Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

eBay prices

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hiya,
Has anybody noticed the prices for women's vintage clothing on e-bay going up?? Over the past few weeks, I have bid on quite a few articles of clothing and lost them because the price just sky rockets, or reserves have not been met. When I first started this I felt that the clothes were all quite resonable on e-bay, but now, wow! I recently bid what I thought was way too much for a 1930's floral ball gown. It was quite beautiful, but I was stressed out at putting in my maximum bid. It was one of those bids where I kept saying to myself "oh, just ten more dollars". But when the auction ended, I lost it becuase the reserve had not been met. I later found the dress re-listed with a buy it now price of $425.00! I couldn't believe my eyes. I have seen more and more of this happening, and it's getting frustrating. At one point I was buying 4 piece suits for $40.00, now they are hundreds. Hmmmm. frustrating. I hope this is just a fluke, and not a sign of things to come. Has anyone else noticed this or had the same thing happen to them??
Your sad friend without a pretty floral ball gown,
Daisy:cry:

Shorty

New in Town
You're not the only one who has noticed that prices are sky high!
There's so many lovely clothes I'd like to buy from Ebay but just can't afford it. And because I live in Finland the shipping costs are not reasonable :rage:
I just bought a pair of wall plaques from the 50's and the seller told me the postage was 31$ and when I got the package yesterday shipping costs in the package were only for 24$.

For example, I've been looking for some nice hawaiian dress but I can't pay something like 250-350$ for a dress. So I bought a hawaiian dress pattern and hope my friend will make me a dress if I find the fabric.

Trickeration

Practically Family
I've noticed that sometimes the awards shows effect prices. Such as when a star is seen in a vintage or vintage style dress or suit, or when the fashion commentators discuss the celebrities wearing those styles. Maybe someone wore something at one of the recent events that started a buzz.

Right now, though, I think a bigger factor may be that Viva Las Vegas is coming up (Easter weekend). It may be a rockabilly festival, but you'll see clothing from both the 40's and 50's, and sometimes even earlier. And the car show there isn't just about looking at cars. That's when a lot of the girls pull out their finest vintage sundresses, playwear, and shoes. For the girls at VLV, it's all about the clothes. I'm sure many sellers know it, too. Hopefully prices will come down after Easter.

I actually got a couple of good deals on ebay during VLV. All the competition was still in Vegas ;) . However, listings are a bit thin for a week or so afterward, too.

And the Hawaiian dress, I've been looking for one for years! But they're a sort of a "trophy piece" in a vintage wardrobe, so even if they start out low, they usually hit the $200's . I've pretty much given up looking for one :cry: .

Well, let's hope prices don't get to high, or we'll all have to learn to sew. Take care. Trix

Naama

Practically Family
From what I heard (but I'm not sure about it) for this year the 40's will have a big influence on fashion...... Well, I'm glad that I'm more into 20's/early 30's clothing ;) but then again, there will be a lot of retro stuff out there.

Naama

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Vintage is big in the fashion scene now. I've been looking for new jobs, and in the description I'm finding a trend in the job description "Vintage Knowledge". Good for me :)

But really, I agree. Fashion this last year has been from the 50's to the 30's, and this coming year I fortell the 20's and the 40's being HUGE, especially in office year (40's) and evening wear (20's). We'll see. I think thos bohemian blouses from the early 30's are going to make a comeback, as well as the gauzy late teens/early 20's stuff. But what do I know?

So what I have learned in the past year or two about Ebay? A great place to sell, but a hard place to buy. You really have to be on the lookout for things listed inccorectly to get a good deal, and to do that, you have to fine tune your vintage knowledge. So many sellers have no clue what era their clothing is fun, which is either good or bad. I've seen 30's stuff listed as Victorian with outrageous starting bids, and I've seen 80's stuff listed as 40's and go for nothing at all. Gone are the days when you can get 20's stuff for $5 :(

The best thing I think is to now frequent your favorite vintage stores. Sure you may be paying $20 more, but at least you get to try it on... unless you find a gem that's been mislisted or the thing on Ebay is so gorgeous that you're willing to take the chance and fork over the dough :)

And don't forget to look at the ones with lousy pics or not with Gallery. You can get deals on those, too. Just be willing to put it back up if it's not exactly what you thought it was going to be.

My example of a misplaced, mislabeled and lousy picture was the 1890's beaded dress crammed in a box with an 80's purse, a pair of shoes from the teens, and a pair of shoes from the 1830's. Got the whole lot for $35. Sure, they're not in that great of condition, but it's a treasure trove for a song. So deals are still out there to be had. Just brush up on your knowledge and put in the time!

Daisy Buchanan

You are all so right

I think you are all so correct in saying that the fashion trend this season has been vintage. Especially at the award shows. The only good thing we can look forward to is that something that is in style will go out of style soon, and then the prices will drop again, Maybe can we hope that they drop even lower than their old time lows. I did just win a dress on ebay for a small price, so you're right that there is still stuff out there. But my goodness, am I shocked at some of the prices!:cheers1:

maisie

Practically Family
I know what you mean! There has been about 3 nice day dresses on over the past week and half, and they have all gone for about $250-300!!! I mean they were nice but nothing you'de be expecting to pay more than about $70 at the most!!

maisie

Practically Family
And don't forget to look at the ones with lousy pics or not with Gallery. You can get deals on those, too. Just be willing to put it back up if it's not exactly what you thought it was going to be.

It just amazes me the difference in prices on ebay! The other day I won an abosolutly GORGEOUS mustard 2 piece suit for $30!!! Also a lovely 2 piece forest green velvet dress with matching velvet hat (that so reminded me of the curtain dress of Gone With The Wind!, all I need know is some curtain tassels!!:) ) I will see if i can get some pictures!

Daisy Buchanan

I'm glad to hear that it's not just me that's noticing this trend. It is funny though, last night I won a great swing dress for $36.00! I was so excited and had my hopes up, so bid on another satin floral dress. I put a max bid in that was higher than I wanted to pay, but just to be on the safe side just in case someone tryed to snipe it at the last minute, because I really wanted this dress. Anyway, my max price didn't meet the reserve. I promise you that this dress a few months ago would have gone for $50. I put in a max bid of $120, and still lost it. I wonder what she will re-list it as. I tried to contact the seller to see if I could by the dress for my max price, and she informed me that the reserve was double that!!!:rage: I really wanted to tell her she was crazy. It's not even a gown, its a satin floral day dress!!!!

Daisy Buchanan

I never buy Vogue, it's just not my cup of tea to look at way too skinny models posing in such crazy positions so you can't even see the way over priced contraption they might call an outfit. Anyway, while at the local pharmacy I noticed Drew Barrymore on the cover in a dress copied right from the late 30's. I bought the magazine to peruse the pages for more 30's and 40's replicas. They sure are everywhere. They also have a short piece on Lucien Lelong, because FIT in NYC is having an exhibit of his dresses from 1930 to 1948. I'm going to try to make arrangements to get down there to see it, because I love his designs, and he was an intrigueing individual. Hmmm, anyway, the market has been infiltrated, get your vintage while you still can.

maisie

Practically Family
So if its all in Voque this season, hopefully it is all just a phase, that by next year everyone will be over it!! As this is normally the case!:rolleyes:
Before Christmas shoes were going for ridiculous prices (probaly for christmas parties, ect) but now they have come down to more reasonable prices!
Hopefully it will be the same with the dresses!

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
The price we pay for fashion trends

Quick "Hello" from one Brit to another " Hi Maisie".

I totally agree with all of you. I am so down in spirits about all of the lovely 40's day dresses going for such ridiculous amounts of money. I mean even the non-designer ones.

I have also noticed a whole wave of new folk at the vintage fairs around London who are snapping up all of the 40's gear. I wouldn't mind this so much but the local gossip is that the latest trend for most of these young ladies is to wear day dresses ........OVER JEANS!!!! I mean call me a puritan but I am frankly appalled!

I have not been collecting vintage clothes for that long, so compared to you guys I am probably something of a novice, as I was a vintage jewellery collector first of all, but the last few months have been shocking.

Prices have got very silly. I bought a Charles Cooper two piece suit (silk lined, immaculate condition) spring last year on Ebay for $40.00 I have since seen a similar non designer piece go for DOUBLE that.

It's also such a shame that sniper bidding has spoiled the fun now too. I mean if you put your maximum bid in and it is a big amount you used to stand a fair chance of winning but now all that does is guarantee that you will be outbid and that the final selling price will be absurdly high.
I am worried that lots of these pieces are being bought by folk who have no real understanding of how to look after them and that a whole generation of dresses etc will be worn for this season and then..........thrown away! as the result of a fashion whim.

[huh]

maisie

Practically Family
I know what you mean!!:cry:

But it is only a few dresses going really, really high.
Last night I got a two piece green summer suit (by a company called paddle and saddle!!) it is SOOO CUTE!!!!!! And i got it for the price of £4.95 or $7.25!!!! I hope it fits as I'm hoping it will go with a pair of bobby-socks and saddle shoes!!

Another thing is i went up to a vintage show up at Earls Court last week, and well the prices are fanactical!![bad] :rage:
There was a musturd overcoat coat up there (I must admit it was nice) it had a price tag of around £250+ (about $450+)
I did buy a few things up there though, including a fab blue and white CC41 summer dress in excellent cond. a green summer dress (I think this is also CC41 as it has the remainsof a tag just like the CC41 tag) a 1930's brown crepe & velvet dress, and a 40's black evening dress, with an flower print skirt, oh and a pair of white 1930's glasses! So not mush then!!:rolleyes:

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
I was there too

There was some pretty expensive things I agree. I missed a lovely 40's day dress I was after by a hair's breadth but did manage to pick up a lovely chestnut needle-cord 50's shirtwaister for not much at all.

Thing that bothered me was how aggresive some of the other shoppers were though. I mean at one point I had something snatched out of my hand!
Sounds like you did really well. I'd love to see pics of what you bought!
:)

maisie

Practically Family
I got up there quite early and managed to get the green day dress off a friendly and helpful (also reasonable!) dealer! But by the time the doors had opened to the public she had sold most of her day dresses!

maisie

Practically Family
By the way I'll be doing a little stall up there next time, so when I find out the pitch number I will let you know as I will have lots of nice little 30's,40's and 50's goodies! Shoes are my particular fave so I'll have lots of different styles and sizes!

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
I totally know what you guys mean. When I was in Scotland and England this summer I tried to go vintage shopping and was just appauled at the prices! And even more so that these gems of past eras were hanging besides bits and pieces from the 60's and 70's. I think the "new generation" who is getting into vintage is doing it solely for "fashion" than the collecting, which is a shame. They can have absolutely no idea of how fragile and rare a piece is, because to them it's just another piece of clothing. To us who understand that it's not just clothing, but history and workmanship, and something to be treasured- well, we're getting priced right out of the running for giving these pieces a home where they will be cherished for more than a season. Not to say that these new "vintage" enthusiasts will stay that way. I really hope some of them come over to the "dark side" of where we all are! The longer the years go on the more fragile and rare these little gems from the 30's and 40's are getting. And the more wear they get, the less they'll be around for our kids and gradkids. But if you know how to care for them properly, they'll be around- and can still be worn about. Sorry for the tangent, but it's so nice to have fellow collectors who understand!

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
Lauren Henline said:
I totally know what you guys mean. When I was in Scotland and England this summer I tried to go vintage shopping and was just appauled at the prices! And even more so that these gems of past eras were hanging besides bits and pieces from the 60's and 70's. I think the "new generation" who is getting into vintage is doing it solely for "fashion" than the collecting, which is a shame. They can have absolutely no idea of how fragile and rare a piece is, because to them it's just another piece of clothing. To us who understand that it's not just clothing, but history and workmanship, and something to be treasured- well, we're getting priced right out of the running for giving these pieces a home where they will be cherished for more than a season. Not to say that these new "vintage" enthusiasts will stay that way. I really hope some of them come over to the "dark side" of where we all are! The longer the years go on the more fragile and rare these little gems from the 30's and 40's are getting. And the more wear they get, the less they'll be around for our kids and gradkids. But if you know how to care for them properly, they'll be around- and can still be worn about. Sorry for the tangent, but it's so nice to have fellow collectors who understand!

You are so right Lauren! One of my friends remarked at the fair that Maisie and I were talking about that she was stunned at the amount of (pardon my snobbery) "rubbish from the 70's" that was everywhere. I mean to be fair it wasn't a strictly pre 60's affair, but even so it really wears you out sifting through horrible Nylon and Poyester Kaftans by the hundred.
I have always wondered if these events wouldn't make better sales if the merchandise was arranged by era with each item bearing individual seller's tags?
It would save on time.

Trying not to veer too wildly from Daisy's original thread it isn't just the Ebay market that has created a somewhat ludicrous market value for vintage clothing it's also the store sellers. As a retailer myself I understand the overheads and business rates that need to be covered, but I am stunned at the outrageous prices that London dealers demand.

I am fortunate enough to know some very nice sellers who make regular trips to the U.S with my shopping list in their hand. You guys are SO LUCKY, I think you must have the greatest vintage clothing market over there.

Sorry, feel like I am stirring up a riot here;) ;)

As Maisie says lets hope that this current trend for "vintage" fades quickly away.........

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner