope you like the hat! A++++++++++++

His feedback on an as-is auction: Seller's 7 1/4 fit like a 7 1/2. Seller says hats sold "as is." All sales final.

Ebay's feedback system is so flawed as to be useless.

Once ebay tied itself to Paypal, it's protection system became just as flawed and useless.

I personally would avoid ebay like the plague, but it's still the best place to sell used items, and overall, to purchase as well...imo

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here

Garrett

Garrett - I've been waiting to see that one. Would it be possible to see the sweatband detailing? Also is there a model name under the sweat?[/QUOTE]

IMG_2083.jpg

IMG_2085.jpg

IMG_2086.jpg

Going by the oil shield plastic that was removed, the style of the tags and the length of the sweatband I would say this hat was made in the 40's but with a 1930 style. Anyone concur?

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Mario said:
I just won this old (probably late 50s, early 60s) 7" Mayser for 13.10 € incl. shipping. I'll post my own pictures as soon as it has arrived.

!BVb-MV!!Wk~$(KGrHgoH-D!EjlLlz,uWBKSg-YWgew~~_1.JPG

Very nice hat.

Regarding that label, I have one that appears to be made of the same papery material, that has come off my hat. Anyone have recommendations for type of glue to use to re-affix it? I don't have a glue gun and don't really want to buy one.

billyspew

One Too Many
Garrett said:
Going by the oil shield plastic that was removed, the style of the tags and the length of the sweatband I would say this hat was made in the 40's but with a 1930 style. Anyone concur?

Thanks for that - hadn't seen that model before and wanted to see if it was an adaptation of another style.

Miller Bros purchased Adam hats in Feb 1955, so it has to be later than that, however of the later '50's ones I've seen they stopped putting the Miller Bros names one them at some point in the before the '60's. They also changed the liner logos sometime in the late '50's/early '60's to a more simplified version. I'm assuming that it's thus around 55-58.

Garrett

billyspew said:
Thanks for that - hadn't seen that model before and wanted to see if it was an adaptation of another style.

Miller Bros purchased Adam hats in Feb 1955, so it has to be later than that, however of the later '50's ones I've seen they stopped putting the Miller Bros names one them at some point in the before the '60's. They also changed the liner logos sometime in the late '50's/early '60's to a more simplified version. I'm assuming that it's thus around 55-58.

Thanks for the info, Billy. I wonder why they chose to make a 30ish styled hat so late? Similar to the revival of the bowler/derby revival of 59'

babs

A-List Customer
Chiliarches said:
Too many. I need a grey one particularly. But this was too good to pass up for $23 - here is the original eBay picture:

ebay01.jpg

I had a feeling it would turn out well, since its flaws in the photograph seemed to be the fault of the photographer. It's got hair and dust on it, but is otherwise very very nice. Here's a sunlight pic from when I got it today - it's a lovely deep brown.

100_1213.jpg

Now it looks like this -

100_1228.jpg

Here are some pictures of the lining and sweatband. I think it is fairly recent, maybe the 60's or 70's--does anyone know? I don't know how to tell - the picture is blurry, but the lining is marked "Qualita Superiore" and "Alessandria." It is a "Baskin" (and came in a Baskin box), which I have read somewhere on the lounge might be a department store. It also says "Torino" on the front of the sweatband.

100_1221.jpg

ebaysweat.jpg

The sad part is that it's a size too large for me...even though the listing said 7 1/8! It's clearly marked 7 1/4 in the sweatband and fits like it, even with some paper in the sweatband...this was the best headshot I got.

100_1230.jpg

EDIT: Added the original eBay picture at the top.

WOW! Being an absolute newb (to here and to hats), I'm amazed and impressed by this transformation.. Coincidence (I'm a 7 1/4 best I can tell.. 58cm ?).. If you were down here in Asheville, I'd hand you cash for that finished product right now. Nice work on that hat. :eusa_clap

Chiliarches

A-List Customer
babs said:
WOW! Being an absolute newb (to here and to hats), I'm amazed and impressed by this transformation.. Coincidence (I'm a 7 1/4 best I can tell.. 58cm ?).. If you were down here in Asheville, I'd hand you cash for that finished product right now. Nice work on that hat. :eusa_clap

I'm a newcomer as well. Welcome from one N00B to another!

I actually AM selling this hat in the classifieds, in case you really want it -

http://thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=42356

billyspew

One Too Many
Garrett said:
Thanks for the info, Billy. I wonder why they chose to make a 30ish styled hat so late? Similar to the revival of the bowler/derby revival of 59'

By about '54 they were in serious trouble, despite selling about $12million worth of hats in '53 they were over $750k in deficit. I think they sold their stores off in '54 but then sold the company in '55.

All this added up would indicate that they would be look at cutting costs, so I wouldn't be surprised if when stingy brims started getting fashionable in the mid-late 50's they might have just used older blocks and flanges.

I have seen Pacesetters (one of the more common models) from they early '50's with 2 5/8" brims and laters model ones with what appear to be 2" brims, but the same block used (they weren't open crom and it's easy to spot one if it's in good condition. It makes it seem like an older hat.

I am gradually piecing all this little bits of information together - so don't take it as a given (other than the facts and figures). Hope to at some point have a full history of the company and a good range of the hats to date from.

TTFN,

Bill

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
djgo-cat-go said:
I'm so excited about this one! it'll cost me a fortune to get it over here but I suspect it'll be worth every penny!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190318145177

!BVUViZg!Wk~$(KGrHgoOKkIEjlLmVgL3BKR6-+PsW!~~_1.JPG
!BVUVLRwBmk~$(KGrHgoOKigEjlLmJg8nBKR6-JLDjQ~~_1.JPG

I had to come back to this one since I missed it before.

CONGRATS, dj!! Even IF that hat had sold for twice the amount it would have put the figure in line with modern Stetson fur felt fedoras, which cannot compare in quality and style to the vintage Playboy. I think you are getting amazing value for your money. A few of those have surfaced lately, to the delight of some of our members (myself included) but generally speaking, they are rare. Great buy! :eusa_clap

djgo-cat-go

Practically Family
HarpPlayerGene said:
I had to come back to this one since I missed it before.

CONGRATS, dj!! Even IF that hat had sold for twice the amount it would have put the figure in line with modern Stetson fur felt fedoras, which cannot compare in quality and style to the vintage Playboy. I think you are getting amazing value for your money. A few of those have surfaced lately, to the delight of some of our members (myself included) but generally speaking, they are rare. Great buy! :eusa_clap

Thank you HPG! :) This problably is my best investment for some time to come! I was bidding on another a few weeks ago (the one that went to JTL remember?) which was actually one size too small, but I never could have hoped for winning one that is actually in my size! I'll post a picture when it's arrived!

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Hate to bump my own post, but I'd like to glue this label back down, and I'm sure someone out there has a glue suggestion that won't damage the felt. Thanks.

Mario said:
I just won this old (probably late 50s, early 60s) 7" Mayser for 13.10 € incl. shipping. I'll post my own pictures as soon as it has arrived.

!BVb-MV!!Wk~$(KGrHgoH-D!EjlLlz,uWBKSg-YWgew~~_1.JPG

Very nice hat.

Regarding that label, I have one that appears to be made of the same papery material, that has come off my hat. Anyone have recommendations for type of glue to use to re-affix it? I don't have a glue gun and don't really want to buy one.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
ScottF said:
I'm sure someone out there has a glue suggestion that won't damage the felt. Thanks.
I don't have a glue gun and don't really want to buy one.

"Glue gun" suggests hot glue. I wouldn't recommend you use a glue gun or hot glue even if you already owned one.

As far as not damaging the felt, I don't know. I would think most types of glue would leave evidence later that they had been there. This would only matter if you one day wanted to have an inside-out refurb.

As for a type of glue which I have used for this and which does not soak through (if used sparingly) there's SUPER 77 by 3M. It's in a spray can and available at most office supplies and hardware stores. I spray a light coat on the label back and while that's drying I make a mask for the hat so that only the area where the label goes is exposed. A light, very quick spray or two onto that area will do. When that's dry (in a minute or two) you have essentially contact cement on two parts that when touched together will bond very well.

Make sure your mask protects any area of the hat you don't want affected by overspray. This stuff is very tacky. Use it outside and test spray onto an old file folder to get a feel for how much of a blast can come out if you over do it.

DSC_0003.jpg

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
HarpPlayerGene said:
As for a type of glue which I have used for this and which does not soak through (if used sparingly) there's SUPER 77 by 3M. It's in a spray can and available at most office supplies and hardware stores. I spray a light coat on the label back and while that's drying I make a mask for the hat so that only the area where the label goes is exposed. A light, very quick spray or two onto that area will do. When that's dry (in a minute or two) you have essentially contact cement on two parts that when touched together will bond very well.

Make sure your mask protects any area of the hat you don't want affected by overspray. This stuff is very tacky. Use it outside and test spray onto an old file folder to get a feel for how much of a blast can come out if you over do it.

Ahhh - Multiuso Adhesivo! Thanks Gene!

Beater Open Road...

I was just trolling for 7 5/8 Open Road & found this Royal Deluxe model for a decent BIN price. I'm hoping it cleans up a little but if not, I still don't have much in it & a trip to Optimo would still give me a good lid at a decent price...
RDOR2.jpg

RDOR1.jpg

I may also try Rusty's naptha bath on it for a DIY restoration. [huh]
I'll post an update when it gets here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tuatara