Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
His BIN prices are so out of whack, I've never even considered making an offer.

it makes people think he is either out of his tree or doesn't ever want to sell a hat

I've literally offered him $400 under his asking price and after a little haggling he took it ... but some things he won't budge on ... it's weird

he will have a hat covered in stains and moth holes for like $645 .. it's bizarre

Alexander Sommerset

One of the Regulars
I agree that his auctions are pernicious. Because others see his insane, uninformed prices and think their hats are worth that same level of insanity. However, I have read several here claiming that he settles for more reasonable offers. But, I agree with Bamaboots. Because of his completely absurd starting points I've never bothered offering him a thing.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
I agree that his auctions are pernicious. Because others see his insane, uninformed prices and think their hats are worth that same level of insanity. However, I have read several here claiming that he settles for more reasonable offers. But, I agree with Bamaboots. Because of his completely absurd starting points I've never bothered offering him a thing.

makes total sense and I do not blame you in the least

I've even tried to tell him that ... he believes these hats are worth his prices

JackieMatra

A-List Customer
makes total sense and I do not blame you in the least

I've even tried to tell him that ... he believes these hats are worth his prices

Ebay is also full of folks who offer merchandise, that is currently available from many retailers, for considerably higher prices than it can be purchased for from most anywhere else.
Here's one example from our friend:
Used hat on eBay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Plantation-...819787?hash=item3f5c05bdcb:g:iFoAAOSwPe1T2VQp
Same hat, currently brand new from the hatter
https://www.sunbody.com/index.cfm/product/444/4-brim-plantation-hat-wbow.cfm
Same hat, currently brand new from another hat shop
http://www.villagehatshop.com/produ...lantation-guatemalan-palm-leaf-straw-hat.html

Last edited:

Jayessgee

Familiar Face
STAR CAP brand "cabbie hat"
Snagged this off ebay for $14.54 total cost. It has several minor, mostly unnoticeable moth bites but, for what I use these for it is immaterial. I am quite bald and my wife likes the house cool so my head tends to get cold and consequently take the rest of me with it. A nice soft cap solves that problem nicely. Knit caps make my head itch. I have a couple of these that were new made. Comfortable enough but, lacking in character.
I have read that the STAR CAP was made in the 1920s-30s. Now, I don't know if this is truly vintage or a new, knock off. But, I like it and the price seems good for what it is. Oh. It has ear flaps too.

Attachments

• 0 Dad's caps & hats 004.jpg
    0 Dad's caps & hats 004.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 116
  • 0 Dad's caps & hats 005.JPG
    0 Dad's caps & hats 005.JPG
    172.6 KB · Views: 128
  • 0 Dad's caps & hats 006.JPG
    0 Dad's caps & hats 006.JPG
    169.8 KB · Views: 131
  • 0 Dad's caps & hats 007.JPG
    0 Dad's caps & hats 007.JPG