Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Last edited:

Iyor

One of the Regulars
A fantastic hat, yes, but that's an absurd price. Unless of course it's exactly what the buyer wanted, then who's to say? I hope to hell a similarly fanatical buyer lays eyes upon my various offerings at some point.

WOW what a price! I wonder who the other bidder was, must have been real surprised although I'm sure the buyer was equally shocked. If the buyer wanted that exact hat I guess its a least as good as an optimo for about the same price and while I wouldn't, there are people who buy thier hats.

I hope this isn't an indication of where hat prices are going over the next few months.

Iyor

One of the Regulars
Great Conformateur Alan. I was thinking of bidding but when I saw the price climb I decided I have no real use for it. I was wondering whether one of the hatters on the lounge or elsewhere would go for it.

Marshall

One of the Regulars
Well, I pulled out the stops for this one (I previously haven't bid more than $100 for a hat).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MEN-VTG-RESISTOL-BEAVER-TWENTY-Kitten-Finish-FUR-FELT-FEDORA-HAT-7-3-8-1950s-VLV-/290633735746?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43ab1ede42

I honestly didn't expect to win at all (my max bid was $165), I figured it would go for well over $200. So I was very pleasantly surprised to find not only had I won, but that it was even comfortably under my maximum bid. I have to say that I can't wait to see the Kitten Finish and Cavanagh Edge (Resistol's version of it anyway).

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Sweet but tiny (6 3/4) light gray Royal Stetson with overwelt brim in what seems to be perfectly mint condition, probably early to mid-40, based on the liner. Went for a song.

$(KGrHqEOKoYE6e8E4GwIBOw54Yw)Ww~~60_12.JPG

$(KGrHqQOKjYE6kTvZe0-BOw54dINHw~~60_12.JPG

$(KGrHqIOKi4E6RlppZYTBOw54Vwyeg~~60_12.JPG

Last edited:

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Beautiful Royal Stetson... is that an O.P.S. tag?

Ah - you may right, which would of course place it between 1950-53. It's hard to make out in the photo but it doesn't look like any OPS tag I have seen in person.

Edit: I just went through the 'Special OPS' thread and it seems you're right. The size tag is part of the OPS tag that's surrounding it. Interestingly the crest on the liner still has the stars in the top left. It's not really possible to make out whether the crest on the sweat holds a leaf or stars. Those Stetson dating rules are sometimes not exactly reliable... ;)

Last edited:

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Well, I pulled out the stops for this one (I previously haven't bid more than $100 for a hat).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MEN-VTG-RESISTOL-BEAVER-TWENTY-Kitten-Finish-FUR-FELT-FEDORA-HAT-7-3-8-1950s-VLV-/290633735746?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43ab1ede42

I honestly didn't expect to win at all (my max bid was $165), I figured it would go for well over $200. So I was very pleasantly surprised to find not only had I won, but that it was even comfortably under my maximum bid. I have to say that I can't wait to see the Kitten Finish and Cavanagh Edge (Resistol's version of it anyway).
I'd have gone for that, had it been my size. If your KF is anything like the brown I picked up from that seller a while ago, you'll find it a delight to handle and wear.

Bob Beecher

One of the Regulars
........ I have to say that I can't wait to see the Kitten Finish and Cavanagh Edge (Resistol's version of it anyway).

I bought a Resistol Kitten Finish hat from one of our brethren and it's nice and soft and supple. The edge is very smoothly done, not just folded over as I've seen on some others. Then again, I'm still a bit new to this and have yet to gain experience.
6331728193_d06f4d4b07_b.jpg

Marshall

One of the Regulars
Thanks pjt113, gtdean48, and Benzadmiral, I'm really excited about the hat and quite happy with the price too.

That's a swell lid Bob, my experience with vintage lids and the different types of fur finishes and brim edges is still pretty limited, so I'm really looking forward to my recent acquisition's arrival.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart