Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
Wow, this 7 3/8 RDOR sold as I opened the auction. That's a great deal on a great, large-size hat.
The same thing happended to me. I had this sad feeling in my chest the rest of the evening.

Hi Lefty. I purchased that hat. Was that your auction? If so, I was just curious if you knew any of the history behind it? Like where it came from, etc.
Congrats! Let me know if it doesn't work out for you - I'd love to have it. Great snag!
Mike

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Hi Lefty. I purchased that hat. Was that your auction? If so, I was just curious if you knew any of the history behind it? Like where it came from, etc.

Sorry, I meant that the auction ended between the time I saw the listing on my results page and the time that particular auction page opened. I'm not the seller, but it looks like you scored quite the bargain.

Landman

One Too Many
Thanks guys. I had nothing to do last night and was looking around Ebay. I had lost out earlier in the evening on a couple of hats and was about to give up when I saw that hat. I think it was just listed when I saw it and I immediately purchased it. I'm glad now I didn't win some of the other auctions.

There was an auction for an older Open Road style hat that I lost on that I believe belonged to a famous rodeo cowboy. A cowboy named Guy Weadick was responsible for starting the Calgary Stampede. The hat below had that name in it and the store (Max J. Meyer & Company, Cheyenne) makes sense too. That is where most of those cowboys in the early 1900's bought their hats. I'm just speculating on this but it certainly looks possible. Did anybody here buy this hat?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/120855528468?ssPageName=STRK:MEDWX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1435.l2649

TipTop

Practically Family
WOW! Was $117 a Buy It Now price? If so, that is the steal of the night (if not week).

I found an alligator belt like that--just listed--and buried in the text was a line that I couldn't believe: "silver buckle and keeper with label on back "Clint Orms engravers" Bought it right then for $85. It cost about the same for Clint Orms to match and attach the tip to the belt, but it's "whole" now. That set alone is about $800, plus the belt.

Good things can happen to good (and fast) people. Congrats!

Landman

One Too Many
TipTop,

Yes, that was the "Buy It Now" price. I couldn't believe it either. The pictures weren't particularly great but if it is as described then it was a great buy.

That sounds like a beautiful buckle and belt. I would have thought it would cost more than $800.00. That's a great find.

Carouselvic,

If you bought that hat then congratulations. That is a cool hat with some great history to it. No telling what that could be worth to some rodeo memorabilia collector.

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Stetson Standard Quality Boater 1930s

3.5" crown x 2.5"-2 3/8"-2.5" brim, 20 L black frayed ribbon

More pics in the Boater Faction, post #580

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?26728-Boater-faction!&p=1403027&viewfull=1#post1403027

P1050345.jpg

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Lost on a nice Champ Featherweight today. Apparently I lost by thousandths of a second. The winning bid was the same as mine, and submitted at the same time to the hundreths of a second.

$(KGrHqR,!hwE8(wQPlTwBPLw5gvmu!~~60_3.JPG

I would have been able to save on shipping costs, too, as the seller location is the county seat where I live. I could have picked it up!

Just as well, I suppose... my wife would look askance at my buying a hat while she's unemployed.

Cheers,
Tom

Wow, would not have known you had your bidding on this one, as it is my Wife was the winner of the bidding on the hat, (she is mostly a "bidzilla" when getting anything on eBay for me). Actually, she was going to buy a hat that someone else won, forgot to get back on to win it, was that playboy cream colored hat. So she felt badly and knew I was wanting a lighter weight hat for the Spring, and wanted this one for me. I will post pictures of it when it comes home. Sorry her trigger finger got ya!

Landman

One Too Many
Welcome to the lounge and congratulations on your excellent ebay timing... great OR.

Thanks for the welcome. I've been collecting Open Road style hats for years but have only been a member here for a few months. I've mostly been just reading everything and haven't posted. Lot's of great info here.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for the welcome. I've been collecting Open Road style hats for years but have only been a member here for a few months. I've mostly been just reading everything and haven't posted. Lot's of great info here.

+1 more welcome, it's good to have you onboard ... :yo:

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Wow, would not have known you had your bidding on this one, as it is my Wife was the winner of the bidding on the hat, (she is mostly a "bidzilla" when getting anything on eBay for me). Actually, she was going to buy a hat that someone else won, forgot to get back on to win it, was that playboy cream colored hat. So she felt badly and knew I was wanting a lighter weight hat for the Spring, and wanted this one for me. I will post pictures of it when it comes home. Sorry her trigger finger got ya!

:D Congratulations to your wife for the win, and to you, you lucky devil! :eusa_clap It looks to be a nice one, and does have a Playboy look about it.

As I said, it's just as well I didn't win it. I need to rein in the spending a bit. It would have been cool to just drive into town and pick it up, though. I've checked into the various antique and thrift shops in Portsmouth and have never found anything decent hat-wise for me.

Cheers,
Tom

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff