Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Okay, but do you offer the same bid price for every one?

No, it varies, but I will be honest Marc, that Playboy doesn't look like it has a two inch brim, it looks like it has a 2 1/4 inch brim. It looks to be the same as my early 30's Air-Light Playboy. I believe what kept the bidding down on this particular hat wasn't so much the brim size as the fact that aside from the few of us around here, who really like the tall crown, short brim combo's, most newer people on the lounge probably didn't really understand what a treasure of a hat this is. It seems just from my own experience, that 9 out 10 times, if I hat doesn't have at least a 2 1/2 inch brim, the bids usually stay low. There are exceptions, but that's usually the case. Many people around the lounge even consider 2 1/2 short. I do agree that brim size keeps prices down, but it should also depend on the hat. For example, I just recently sold a 1950's Dobbs 40 with incredible felt and the most comfortable and high quality sweatband I have ever seen. It only brought around $70, which trust me was a STEAL for anybody who got it, but it only has a 2 1/8 inch brim. Now, that same hat about a decade earlier would have had a 2 5/8 or 2 3/4 inch brim and would easily had sold for double. And trust me, the felt on my Dobbs 40 was better than anything Optimo or any other custom hatter could sell, but still only $70.

Last edited:

mattface

Practically Family
well to add fuel to the theory, I would have bid on that Playboy had the brim been wider. I really want a lightweight felt for summer, and I dug that one except for the brim width. 2" is the absolute minimum size that works for my face, and I really want >2 1/4".

I'm just one guy, but it only takes 2 guys bidding to drive the price up.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Don't get me wrong guys, I'm not arguing at all. Like I said, I do believe that brim size keeps prices down, but with THIS particular hat, I do believe it might have been a fluke. I have seen these early Air-Light Playboys go fairly high in most sizes despite the 2 1/4 inch brim. I'm sure anyone who has an early Air-Light will agree, these hats are really something special.

Last edited:

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
... that Playboy doesn't look like it has a two inch brim, it looks like it has a 2 1/4 inch brim.

Very good points, and you may be right about the brim size being larger ... but here's the thing: even though eBay sellers often get the sweatband circumference dimensions wrong, they very rarely mismeasure the brim's width. After all, it's a very easy thing to measure. When a seller says that a hat's brim is 2 inches, I believe it.

Judging the width by eyeballing the photos is tricky. For instance, I saw the same pictures that you did, but came up with a very different conclusion: I thought that the brim really did look 2 inches wide. Other potential bidders may have concluded the same.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Very good points, and you may be right about the brim size being larger ... but here's the thing: even though eBay sellers often get the sweatband circumference dimensions wrong, they very rarely mismeasure the brim's width. After all, it's a very easy thing to measure. When a seller says that a hat's brim is 2 inches, I believe it.

Judging the width by eyeballing the photos is tricky. For instance, I saw the same pictures that you did, but came up with a very different conclusion: I thought that the brim really did look 2 inches wide. Other potential bidders may have concluded the same.

Selective belief in measurements? Is that a flattened brim or across the curvature? Top or underside? Can they read a tape measure? I have received hats with any and all dimensions at wide variance from the descriptions. Angle and focal length of lenses can distort any sense of proportions too. I do however have a Dobbs Cross Country that is 6" x 2"(no trimming).

Last edited:

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
I have also asked sellers to measure brims for me and even though I was positive that the brims measured 2 1/4 or 2 3/8, I had them measure anyways. I have gotten back responses, "the brim measures 2 inches." I bought the hats anyways and as soon as I got my tape measure, they measured exactly 2 1/4. This has happened several times. To many (non hat wearing) people, a 1/4 inch margin of error isn't important, but if they knew about hats, they would understand that even 1/8 of an inch makes a huge difference in appearance.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
I have also asked sellers to measure brims for me and even though I was positive that the brims measured 2 1/4 or 2 3/8, I had them measure anyways. I have gotten back responses, "the brim measures 2 inches." I bought the hats anyways and as soon as I got my tape measure, they measured exactly 2 1/4.

Then I've been lucky (so far), and I'm happy for it. Frustrating to think that sellers with tape measures can't even get brim widths right. Thank you for the sobering eye-opener, Joshbru3 and rlk!

Last edited:

HatsEnough

Banned
I have also asked sellers to measure brims for me and even though I was positive that the brims measured 2 1/4 or 2 3/8, I had them measure anyways. I have gotten back responses, "the brim measures 2 inches." I bought the hats anyways and as soon as I got my tape measure, they measured exactly 2 1/4. This has happened several times. To many (non hat wearing) people, a 1/4 inch margin of error isn't important, but if they knew about hats, they would understand that even 1/8 of an inch makes a huge difference in appearance.

I have to agree with Josh on being skeptical about brim measurements. I find ebay sellers often wrong on brim measurements. Usually they are off by 1/8 of an inch but sometimes 1/4. They indiscriminately throw a ruler on the top of a brim and if it looks "close" to something they just decide thats what it is. I've had 2-3/8 brims called 2-1/4 by sellers, I've had 2-5/8 brims called 2-1/2 by sellers, and the like.

red71veloce

Familiar Face
Well, I'm going against the grain on my decision not to bid. Aside from telling my wife that I was pretty much done buying hats.....and then having to explain yet another "playboy" purchase.....I have two early-ish playboys that are "vita-felt"....both have thinning issues at the pinch. One of these is in rough shape...so understandable. The other however is in otherwise nice condition. Didn't want to risk another....but I hate letting a vented felt go...

T

HatsEnough

Banned
Case in point that brim size matters...

A beautiful 7X presentation Stetson in size 7-1/4 from the late 50s or early 60s only went for $122.50. Why? Because it has only a 2 inch brim or less (seller says 1-3/4). And I'd bet it is a 2 inch brim not a 1-3/4 brim, too.

If that brim was 2-1/2 or more I will guarantee it would have topped $200 with ease.

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
I hung in there for this Stetson stingy 7XCB - but dropped out when the dollars went past my curiousity. It's an interesting Stetson retirement gift that used a mode edge sweat on a hat with an edge binding. Could have been done later (very short brim) or since it was an employee hat maybe he requested it.
Neat one either way IMO.

Then I've been lucky (so far), and I'm happy for it. Frustrating to think that sellers with tape measures can't even get brim widths right. Thank you for the sobering eye-opener, Joshbru3 and rlk!

Many short rules begin the markings 1/8 - 1/4" in. The one we have in the kitchen is ruled that way. When I use it to measure a brim I sometimes have to think twice whether to add the 1/8" or subtract it. True confession! 8^o

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
I find ebay sellers often wrong on brim measurements.

You could have just left it as "I find ebay sellers often wrong." :rofl:

I just sent another seller a note that the hat he has listed a a 7 1/4 (in several places in his auction) has a photograph of a size tag that says it's a 7 1/8. :frusty:

Cheers,
Tom

I hung in there for this Stetson stingy 7XCB - but dropped out when the dollars went past my curiousity. It's an interesting Stetson retirement gift that used a mode edge sweat on a hat with an edge binding. Could have been done later (very short brim) or since it was an employee hat maybe he requested it.
Neat one either way IMO.

I hope that turns out nice, Mike. I believe there is a post somewhere showing construction of a bound brim over a mode edge. Was it Buler?

rlk

I'll Lock Up
I'll be discovering that brim width. Size label and leaf in logos makes it mid to later 50's. Liner matches sweat and I would be amazed if it is under 2". There are 1-3/4-2" mode edge Stetsons quite common but all appear a bit smaller than this one. Could be trimmed or covered, but certainly seems well executed.

Last edited:

mattface

Practically Family
You could have just left it as "I find ebay sellers often wrong." :rofl:

I just sent another seller a note that the hat he has listed a a 7 1/4 (in several places in his auction) has a photograph of a size tag that says it's a 7 1/8. :frusty:

Cheers,
Tom

Wasn't that the same playboy everyone is talking about? Clearly this person is ruler challenged, but still I thought that brim looked to eb closer to 2" than 2 1/4, not trusting their abilities to use a ruler I had to trust my perception of the pictures.

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
I'll be discovering that brim width. Size label and leaf in logos makes it mid to later 50's. Liner matches sweat and I would be amazed if it is under 2". There are 1-3/4-2" mode edge Stetsons quite common but all appear a bit smaller than this one. Could be trimmed or covered, but certainly seems well executed.
Congrats and I agree on all counts :eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy