Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Elbow patches on linen sportcoats

Doc Smith

Familiar Face
One of the problems with having a favorite linen sportcoat is that they wear out. (Well, I assume that the Harris Tweed will eventually wear out too, but I may wear out first.)

Patched elbows seem to be par for the course with tweed. I've patched elbows on my old heavyweight flannel blazer, and the effect seems ok.

Is patching the elbows on a medium-blue linen sportcoat a bad idea? Now that summer is inching (very incrementally, but this is Michigan) closer, I'd rather not do without, and can't quite make the case for a nice made-to-measure yet.

Pointers to where this has been discussed to death are, of course, welcome. My failure to find them doesn't mean they aren't there, just that I'm not using the right search terms.

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
Doc,
I'm unsure if it has been discussed (but what hasn't on this forum!), but I'm thinking you could get away with it if you did something along the lines of navy blue patches on the elbows. I think It'd have a real yacht club feel, for which I happen to have a fondness.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Is patching the elbows on a medium-blue linen sportcoat a bad idea? .
Nope.

Personally I'd go for a linen patch in a contrasting color.Something like this:

M12110030_810_02_504_540.jpg

zileri-stripe-jacket-654493-103994_thumbmini.jpg
zileri-stripe-jacket-654498-113141_thumbmini.jpg

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
Nope. Don't think you can patch the elbows on linen. Only thing that might work would be white suede and swap out the buttons for white MOP. Do a search on StyleForum for elbow patches. There was a thread there recently that had a link to a source in NYC.

EDIT: NM. I actually book-marked the site: http://www.jackfoxley.com/

Wolfmanjack

Practically Family
Doc, Make some patches out of old, soft, sail canvas; very down-east, new england, preppy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot