Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Elegant Expedition Clothing?

MissQueenie

Practically Family
Hello all!

Odds are looking good that I will be spending this fall in the deserts of southern Jordan. Life in camp is primitive at best -- gravity fed unheated showers, kerosene lamps, etc -- and we'll be working 10-14 hour days six days a week. I'd like to step out in vintage style on my days off, but I'm not sure what to pack, considering I'll be living out of a military duffle for 2 months. I'm assuming whatever I pack will have to be pretty casual. Any ideas?

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
well, with seeing some of the pictures of where you're going to be, nothing white! :D slacks and blouses are always a good stand by

Nick Charles

Practically Family
Khaki, khaki, khaki. and a Pith Like this

watfordwoam1ui.jpg

MissQueenie

Practically Family
Gotta love that pith helmet!

So far, I'd like to bring:

2-3 pairs nice wide-legged trousers (what colors/fabrics?)
A few button-down cotton shirts
1 jacket (wool? belt back?)
1-2 sweaters
Bright silk scarf to tie around neck or over hair

Everything gets washed by hand in cold water in a metal bucket, so it's got to be sturdy fabric.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Linen for day, fleece for night. The days can be hot well into November so lighter earth tones would work well. The nights can get cool/cold so mid weight fleece would be handy.

magneto

Practically Family
Vintage-minded expedition clothes

I don't have much to add (aside from the obligatory mention of "tropical weight wool")...but as you may know, up until the 1960s(?) Abercrombie and Finch's and Banana Republic both exclusively sold tropical/safari and other expedition gear and attire. (Hard to believe now, I know!). Perhaps you could find some of their old catalogs to see the sort of things they sold for this sort of trip?

MissQueenie

Practically Family
Tomasso said:
Linen for day, fleece for night. The days can be hot well into November so lighter earth tones would work well. The nights can get cool/cold so mid weight fleece would be handy.

Thanks for the tips -- my last trip out there was during the hottest part of the summer, so I'm having a hard time with the concept that I will need a sleeping bag and a jacket and sweaters! I'll make sure to pack a fleece layer for those chilly nights.

MissQueenie

Practically Family
magneto said:
I don't have much to add (aside from the obligatory mention of "tropical weight wool")...but as you may know, up until the 1960s(?) Abercrombie and Finch's and Banana Republic both exclusively sold tropical/safari and other expedition gear and attire. (Hard to believe now, I know!). Perhaps you could find some of their old catalogs to see the sort of things they sold for this sort of trip?

What a great idea! I'll have to do some hunting and see what I can find. I bet a lot of that stuff will turn up in salvation armies and goodwills...

Etienne

A-List Customer
Hi, Queenie, I've missed seeing any posts of yours lately. So now I'm feeling like I'm out of the loop--you're going to Jordan FOR...???--Is this related to your job?

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
You'll probably need a handbag--check out Duluth Pack . They're U.S. made, the same way they made them in the 1900s, the website states.

photo-b1365-khk.jpg

I have one of their backpacks--it has a little more cachet than a student backpack.

The latest and greatest in fabric is Coolmax. I haven't tried it, but it's supposed to help keep you cool.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Us Boys have had many a thread on this type of gear-
I will second Nick Charles' "Khaki, Khaki, Khaki, Khaki,..."

Vintage khakis, Army surplus, Johdpurs, ...

Khaki trousers with a white shirt is a good look but the white might be a risk.

Untitled-6copy.jpg

...don't forget to take the coffee along.

Oh- and those boots of yours, perfect match with the johdpurs.

For some more Vintage Adventure wardrobe inspiration, check out some more pictures of Osa Johnson here-

http://www.safarimuseum.com/exhib_photo_online.htm

B
T

MissQueenie

Practically Family
Holy smokes!

BT, what an amazing link! I'd never heard of the Johnsons before, but they seem like a remarkable pair. The photographs are stunning! I can't thank you enough for introducing me to their work :D

Paisley, thanks for the link to the handbag! My mother gave me a purse that is very similar to the one in your picture last year, and I love it. It's a little too small for my purposes this time around; I need something that will be able to carry one or two cameras, film, possibly a changing bag, a pocket notebook, my wallet, and a bottle of water...I'm terrible. Either I'm bringing the kitchen sink, or I go empty handed, so I think I'll have to find something at a surplus store.

Etienne, if I go (haha, I'm still trying to tell myself I haven't decided yet) to Jordan, it will be as part of a research excavation of a Bronze Age fortress in the levant. I was with the team in 2003, but we were working about 15 km away from the fortress on two other sites (Iron Age cemetary and Bronze Age village).

Thanks so much for all the suggestions! I'll definitely take a browse through the men's threads -- it hadn't occured to me to look there.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
I have the Folkwear big sky riding skirt pattern. It's pretty good for that sort of thing. And you should make a belted back jacket in linen :)

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
MissQueenie said:
Either I'm bringing the kitchen sink, or I go empty handed, so I think I'll have to find something at a surplus store.

I am the same way--just going to work, I carry a lunch, a book or two, wallet, umbrella, makeup case, and sometimes dance shoes. Hence, I bought a nice backpack.

You might check out the shell bags; they're larger than the haversack I posted a photo of. It says, "Naturalists, geologists and hikers also love this bag, stuffing them with specimens, tools, field guides, camera and notebook." They look good, too:

b111.jpg

Dedicated campers might also find the history link interesting.

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
MissQueenie said:
Etienne, if I go (haha, I'm still trying to tell myself I haven't decided yet) to Jordan, it will be as part of a research excavation of a Bronze Age fortress in the levant. I was with the team in 2003, but we were working about 15 km away from the fortress on two other sites (Iron Age cemetary and Bronze Age village).

Sounds fascinating. Which fortress are you working on?

MissQueenie

Practically Family
The site is called Khirbat-en-Nahas. The site is one of the largest copper production site in the Eastern Med. known to date. Here's the project website: http://www.anthro.ucsd.edu/~tlevy/index_files/Edom.htm

The grey and black matter littering the ground in the aerial shot of the site at the bottom of page is slag (a waste product from the smelting process). The site is absolutely covered with slag (filthy, heavy, sharp-edged...did I mention it was filthy? Makes everything coal-black!). I think in 2002 they stopped counting the weight at more than a ton. I won't be wearing white in the field, that's for sure!

Julius Xavier

One of the Regulars
Posting on behalf of LuckieDame

My girlfriend Mindy (LuckieDame) is a new member here and doesn't have the ability to post yet (still awaiting MK's approval) but she has always like these outfits that Chrissy Swanson wore in the movie The Phantom. I think they look like what you ladies could be looking for myself.

147329179.jpg

147329169.jpg

147329192.jpg

147329196.jpg

147329160.jpg

147329151.jpg

147329220.jpg

Her pants button on the sides and have a flat front.
147329211.jpg

147329203.jpg

Hope this inspires... Yours in Adventure-

DocIndyJones

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
islamicjankari