Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

eBay prices

inge77

New in Town
priced out of the running!!!

Thank you!!! Priced out of the running is the exact perfect phrase for what happens to me on eBay!!! For example, I was bidding on an early 1900's white Edwardian-style blouse, which started at about 25.00USD. It's now at about $80.00, and has more than 24 hours to go!!! I just gave up, I don't have that kind of dough. And I agree with what others are saying about choosing to get reproductions made instead. Definitely cheaper in most cases!!

NicknNora

A-List Customer
You Said It!

ebay is certainly expensive. What really bothers me on ebay is to see people bidding frantically against each other before the end of the auction. One bids and the other immediately outbids the other and they go back and forth until the item is beyond belief. If they were smart they would wait until the end and just bid the amount they would pay. They would get things a lot cheaper.

I keep hoping to see people selling reproductions of vintage designs (I see them every now and then). If someone was skilled at sewing they could make a fortune selling their creations because most of us who love vintage really can't afford to pay these ungodly amounts for originals and would gladly buy a quality reproduction.

Shirin

A-List Customer
NicknNora said:
ebay is certainly expensive. What really bothers me on ebay is to see people bidding frantically against each other before the end of the auction. One bids and the other immediately outbids the other and they go back and forth until the item is beyond belief. If they were smart they would wait until the end and just bid the amount they would pay. They would get things a lot cheaper.

Oh I certainly agree with you on that! You know eBay is really loving those final value fees though.:eek:

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
NicknNora said:
I keep hoping to see people selling reproductions of vintage designs (I see them every now and then). If someone was skilled at sewing they could make a fortune selling their creations because most of us who love vintage really can't afford to pay these ungodly amounts for originals and would gladly buy a quality reproduction.
Actually, this isn't true. I sew all my own dresses from vintage patterns and each dress typically costs me from $50-$75 in fabric and notions alone, without adding in my labor charge. If I were to charge the industry standard for a typical full-skirted 50's dress, it would cost around $200 and most people aren't willing to spend that much on a reproduction.

NicknNora

A-List Customer
Wow

kamikat said:
Actually, this isn't true. I sew all my own dresses from vintage patterns and each dress typically costs me from $50-$75 in fabric and notions alone, without adding in my labor charge. If I were to charge the industry standard for a typical full-skirted 50's dress, it would cost around $200 and most people aren't willing to spend that much on a reproduction.

Wow! I had no idea it cost so much to do a reproduction. Thanks for the info.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
kamikat said:
If I were to charge the industry standard for a typical full-skirted 50's dress, it would cost around $200 and most people aren't willing to spend that much on a reproduction.

And you are being very conservative with that price :)

LD

billysmom

One Too Many
Price for reproduction

I second the above! Good fabric and the notions to create a quality construction are very expensive - and often hard to find! Good tailoring requires painstaking hand work with lots of adjustment. I, for one, don't mind paying $$ for original vintage items of superior quality and condition.

Sue

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Lady Day said:
And you are being very conservative with that price :)

LD
You're right. If I were sewing for a client, I wouldn't be using time saving devices like serged seam finishes, iron-on interfacing or machine-sewn hems that I'm fine with on my own garments.

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
I just posted items on eBay

I'm selling items on eBay right now and I gotta say, even with my pretty low prices--$15.00 to $30.00 with L/XL sizes,I rarely get more than two bids.

But whenever I buy on eBay, I end up spending three times that amount normally. Sigh!

Oh, and if anyone is interested, I'll ping the link to my dresses. They'll be up there for the next few days, as we aren't suppose to put live links in posts.

NicknNora

A-List Customer
Miss Dottie said:
I'm selling items on eBay right now and I gotta say, even with my pretty low prices--$15.00 to $30.00 with L/XL sizes,I rarely get more than two bids.

But whenever I buy on eBay, I end up spending three times that amount normally. Sigh!

Oh, and if anyone is interested, I'll ping the link to my dresses. They'll be up there for the next few days, as we aren't suppose to put live links in posts.

I'll have to take a look! Thanks for the heads up. Good luck to you. I hope you get good prices for all of your items.

I've never sold anything on ebay (only a buyer), do they allow you to place your items in multiple locations? If they do I would think that would be one of the keys to getting more money for them because the more people that can potentially look the better the price should be and the better the presentation (all clothes ironed, multiple photos and great description) the more bids you should get. I always think it's helpful as a buyer when the seller either wears the clothes (if the clothes look good on them) or I can see them on a mannequin. If they are just hanging up it's harder to visualize how wonderful they might look. Measurements are helpful too. I think before I sold on ebay I'd check some of the other sellers descriptions on items getting lots of bids. There might be phrases I could steal from them to use in my own auctions.lol

Does ebay charge a lot to sell stuff? What happens if you don't sell it, do they still get a fee?

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
The tone of the thread seems a little funny to me. It is an auction. Prices are set by what someone is willing to pay. I am a real estate agent and often hear "they want too much for these houses. That is outrageous." But the prices are based on what someone else will pay. If someone is willing to pay more than you, then it is reasonable for the seller to charge that much, and that is the true value of the item. (auction fever, bidding wars excepted to a certain extent)

We, as a group probably tend to be more inclined and able to find bargains. But there are people out there to whom money is not much of an object.

I guess we will have to console ourselves in the occasional bargain we find at the thrift store or a poorly listed item. I recently lost out on a nice jacket, but I can understand why the bidder outbid me.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I have a rather amusing eBay story:

I was looking at a lot of buttons (big surprise, I know) and the picture posted in the listing was a plastic bag with 50+ cards spilling out. It was the only pic, and most of the cards were turned around so you couldnt see the actual buttons. Needless to say, if I was gonna bid, I wanted to at least *see* what I was bidding on.

So I messaged the seller asking for more pictures because it was hard to see exactly what diversity was being offered *and* if they didnt want to pay list them, to email the pics to me. I kid you not, this is what they replied with.

what is is it that you specifically want to see?

:eusa_doh:
The buttons what else!? But I said it nicer than that. Never got those pics.
I didnt bid. Kinda glad of it.

LD

Gigi

New in Town
I usually browse ebay for 1950s clothing, which I feel has definitely risen in price recently. Just a year or two ago I could find a really nice, simple 50s day dress for around $25-$30. Now it'd be a miracle to find anything in my size that was actually attractive for $30. The 1950s can be one of the more "accessible" eras to the general public, but I also think there are more people really getting into vintage fashion and the vintage lifestyle, not just because a fashion mag told them it was "in." At least, that's what I've noticed in the online world.

I've stopped searching ebay for clothing because I can never find anything I like in what I consider a "reasonable" price range. I don't want to bother searching around for a mis-listed item or trawl through all the in-authentic and/or modern rockabilly clothing that is listed in the vintage section just to find one item that might fit what I'm looking for.

Miss Sis

One Too Many
I think some prices on Ebay have gone very high, but conversely, I think lots of prices have dropped.

As usual, it completely depands what you're after. I collect mainly 1930s clothes but some 40s stuff. Some of it is always popular, like evening or cocktail dresses. Other daywear might not fetch such high prices. A friend who has the same size feet as me (Size 9US) recently bought two pairs of 1920s/30s evening shoes in really good condition for about $20 each. For that size, it's extremely cheap.

It's swings and roundabouts. [huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo