Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

eBay prices

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
You know what I think? I think that for a long time, the prices of vintage clothing items have been well below what they should be. The market is finally adjusting an imbalance that undervalued these items. So be happy that those vintage dresses are fetching what they deserve ;)

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Marc Chevalier said:
You know what I think? I think that for a long time, the prices of vintage clothing items have been well below what they should be. The market is finally adjusting an imbalance that undervalued these items. So be happy that those vintage dresses are fetching what they deserve ;)
You may be right, in regards to the items being undervalued. But in no way am I happy that the vintage clothes that I own are fetching higher prices. I might be happy if I was planning on selling my vintage items. But, I am trying to make my collection bigger, and am finding it harder to do that because of these high prices. I rely on ebay, because where I live there are only a few flea markets that sell vintage clothes, and they are only open for a few weekends during the summer, due to the cold winters here. The one store that I frequent has more than doubled there prices, ever since the new Vogue and Cosmo has told it's all to "posh" readers that it's cool to wear vintage. So, I'd be much happier having 20 under-valued dresses, then one dress that might fetch me a good amount if I decided to sell it. Hopefully this trend will go out of style as quickly as leg warmers and glittery off the shoulder ripped at the neckline sweatshirts! That way I can get back to buying beautiful outfits for between 20 and 40 dollars.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Daisy Buchanan said:
You may be right, in regards to the items being undervalued. But in no way am I happy that the vintage clothes that I own are fetching higher prices.

I know how you feel. Getting good vintage for a good price is definitely appealing. Truth is, it's never been very easy to do so, and it's getting harder. But I've had better luck finding moderately priced vintage via eBay than I ever did in thrift stores and vintage clothing shops. Maybe it's easier with men's vintage. There's less competition for it!

Kaz

New in Town
It is sad isn't it that those of us who have been loving, cherishing and wearing vintage for so many years are being priced out of the market by trendies with no real affection for the clothes and probably little idea of how to care for them.

There are still bargains to be had though if you're lucky. Last year I brought a killer green pair of shoes almost identical to the $400+ ones and paid just ?Ǭ£5which is about $7.50 in US funds. They are not leaving my collection though before anyone gets any ideas!

Kaz

maisie

Practically Family
Bargins still can be found though! I got a fab green suit for $50, which came today, so i think thats very reasonable. I just think it is mostly the vintage day dresses that are fetching the most money at the moment, which is a shame as they are the most delicate!!:cry: I mean $200-$300 for a dress!!!

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Kaz said:
It is sad isn't it that those of us who have been loving, cherishing and wearing vintage for so many years are being priced out of the market by trendies with no real affection for the clothes and probably little idea of how to care for them.

In the case of menswear, some of the highest bidders are from Japan. The few that I've met in person have shown themselves to be extremely respectful toward vintage clothing. They use and store their pieces very carefully: "fastidious" is the term that comes to mind.

Hope the same can be said for high bidding winners of women's vintage.

nightandthecity

Practically Family
Ebay prices are rising on lots of things, not just vintage clothing. Probably for the simple reason that more and more people are using it.

Vintage used to be cheaper because lots of dealers got straight on ebay in the early days and the balance was for a while in the buyers favour. That seems to be changing. That's the nature of markets.

As a buyer - boo hoo! As a seller - thank God, and about time!

Vanessa

One Too Many
Kaz said:

Exactly how I feel when I see some street punk wearing a rare WWII jacket or coat, covered in patches, writing, ripped & resewn. . .grr. I wish they'd spend their money on some badly made, overpriced repro and leave the good stuff to the people who will care for it, treasure it & preserve it the way it deserves.

Sinatra

Familiar Face
Lauren Henline said:
Who let the men in the Powder Room?

oooops, sorry, the lighting here in The Fedora Lounge is a bit dark and I didn't see the sign :) ... oh wow! ... real towels and hand soap! Don't go into the men's room, it is a disaster :p (Sinatra backs out quickly, returns to the bar and orders a double!)

fuzzylizzie

One of the Regulars
As a person who both buys and sells on eBay, I see this from both sides. It really does have to do with what is "in style" at the moment. When I first started buying on eBay in '98, you couldn't give a 50s prom dress away. Then Sarah Jessica Parker came along and they went out the roof. They've dropped a little now, but still are an easy sell.

I sold a 1950s circle skirt for $25 in 1999. It was really cute with fox hunters and dogs and a clever fox out-foxing them all. A friend of mine just sold the same skirt for $115. Right now, part of it is VLV, especially with the 50s things. I just sold a man's 50s Hawaiian shirt for $463! That is completely insane.

But, on the other hand, some things are cheaper today than when I first started. Sweaters are getting harder and harder to sell, especially if they are not decorated.

And the big problem I see with eBay is that there is just so much stuff, and much of it not in the correct category - 60s dresses listed as 20s, 80s dresses listed as 50s, and so on. It's so hard to actually find great things sometimes, and it is very time consuming.

I started selling vintage clothing years ago in order to support my own vintage clothing habit. I still spend most of my profits on my collection and on resources such as vintage fashion magazines. I still find bargains on eBay, but lots of times it's through buy-it-nows where the seller has no clue, or where the pictures are so bad you feel you are playing mystery blob bingo.

I enjoy hunting for goodies on eBay, but most of what I buy I get locally, or I buy from websites from sellers that I know and trust. In my area, the very best buys are in antiques malls, where many sellers do not specialize, and put fair prices on vintage clothing. And soon it will be flea market season!!! And I set up a system with my favorite vintage shop where I take her the cheap 70s things I find, and trade them for her 20s-40s things. I get some really fabulous things that way.

All this advice is coming from a lady who just blew $45 on eBay for a 1920s bathing cap!

Lizzie

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran