Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Walt

One of the Regulars
For you guys that have sold stuff on ebay: is there an easy way for a seller to sell an item thru ebay that was listed for an auction and in which the auction closed with zero bids? That is if a buyer makes an offer to turn it into a BIN after it has closed with no bids can the seller just invoice the buyer thru ebay? I would think there is an easy way for them to do this but as I haven't sold anything thru there yet so I haven't seen the web interface screens for managing listings...

The reason I ask is I made an BIN offer on an item via ebay messaging and the seller accepted but tried to get me to pay directly via paypal which naturally sets my neck hair on edge since this could both result in being scammed and also as I understand the ebay rules is in total violation of their policies. For example, the ebay messaging system is full of warnings of making or accepting such outside of ebay transactions. I'm sure this is mostly because of ebay not wanting to lose their "cut."

Of course the seller may be just trying to save a few bucks on fees, but I sure as heck ain't going to risk being kicked off of ebay or being scammed. The seller has been active for 14 years with lots of seller transactions and only one negative so may be perfectly legitimate but seems too risky for me.

Surely ebay's system handles such post auction BIN transactions for listings that weren't done with a BIN option????

Of course if the seller was someone on here it would be easy to message outside of ebay and pay with no worries!

CaramelSmoothie

Practically Family
I had been watching this hat some time ago but when I was about to buy it the seller pulled it. It popped back up a few days ago so I jumped on it. I don't really like purple but I like the rhinestone on this cloche and since it's new old stock and the price was right I jumped on it

https://www.etsy.com/transaction/100803972

I won this one on Ebay a few days ago, can't wait til it arrives. I tried googling the store name "Maccaws" of Cleveland but nothing came up so I guess it may have been some long closed mom and pop store that originally sold this hat:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANTIQUE-VIN...T/K6GU7NsFbwhu3sKiTupv8=&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Old Buzzard

New in Town
For you guys that have sold stuff on ebay: is there an easy way for a seller to sell an item thru ebay that was listed for an auction and in which the auction closed with zero bids? That is if a buyer makes an offer to turn it into a BIN after it has closed with no bids can the seller just invoice the buyer thru ebay? I would think there is an easy way for them to do this but as I haven't sold anything thru there yet so I haven't seen the web interface screens for managing listings...

The reason I ask is I made an BIN offer on an item via ebay messaging and the seller accepted but tried to get me to pay directly via paypal which naturally sets my neck hair on edge since this could both result in being scammed and also as I understand the ebay rules is in total violation of their policies. For example, the ebay messaging system is full of warnings of making or accepting such outside of ebay transactions. I'm sure this is mostly because of ebay not wanting to lose their "cut."

Of course the seller may be just trying to save a few bucks on fees, but I sure as heck ain't going to risk being kicked off of ebay or being scammed. The seller has been active for 14 years with lots of seller transactions and only one negative so may be perfectly legitimate but seems too risky for me.

Surely ebay's system handles such post auction BIN transactions for listings that weren't done with a BIN option????

Of course if the seller was someone on here it would be easy to message outside of ebay and pay with no worries!

I have done this in the past,
Contact the seller and see if willing to list it again with Buy it Now, then be ready to pull the trigger as soon as it shows.

Walt

One of the Regulars
I have done this in the past,
Contact the seller and see if willing to list it again with Buy it Now, then be ready to pull the trigger as soon as it shows.

Good idea. I was thinking the same thing. Thanks for the suggestion.

Congratulations on your new wins... would love to see some of your hats in the WHAYWT thread.

I had been watching this hat some time ago but when I was about to buy it the seller pulled it. It popped back up a few days ago so I jumped on it. I don't really like purple but I like the rhinestone on this cloche and since it's new old stock and the price was right I jumped on it

https://www.etsy.com/transaction/100803972

I won this one on Ebay a few days ago, can't wait til it arrives. I tried googling the store name "Maccaws" of Cleveland but nothing came up so I guess it may have been some long closed mom and pop store that originally sold this hat:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANTIQUE-VIN...T/K6GU7NsFbwhu3sKiTupv8=&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Mystic

Practically Family
BUMMER !!

Just had to open another case on ebay for an item not received.

I think some sellers just get pissed because their item went too cheap (in their eyes) and blame the buyer that won the item.

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Temple with stetsonian liner

[bad] No, no, no!

temple-stetsonian.jpg

Landman

One Too Many
Dang, who got this beauty for a mere $150? What a great fedora in super condition . . .

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300805400233&ssPageName=ADME:B:ONA:US:3160

I ended up winning that one. Just for kicks I put a bid in not much more than the final price and won. I didn't think I had any chance at all of winning it. I thought it was going to go for much more. I guess because it wasn't creased it didn't get much attention. I can't wait to see it. I don't know whether it is the angle of the photographs are not but that is the widest sweatband I have ever seen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff