Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
jimmy the lid said:
Thanks, Tom. It will be interesting to see what color your turns out to be, since the Seller describes it as dark gray! :eek: [huh] ;)

Cheers,
JtL

Ah, but the photos that show the underside of the brim are dark brown, and those tend to be the more accurate photos color-wise. I wonder why that is? [huh]

There was another hat that I watched, a Dobbs 7 1/2 that was listed as Beige but the photos are all gray, even the ones on the underside. [huh]

As we all know, we have to take most descriptions of hats in the 'bay with a grain of salt and apply a practiced eye to sift through the inconsistencies. Yesterday I sent a message to one seller observing that his listing gave a size of 7 1/4 but the size tag in one photo was 7 1/8 and the sweatband measurement he gave in response to a question was in line with that. He replied that he'd used a previous auction as a template and had forgotten to change it and thanked me for pointing it out.

Cheers,
Tom

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Lefty said:
I was really considering going for this C&K derby, 7 1/2, but passed.
I'm in mourning right now.

I was desperate to get that one, and calculated as much as I can spare from my upcoming paycheck, but alas, it wasn't enough. I hope it went to a good home.

Brad

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Tango Yankee said:
Ah, but the photos that show the underside of the brim are dark brown...

So, is the hat brown or gray? What say we head on over to COW to try to get this sorted out...:eek: :eek: :eek: :D :D :D

Cheers,
JtL

rlk

I'll Lock Up
[/IMG]
jimmy the lid said:
Thanks, Tom. It will be interesting to see what color your turns out to be, since the Seller describes it as dark gray! :eek: [huh] ;)

Cheers,
JtL
It looks like actually a very dark gray on the two liner pictures. Seller probably has camera set for flash/daylight in indoor tungsten room light on other two shots--this results in warm orangey cast given to a neutral tone(white/gray). This is the most common photo color error.
!BlU4CnQ!2k~$(KGrHqEH-D0EtrQGqcPOBLbN51Iyyw~~_12.JPG
!BlU2y1w!mk~$(KGrHqQH-DwEtsGKydGoBLbN0M1sY!~~_12.JPG

the foreground and liner are both probably white. _____________ As seen in the right hand photo

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
rlk said:
[/IMG]
It looks like actually a very dark gray on the two liner pictures. Seller probably has camera set for flash/daylight in indoor tungsten room light on other two shots--this results in warm orangey cast given to a neutral tone(white/gray). This is the most common photo color error.

the foreground and liner are both probably white. _____________ As seen in the right hand photo

You may be right... but as it happens I like grey hats, too! :p I guess we'll just have to wait and see when it shows up on my doorstep.

Cheers,
Tom

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Geez...

A real 7 1/4 dark brown Whippet in decent shape goes for $102. [huh] I didn't bother setting a snipe because I thought it would go for much more, as they have been. :eusa_doh:

011_058.JPG

There's really no predicting what's going to happen on ebay, no matter how long you're at it!

Cheers,
Tom

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Tango Yankee said:
Geez...

A real 7 1/4 dark brown Whippet in decent shape goes for $102. [huh] I didn't bother setting a snipe because I thought it would go for much more, as they have been. :eusa_doh:

7 1/4 long oval is too big for me...

That's my excuse for not driving up the bid anyway. :rolleyes:

Salty O'Rourke

Practically Family
Tango Yankee said:
Geez...

There's really no predicting what's going to happen on ebay, no matter how long you're at it!

Cheers,
Tom[/QUOTE]

That dark spot on the right behind the pinch scared me off - looks like a thin spot to me. If not for that I'd have made a try for it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran