Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Edith Shaine has passed, we have 9 days to get congress to observe Spirit of 45 Day

MissJeanavive

One of the Regulars
3286081221.jpg

Our dear friend Edith Shaine passed away (the famous Kiss Nurse). We are so very sad but we are more determined than ever to finish the work she started with us 3 years ago! She traveled and spoke tirelessly to help establish a day of remembrance for the greatest generation!

We need to get as many people as possible......across the country.....to write to their congressman and ask the following:

"Please CO-SPONSOR H CON RES 226 in observance of Spirit of 45 Day" Those are the exact words we must use to steer them to the correct bill.

We have only 9 days to get 24 more co-sponsors.

Please respond and keep this thread on the top for the next 9 days to honor Edith Shaine and get her bill passesd.

How to reach your congressman

3908140821_bc1bdcf0bf_m.jpg

Edith driving around like a queen in the 37 Buick at last years Spirit of 45 event in San Jose

3908934230_7bfb4e0165_m.jpg

photo.php

Last Years Spirit of 45 Event, San Jose CA

HepKitty

One Too Many
thank you for sharing this, I'm spamming my facebook and myspace friends. why didn't someone think of this before, it's such a huge day in history you'd think that someone would have wanted this to be a holiday, say, in 1945...

Edward

Bartender
Is there another holiday in the US calendar that marks the fallen in wars? Don't want this to sound like a criticism of this campaign, just curious. Here in the UK, WW2 and others were bundled in with the marking of the Armistice at the end of the Great War (11/11... etc). Of course, while this is marked officially, it is not a public holiday. Interesting idea - I think it has merit, provided they could do it without it becoming jingoistic and triumphalist.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Do we, as a nation, officially recognize (and celebrate) V-E day? Just curious. Perhaps that's what Spirit of 45 day would fall under?

MissJeanavive

One of the Regulars
Memorial Day honors all soldiers; not specifically for WWII. Spirit of 45 is more encompassing to include the home front and really a lifestyle (spirit) that surrounded the "greatest generation"

1945 was a shift not only with the war but an entire culture "The Greatest Generation" is a term coined by journalist Tom Brokaw to describe the generation[1] who grew up in the United States during the deprivation of the Great Depression, and then went on to fight in World War II, as well as those whose productivity within the war's home front made a decisive material contribution to the war effort."

Give the congressman in your area the opportunity to decide on this bill...till they have the info in front of them this is just conversation....please take the time and go here: http://www.spiritof45.org/index.php?Support_the_Bill&id=16/

Be sure to have your full zip code the 5 +

If you don't know your full zip code look it up here:
http://zip4.usps.com/zip4/welcome.jsp

This is a great opportunity to get involved in your local community/politics...because of this I am now tracking my local congressmen to see how she is representing my community which ultimately effects our nation as well. So many people have died to give us this right to influence politics...and we should. Edith Shain believed in this and spent her golden years travelling the country to make this a reality to leave her generations legacy on the books...

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Edward said:
Is there another holiday in the US calendar that marks the fallen in wars? Don't want this to sound like a criticism of this campaign, just curious. Here in the UK, WW2 and others were bundled in with the marking of the Armistice at the end of the Great War (11/11... etc). Of course, while this is marked officially, it is not a public holiday. Interesting idea - I think it has merit, provided they could do it without it becoming jingoistic and triumphalist.

I for one am quite glad we triumphed over Nazi Germany, fascist Italy and Imperial Japan!

MissJeanavive

One of the Regulars
Pod Cast & Facebook Page

Recent Pod Cast about the Spirit of 45 - and message from the Spirit of 45 Organization:

http://www.kmj580.com/common/global_audio/174/19692.mp3
Here is the link to the one hour pod cast.

"My thanks go out again to our network girl, Jeanavive Janssen Stokes for introducing me to Paul from KMJ580. He did an amazing job! He said that his show covers a large part of northern Calif. and he named 7 congressmen that his listeners should reach out to! His listeners are serious history buffs..."

JOIN US on FACEBOOK

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran