Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

eBay/scam "rep" for Johnson Leathers

I stumbled across this today and I'm more than a bit perplexed.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/332537609121

Why would a rep be auctioning off jackets that aren't even built yet? Surely there must be some mistake. I don't know if there is any legitimacy to this ebayer who appears to be several thousand miles away from JL's production area and offering a wide range of sizes on what appears to be a no reserve auctions of yet to be made leather jackets. Something is rotten in Denmark. Or more specifically, Pennsylvania.

Hi Tony and AreoFan_7,

Thanks for contacting me about this listing on ebay. I do not know who this person is but I can assure everyone we Do Not Have An Dealers for my garments. I will now contact ebay and see what can be done to remove this listing. Once again thanks for catching this and appreciate the heads up. On another note we should be back in our old shop by the end of March:)

Alan

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Hi Tony and AreoFan_7,

Thanks for contacting me about this listing on ebay. I do not know who this person is but I can assure everyone we Do Not Have An Dealers for my garments. I will now contact ebay and see what can be done to remove this listing. Once again thanks for catching this and appreciate the heads up. On another note we should be back in our old shop by the end of March:)

Alan
No longer available. Yeah..wording says it all!
Be well. Bowen

I don't understand - what possible benefit would this person have by this? The jacket was listed really cheap...

Certainly hate to see a rotten egg attempt to cast their stench on a reputable, honest, top tier maker. Johnson Leathers is a saved search of mine for good reason. I'm glad they were forced to shut down!

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Just a smash and grab for as little or as much as possible I suspect.
Greetings all:
Like Ton said. I had the same type deal happen on a rare Stetson 100. It was a bid and bin. The bin was too good to be true. The description was super sparse bad pics. When i inquired about specifics and put in a bid they closed it down an never answered any further inquires. They had no seller history. I think they got scared off from trying a smash and grab.
Be well. Bowen

itsallgood

One of the Regulars
This is really interesting. Although eBay states the listing was ended, and so forth, you can still read the ad if you scroll down. The person that wrote it clearly has knowledge of leather jackets. What's also interesting is the person has been an eBay member for nearly 20 years and has all positive feedback - as a buyer. The person has zero feedback as a seller. The other thing I notice is that he's not been active for over a year, and all of the feedback is from accounts suggesting leather, motorcycle, baby shower type products. So, the question I ask myself is, what would drive someone to do this? And, here's my answer. Assume it's a he, assume he began buying motorcycle stuff when he was 20, that would mean he's going on 40 now. Life can get hard when you're approaching 40 and maybe plan 'A' didn't work, and perhaps not plan 'B' either. I see the ad as an act of desperation, although it's hard to understand what the anticipated payoff would be. But, my guess is that it's from a person that's in a tough spot right now. If so, and if the person that wrote that false ad reads this, hang in there, pal, and keep putting one foot in front of the other. That's all you can do.

On a separate note, glad to hear Alan is getting back on his feet. I'll look forward to stopping in to see his new/old store and saying hello.

MeachamLake

A-List Customer
Something tells me whoever posted that listing is watching on here, because they ended the listing themselves voluntarily using the reason "there was an error in the listing".

If eBay had removed the item, it would show up as soon as you click on the link that said item had been removed, and you wouldn't be able to read the description.

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
Something tells me whoever posted that listing is watching on here, because they ended the listing themselves voluntarily using the reason "there was an error in the listing".

If eBay had removed the item, it would show up as soon as you click on the link that said item had been removed, and you wouldn't be able to read the description.
Yes, I've never seen Ebay take a listing down so quickly.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
What's also interesting is the person has been an eBay member for nearly 20 years and has all positive feedback - as a buyer. The person has zero feedback as a seller. The other thing I notice is that he's not been active for over a year, and all of the feedback is from accounts suggesting leather, motorcycle, baby shower type products. So, the question I ask myself is, what would drive someone to do this?

That's an interesting and plausible conclusion. I simply assumed it was a hijacked account. I had someone go so far as to steal my Skype account once, so I imagine getting eBay vendor information would be a small coup.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass