Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
I agree with you, though, Baron. I buy what I like and I wear it. I am not buying because I think it is "worth something." Nor am I buying thinking I'll make tons of $$ on an item.

:arated:

While I do have a few hats that came to me in various ways (I wanted one hat in a group, I wanted the hat box but not the hat, etc) to sell I've never tried to convince myself that it'll be an "investment" or that I'll always be able to get my money back if I need to. The basic truth is that any item that gets sold on ebay is worth exactly what it sold for at the moment the auction went final. It doesn't matter if there's someone out there willing to pay double but just hadn't seen it, or if the price goes sky-high due to a bidding frenzy to a price that is clearly (to most of us, anyway) way beyond it's value. It's worth what it goes for at that moment, and as we've all learned, there's no accounting for what happens. It just does.

Me, I revel in the times I win something for significantly less than I was willing to bid, and don't concern myself if I win something at my absolute highest bid because that was what I was willing to spend. I have had only a couple of regrets in bidding, and those were because I hadn't bid high enough even though I would have willingly gone higher. A particular lavender fedora sold by Marc Chevalier comes to mind. :D That one taught me to bid big if I really wanted something!

Cheers,
Tom

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Some wise fella' here once likened our Vintage hats to real period mission furniture, he said- to paraphrase- that these are objects no longer being made, from materials no longer available (e.g.- mercury carroted felt) by processes no longer used (e.g.- Cav edge), in a quality no longer attainable (to the average -[e.g. - me-] schmuck- who ain't got three bills plus to lay down for a custom) from an era not ever to return. I liked the correlation, having NO idea if it might prove true. Doesn't matter, in truth, as I buy 'em to wear 'em!

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This is a classic case of a thinly capitalized market...in other words there aren't 5 million people waiting to purchase $300 Whippets or Dobbs 40s for that matter! Although folks follow the herd for a while, let's face facts here and admit that hats can be fad items and the fad can change quickly...the latest fashion lines out of New York, Paris or Milan could make fedoras red hot or not! I wouldn't cash out the 401k and put it all into Whippets just yet...on the other hand if I had 10 Whippets in my attic now would be a great time to list them on Ebay!!!!

That's true. But still, I think it's significant that supply and demand in 2010 coincide at a $300 plus price point for vintage hats. It oughtn't be an investment, but those prices definitely show interest out there.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Too many people don't take the time to find out what something has sold for recently.
Here's a case where a not so hot hat went for an insane price vs. the far better hat, in a size that usually draws far more cash, for a great deal.

Aside from the 2 Arts and 1 Optimo I've got, I won't buy a hat at a price that I don't think I can get back if I choose to sell it. The limited supply argument is nonsense as to the majority of commonly discussed hat models out there. Wait long enough, and you'll get your Whippet, CB, Strat, etc. at a reasonable price. Jump too soon, and you overpay by $100.

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
Too many people don't take the time to find out what something has sold for recently.
Here's a case where a not so hot hat went for an insane price vs. the far better hat, in a size that usually draws far more cash, for a great deal.

Aside from the 2 Arts and 1 Optimo I've got, I won't buy a hat at a price that I don't think I can get back if I choose to sell it. The limited supply argument is nonsense as to the majority of commonly discussed hat models out there. Wait long enough, and you'll get your Whippet, CB, Strat, etc. at a reasonable price. Jump too soon, and you overpay by $100.

I was the first bidder on that Caxton. I just couldn't go higher because I was afraid it would be too big for me. Cool hat for sure.

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
Wait long enough, and you'll get your Whippet, CB, Strat, etc. at a reasonable price. Jump too soon, and you overpay by $100.

I agree. Very good advice. I intend to keep waiting for that Whippet. No way am I going to pay over $200. I just don't think the Whippets can sustain that price level.

Gumbo Book

Familiar Face

The whole thing with ebay is that you are purchasing something that is not made anymore. ( by a good few decades ) I'm pretty sure that if Whippets & Open Roads, Adams - were still sold in Gentlemens stores we'd be there at the very least once a month.

But they don't.

I still get pretty good deals. ( someone will always make a spelling mistake in their listing "hint" ) And I agree that a few folks, especially those who do their research, see vintage fedoras' as a huge investment. You cannot replace something that is no longer made - plain and simple. I think this could be good though, it will motivate more people to be competative - more people interested in hats means more Lid fans getting into hatting itself. Already now there a few ( only a few ) hatmakers popping up all over the world ( advintage fedora for one in Germany ) And I hope this leads to a point where in about ten years we will no longer need ebay. As the industry may be revitalised by hat nerds making their own. And hat prices will be reasonable. ( but even my grandfather paid a huge amount for a good hat )

It's all for one very simple reason, a "hat" is a nice thing to have and to own.

There are millions of vintage hats, as millions in their time, have worn them.

Gumbo.

It's interesting what we are willing to pay for a name. I have several Johhnyphi hats that are dead ringers for Whippets or Strats, and in my opinion, just as nice. The prices were very reasonable for almost pristine vintage hats.

On the other hand, I have bought quite a few "name brands" for way less than $100, but that was before the huge popularity started. I agree with MV, I am reluctant to pay over $200 for a "name" only, however, if it is a very rare color or style, I might be willing to do so.

T Rick

Practically Family
Did anyone here snag this beauty last night? Seems to have been a bargain, due I'm guessing to the lack of a size tag and Seller's willingness to do a proper measurement.

I didn't bid (would have won probably, unless the top bidder's top bid was considerably higher) and I'm upset with myself now. But there'll be more, and there was no guaranty it would have fit (I think it may have, I'm guessing it was around a 7 1/4?). Anyway, someone got a gorgeous hat! (Sort of short brimmed Whippet-ish, yes?).

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
Did anyone here snag this beauty last night? Seems to have been a bargain, due I'm guessing to the lack of a size tag and Seller's willingness to do a proper measurement.

I didn't bid (would have won probably, unless the top bidder's top bid was considerably higher) and I'm upset with myself now. But there'll be more, and there was no guaranty it would have fit (I think it may have, I'm guessing it was around a 7 1/4?). Anyway, someone got a gorgeous hat! (Sort of short brimmed Whippet-ish, yes?).
I was the second place bidder on that one with my $114.14 bid :) I was thinking it would be a slightly tight 7 3/8.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Fantastic large G.B.Borsalino Fu Lazzaro Boccasile Poster

!C!RrOCgEGk~$(KGrHqQOKjoEzJ0WNzdKBNCS,sTErw~~_12.JPG

http://cgi.ebay.it/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemnext&item=270680904662.html#ht_500wt_1156
My bid was way too low.:(

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
I recently won this Stetson and it came in the mail last night. It's a Stetson Twenty with a mode edge. It fits perfectly and the felt is very nice. The sweat band is a bit cracked and the ribbon is pretty stained, but this one is a keeper. I may eventually have some work done to it but for now I'm going to do my best on it and wear it.

I'm putting more pics up in the New Hats thread.

ade5f0c7.jpg

T Rick

Practically Family
Well this was refreshing. A couple of days ago, I snagged a nice looking gray Open Road. This morning, I spot an email from last night from PayPal "your payment has been refunded" (uh-oh...). Opening it. I find the refund is for $3.26, with a note from the Seller "Shipping was less than anticipated. Happy Holidays". Very nice!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80