Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Effort required in maintaining veg tanned leather jacket? Plus aging question

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
The sole of your shoes is a veg tan cow, so is your rugged belt, or most jeans leather patch, i dont think it is a weaker leather, but perhaps much less supple, and the look is wildly evolving if not protected in anyway from elements and staining.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
I bought a veg leather wallet and belt clip for the wallet chain recently, the wallet is lightly protected on the surface with slight semi tranparent tan top coat to add some gloss and give some starting color, the belt clip was natural. Both always used together around my waist, the belt clip start out paler, 1 month later the belt clip is visibly darker. Both still absorbing water, oil, and stain, but introducing even a thin coat makes major different for veg tan, so probably in jacket since mostly pigmented it wont make it too much problem
4NOiqiS.jpg

New.
fKdYjog.jpg

less than a month use, frequent handling because it is a wallet and less handling on the clip only when putting on and off the belt, but the clip evolves more, ok for small item like this but not knowing how even or blotchy this process over a large panel of leather is too scary for me to ever try veg jacket in its natural unprotected color, most likely the evolution for city dweller is not as cool as in picture, i imagine tomato ketchup , toothpaste splatter, and cooking oil stain more than motor oil stain.

Last edited:

dannyk

One Too Many
My statements were meant for CXL and Veg Tan in general. There’s a million variations of each. So I didn’t mean it as an absolute, just a general thing. But as we’ve all said the most important factor on how something wears, it’s ability to hold up to the elements, how well it’s color lasts...all of it will depend on if it has a finish/topcoat and if it does, what is it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichelleGrace86