Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

DoctorJ

Familiar Face
Adam Executive

Got this one the other day.

executive1.jpg
executive2.jpg

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
kiltie said:
Mr.P -

I like the one on the bottom :eusa_clap . It looks like a hat...you know what I mean? Just looks cool.

That is what attracted my attention to it as well. It has a nice crease and good lines with an adequate brim, I like black hats and that one looks to be in really nice shape, and since my mother's family history is Scottish, I though it would be fun to have a Royal Scot hat!

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Mr. Paladin said:
I have now spent my December hat allotment money...:(

...by December 2nd!!! lol

I like 'em both. I haven't bought a hat on Ebay in a while but I almost got in the fray on that black one. Glad you got it and that we didn't drive up the price on each other. Show it off here when it arrives, OK?

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Mr. Paladin said:

Mr. P -- that is quite the score! When you get it, be sure to post it in the Shady Oak thread with plenty of photos! :) The way that the sweat is attached seems to be consistent with an early/mid-40's approach. What's interesting is that, at the front of the sweat, "Shady Oak" appears, instead of "Open Road." If, in fact, the thin-ribbon version of the Open Road didn't really come on the scene until circa 1948 -- your Shady Oak may lend some credence to the notion that Amon Carter's work with Stetson and Tom Peters to design a new Shady Oak lid actually led to the birth of the OR as we know it today. Only a theory, and not substantiated, but fun to think about, anyway. ;)

One way or the other -- you've got yourself a nice piece of history there. Well done! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Cheers,
JtL

billysmom

One Too Many

Mr. Paladin

HarpPlayerGene said:
...by December 2nd!!! lol

I like 'em both. I haven't bought a hat on Ebay in a while but I almost got in the fray on that black one. Glad you got it and that we didn't drive up the price on each other. Show it off here when it arrives, OK?

Will do, Gene. Yes, I blew it all on these two :eek: but I've wanted one of the Amon Carter Shady Oaks for a while and that one looked really nice. It or another like it (very similar sounding write-ups; maybe it didn't sell the first time) was on e-Bay some time ago but I passed on bidding as I had other irons in the fire. I also really liked the Royal Scot. Its lines and dimensions just look prime. Good photographs by the seller. I didn't think it would go for quite that much but I was prepared to go higher on the Shady Oak so it was a wash in the end.

Mr. Paladin

jimmy the lid said:
Mr. P -- that is quite the score! When you get it, be sure to post it in the Shady Oak thread with plenty of photos! :) The way that the sweat is attached seems to be consistent with an early/mid-40's approach. What's interesting is that, at the front of the sweat, "Shady Oak" appears, instead of "Open Road." If, in fact, the thin-ribbon version of the Open Road didn't really come on the scene until circa 1948 -- your Shady Oak may lend some credence to the notion that Amon Carter's work with Stetson and Tom Peters to design a new Shady Oak lid actually led to the birth of the OR as we know it today. Only a theory, and not substantiated, but fun to think about, anyway. ;)

One way or the other -- you've got yourself a nice piece of history there. Well done! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Cheers,
JtL

Thanks Jimmy! I am beaming a bit over that one. I will definitely get lots of photos in the Shady Oak thread. Amon Carter (and his hat) is still an icon around these parts and I really wanted to snag one of them when I had the chance. Thank you for the bit of history on it as well. I'll try to make sure to get good close-ups of everything.

Mario

I'll Lock Up

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
farmerboy