Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Lefty said:
There was also a Dobbs 40.
251117206_tp.jpg
251117003_tp.jpg

251117508_tp.jpg
251117569_tp.jpg
This beauty was on my watch list.....

Although a steal for that price, it was a little out of my budget at this time.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab

BobC

I fished this hat from the bay last week. A whippet has been on my wish list for quite a while. This one fits the bill.

IMG_1048.jpg

IMG_1049.jpg

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Bob Smalser said:
Dobbs 20. Probably excellent. $11.93

Probably is, Bob. I had first bid on it; didn't set my sniper and didn't get back to my computer to bid again but as I had no idea as to size I didn't worry about it too much. Glad a fellow lounger picked it up--I hope it fits you! :cheers1:

Regards,
Tom

DoctorJ

Familiar Face
Bob Smalser said:
And another seller playing a fine game of Let's Hide the Hat from Bidders.

Listed in category: Clothing, Shoes & Accessories > Men's Accessories > Hats > Top Hat

b233_1_sbl.JPG

Don't look a gift hat in the mouth! (I know, that was pretty bad) :)

BobC

ScottF said:
Yes, I won it. It's my first dark non-brown hat, so I'm looking forward to it.

Bob, I also think that short-brim hat looks great on you. I was already thinking of sending a couple of hats to Optimo, but now it's a certainty.

Congrats, Scott. I was a little concerned about the lining, but it sure looks like a nice, old Borso. I have yet to add a Borso to my hat clan, and I'm hesitant to buy a new one. Let us know what you think when you have it in hand.

I was hesitant to send the Stetson to Optimo because I knew they would have to replace the sweat, lining and ribbon which destroys then authenticity of the hat in my mind, but there really wasn't another option in this case. At least the felt is the same and still has a thick, soft vintage feel. I'm a bit annoyed that they didn't return the original parts along with the refurbed hat, but I didn't specifically ask them to. I also detected what I thought was a bit of snobbery when I spoke with them.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Thanks Bob, another lounger recommended including a note to Optimo to call first to discuss details of work, and also to save parts. I'm sending two to them 'soon' and have no doubt the results will be great. I appreciate all the information here about their work.

Regarding Borso's, I don't have many hats, but the old Borsalinos are my favorites because they are amazingly soft and just feel great and have fabulous lines. As floppy as they are, after steaming and creasing you would never know it. My understanding is that the ones made since the factory move (in the '70s or '80s?) are not as good, but a friend has one of their top of line new hats, and it sure is beautiful.

I also had questions about the interior of this one, but another lounger has a 'Mascotte' that has the exact same interior, including sweat and liner, right down to the taped sweatband and perforations, which makes me think those perforations were done at the factory, not at the hat shops. I think it is a circa 1950 hat, based on his comments.

BobC said:
Congrats, Scott. I was a little concerned about the lining, but it sure looks like a nice, old Borso. I have yet to add a Borso to my hat clan, and I'm hesitant to buy a new one. Let us know what you think when you have it in hand.

I was hesitant to send the Stetson to Optimo because I knew they would have to replace the sweat, lining and ribbon which destroys then authenticity of the hat in my mind, but there really wasn't another option in this case. At least the felt is the same and still has a thick, soft vintage feel. I'm a bit annoyed that they didn't return the original parts along with the refurbed hat, but I didn't specifically ask them to. I also detected what I thought was a bit of snobbery when I spoke with them.

BobC

ScottF said:
Thanks Bob, another lounger recommended including a note to Optimo to call first to discuss details of work, and also to save parts. I'm sending two to them 'soon' and have no doubt the results will be great. I appreciate all the information here about their work.

Regarding Borso's, I don't have many hats, but the old Borsalinos are my favorites because they are amazingly soft and just feel great and have fabulous lines. As floppy as they are, after steaming and creasing you would never know it. My understanding is that the ones made since the factory move (in the '70s or '80s?) are not as good, but a friend has one of their top of line new hats, and it sure is beautiful.

I also had questions about the interior of this one, but another lounger has a 'Mascotte' that has the exact same interior, including sweat and liner, right down to the taped sweatband and perforations, which makes me think those perforations were done at the factory, not at the hat shops. I think it is a circa 1950 hat, based on his comments.

Optimo will call you after they have received your hat and assessed it for their recommendatiions. I'm told they pretty much always recommend a complete refurb, hence making the most money. ;)

Regarding the Borso. I'm told that the fact that the sweat is not sewn at the back of the hat indicates that this is one of their better hats and that the bow tied ribbon can be pulled taught to adjust the fit of the hat.

Wear it in good health and enjoy.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
feltfan said:
I was watching that one. But when they say "Never Worn"
and you can see the sweatband is all but shot and there are
indentations in the crown... I run away. Probably a great hat,
but I am more risk averse these days.

This was exactly my reaction, as well.

Cheers,
JtL

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
jimmy the lid said:
This was exactly my reaction, as well.

Cheers,
JtL

Same thoughts here. I recently won this Wormser on ebay, arrived today. I popped the top up, brushed, and it still looks closer to 'never worn' than that Stetson. I'm not going to whine too much, because I love this hat, but while it definitely fits like a 7 1/4, it's got '7 1/8' on a tag under the sweatband. If he could find the original price tag under there, he could have found the size. In addition, it's got two small moth nibbles, neither having any effect when worn. Still, I'm very happy with this hat - it really does look close to never worn on the outside.

Wormser from Ebay

WormserBox.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael