Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Walt

One of the Regulars
This is from a while ago, but I just saw it.
An interesting hat: Nutria quality Stetson similar to the one Eastwood wore in "Hang em High"
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Clint-Eastw...g%2BvvV26g3dIBvGBu7E8%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Sweatband needs replacing but nice grab.

Seller claimed the hat was a gift from Eastwood to the person he got it from and could be the actual movie hat. Of course he probably can provide no proof of provenance, but it it could be established that it was indeed the hat then it would easily be worth thousands of dollars if not tens of thousands or more!

Seller claimed the hat was a gift from Eastwood to the person he got it from and could be the actual movie hat. Of course he probably can provide no proof of provenance, but it it could be established that it was indeed the hat then it would easily be worth thousands of dollars if not tens of thousands or more!

Looks like an original 1 ply ribbon but hat on Clint's head is at least a 2 ply....

barrowjh

One Too Many
Caramelsmoothie, I have noticed a general increase in competition that began several years ago, not a recent change. I believe competition began increasing maybe 2006 - 2008 time frame, not sure whether or not the surge in interest is already past its peak or not. Sellers are certainly pricing hats much more aggressively now, many opting for high initial threshold rather than starting at 99 cents. So, I think the social media links are more an outgrowth of the general surge in interest rather than initiating the surge. A fine line between the two, as the increased links will also help increase interest, until interest is past its peak, it feeds on itself and grows, and the social media links are part of that positive feedback loop that will self-perpetuate for a while.

Walt

One of the Regulars
Looks like an original 1 ply ribbon but hat on Clint's head is at least a 2 ply....

Yeah, I doubt the seller's claim. Of course it's possible the ribbon could have been replaced--though we know not likely. Even if Eastwood gave someone that hat without it being a movie hat that would make it worth something to. I wish sellers would not make statements without having proof. shakeshead

Either way, wouldn't mind having the hat that was sold.

CaramelSmoothie

Practically Family
Caramelsmoothie, I have noticed a general increase in competition that began several years ago, not a recent change. I believe competition began increasing maybe 2006 - 2008 time frame, not sure whether or not the surge in interest is already past its peak or not. Sellers are certainly pricing hats much more aggressively now, many opting for high initial threshold rather than starting at 99 cents. So, I think the social media links are more an outgrowth of the general surge in interest rather than initiating the surge. A fine line between the two, as the increased links will also help increase interest, until interest is past its peak, it feeds on itself and grows, and the social media links are part of that positive feedback loop that will self-perpetuate for a while.

Thanks Barrow!

CaramelSmoothie

Practically Family
Hey guys, check this 30s Panama hat out. The label reads Rich's in Atlanta. I have been watching it for several days. It had a BIN price of 65 but the starting price about 50. I was going to take a chance and try to snipe it and save 15 bucks but then I remembered that a late bidder could come and place a bid and eliminate the BIN price and I may end up paying more than the BIN price just to beat the bidder

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Extremely-R...K6GU7NsFbwhu3sKiTupv8%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
Great patina on that Panama CS. When it comes down to it, if you want a something bad enough, $15 is nothing compared to the disappointment of getting sniped. Good decision.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I hope josh or rlk got this.
pin_zpsa0d502af.jpg

Miamibruno

One Too Many
Wise and veteran hat men of distinction, I pose a philosophical question. This may not be the place but I couldn't find a more suitable place.

If you buy an older hat - in my case a 1930s Adam - and some part, be it the headband, ribbon, or liner is not perfect, would you send it to Optimo or some other hatter of repute for a remake, or would you try to keep the vintage components?

I appreciate whatever wisdom the Lounge can impart on this philosophical question.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy