Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

BR Gordon

One Too Many
The "joys" of selling on ebay, obviously works in both directions. We've been aware of the problems of purchasing from some sellers, but selling to some buyers can be just as troublesome.

Grizzly Adams

A-List Customer
I'm furious. Absoltely see-red shaking furious.

I sold this hat about a week ago. It was one from my collection that I couldn't bring myself to wear- it was too nice. I wore it a couple times, but couldn't bring myself to put it in the rotation for fear of it getting somehow messed up. It was that nice.

And the jerk leaves me negative, saying the liner tip was unglued, that there were bad repairs and that it was faded. One of the nicest straw hats I've had in and I get left negative on it? Just unbelievable. All I am with ebay sales is my reputation. That's why I take good pictures. That's why I take measurements and have good descriptions. A buyer trusting me and knowing what they're getting is all that separates my sales from the people who photograph their "Gangsta Stenson fidora" on the washing machine at night.

And since my selling (to me) is so much about my reputation, I take something like this, something so baseless, incredibly personally.

IMG_2991.jpg

The world is full of jerks. Bummer. Hope you can get it resolved for the better.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Not a thing I can do to undo/resolve the problem. I left bad comments with my (forced) positive feedback for him, left a response to his negative, and put him on a blocked bidder list. But none of that really solves the problem, just prevents a possible future one.

It looks like my 100% feedback is gone, and I'm stuck with the negative for a year, and I can only hope that it doesn't cut into things too much.

I shouldn't let these things get to me quite the way I do. Something like this is a case of wrong buyer- wrong time- nothing I could have done to know it was coming or change the outcome. But like I say- I take a lot of pride in what I do, in knowing what I have and presenting it accurately, so I take something like this as an attack on my integrity. Probably shouldn't, but still do.

Last edited:

fedoracentric

Banned
If it's any consolation, I doubt most bidders pay much attention to bad feedback until it gets below 90%. With only one bad feedback, I doubt it will scare off too many bidders. It wouldn't me, anyway.

randooch

I'll Lock Up
My condolences, Dinerman. What a rotten situation. :(

Negative feedback can be retracted for up to 30 days if there's some way to communicate with the troglodyte, but that's doubtful.

Grizzly Adams

A-List Customer
If it's any consolation, I doubt most bidders pay much attention to bad feedback until it gets below 90%. With only one bad feedback, I doubt it will scare off too many bidders. It wouldn't me, anyway.

This is true. When I find a seller with a lot of transactions, and a 98-99 feedback, I figure he's on the square. Anyone is bound to find a jerk sooner or later no matter how square you are in your dealings. There are folks who would complain if you hung them with a new rope!;)

scooter

Practically Family
I'm with Rusty, tell him to return it the hat, and you'll return his money. Tell him you'd prefer to sell it to someone more knowledgeable and appreciative.

Iyor

One of the Regulars
Its unfortunate that there is no beter way for ebay to level the buyers leverage. I believe the buyer usually regrets the price that he paid, and is just looking for a way to get some of it back, at least from my experience. Its very possible in the heat of the warehouse, or truck that the tip got loose, but nothing to get worked up about it can be glued back quite easily.

BR Gordon

One Too Many

That may be true, but when someone works so hard to do what is right, the negative feedback is frustrating. I also would take it personally.

KC Capellor

One of the Regulars
Dinerman, it's a shame to have some hothead jump you with kneejerk negative feedback instead of contacting you with any issues first. I too value my 100% positive feedback and would do most anything within reason to settle a dispute. Like randooch says, maybe the cretin would consider return and retract as redress. The integrity of your other 99% should be plenty good regardless. Best of luck!

This is true. When I find a seller with a lot of transactions, and a 98-99 feedback, I figure he's on the square. Anyone is bound to find a jerk sooner or later no matter how square you are in your dealings. There are folks who would complain if you hung them with a new rope!;)

Griz has a good point. I've learned that as careful and considerate as you try to be, you either can't please everyone, or there's someone with a bone to pick who's going to make a fuss.
Sorry to hear you got a stinker.

RichardH

One of the Regulars
I won this hat just recently ; http://www.ebay.com/itm/12095852428...NX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_916wt_1190 I have a big noggin (I usually wear a size 7 3/4 but sometimes I can wear a size 7 1/2 depending on the hat) so Whippets in this size are pretty rare. The Whippet style is my all time favorite design, so I'm pretty stoked, even though I won't be bying any more hats this year (the price) . This is also my first "large brimmed" hat (My two other fedoras have 1 3/4" & 1 7/8" brims respectively) , so I think this one is going to be a "template" for other hats I'm going to get in the future. (I specifically want Art to make me a Whippet clone, but that won't happen until next year I think.)

fedoracentric

Banned
Here is what I am thinking is a rare Stetson. It's a Stetson "Three Way."

But instead of the wide ribbon it has an Open Road-like 3/8 inch ribbon.

There is something else very rare about this hat. It has a sort of canvass sweatband.

Here are the photos from the auction.

threeway01.png

By fedoracentric01

threeway02.png

By fedoracentric01

threeway05.png

By fedoracentric01

threeway04.png

By fedoracentric01

The auction only lasted an hour as it went from a regular auction to a buy it now and then got snapped up.

I emailed the seller and he said it was a small hat (6-3/4) and was pretty well used but it was all original. I asked it it had any paper tags in it but he said he didn't see any.

Also, he said it didn't show in the photos but the brim binding is a full half inch on the underside but only about 1/8 is on top (hence the row of stitching on the upper as seen above).

Any clues to age and why the canvas sweat?

I know some of the "Three Way" ads posted here have a date of 1941.

Last edited:

DJH

I'll Lock Up
I won this hat just recently ; http://www.ebay.com/itm/12095852428...NX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_916wt_1190 I have a big noggin (I usually wear a size 7 3/4 but sometimes I can wear a size 7 1/2 depending on the hat) so Whippets in this size are pretty rare. The Whippet style is my all time favorite design, so I'm pretty stoked, even though I won't be bying any more hats this year (the price) . This is also my first "large brimmed" hat (My two other fedoras have 1 3/4" & 1 7/8" brims respectively) , so I think this one is going to be a "template" for other hats I'm going to get in the future. (I specifically want Art to make me a Whippet clone, but that won't happen until next year I think.)

Nice Richard - I hope it fits you OK.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24