Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Embarrassing Moments

Helen Troy

A-List Customer
And speaking of panty-dropping: My mother actually experienced this in the early 80s. It was the 8th of March; womens day, and she was participating in this womens lib. march. She was 8 months pregnant with me, and had my brother in a stroller, marching along in the midst of a sea of women, when I decide to give her a particularly violent kick from the inside. And she feels the elastics snap on her panties. She is wearing a skirt, so there are nothing preventing the panties from breaking for freedom on the ground.

For a while, she tries to hold them up with a hand on her hip, but with the stroller-pushing and everything that is really not that easy. So, maybe inspired by the occation, (womens lib.-march) she decides to just let go. The panties slides down to the ground as she walks, she steps out of them and hundreds and hundreds of women coming after her march over her stupid low-quality panties. Kind of symbolic, in a way!

I really knew how to kick when she was pregnant with me, that was not the only time I broke the elastics in her panties. It also happened on a posh academic do, with all her important proffesors. Imagine trying to balance a drink and a plate of food and trying to keep the panties from hitting the floor, while you are discussing greek translations of early christian scriptures!

faloola

New in Town
I am possibly the queen of making a fool of myself!
When I worked in a bar is one of the worst i can remember! It was a very busy saturday night and we had run out of glasses (really rubbish pub!) someone brought a tray of them out an put them on the floor. i crouched down to get some an my trousers decided they hated me and suddenly ripped all the way down the front and back showing my underware to the whole pub! :eek: worst of it was a guy i really liked was at the bar and proceeded to wet himself laughing at me! shame!
My boss was really mean as well and wouldnt let me go home! gave me a longer tshirt an told me to put on a pinny to cover up!
wasnt the best night in work i ever had!

Smuterella

One Too Many
Ooh, one that stands out was when I went to meet my ex girlfriends mum for the first time. I decided to wear my "new" vintage silver and black zebra skin shoes, very high stilettos, they are marvellous. Apart from the metal heels. I just couldn't walk and was skidding all over the place, my poor girlfriend had to hold me up all evening, I looked like a trashy drunk.

Helen Troy

A-List Customer
dollydaydream said:
You know what, I'm feeling so much better about this kind of thing now!!

Tights scare me because the gusset always ends up near my knees! I've never had them fall off though thankfully, I often ladder them as soon as I get to the office though :eusa_doh:
A friend of mine actually buys the longest size she can find, pulls them up to right under her breasts and fastens them with a safety pin to her bra! At leas they don't go crawling downwards that way.

Smuterella

One Too Many
I have never had a problem with tights, but then I have very long legs, apparently

ooh, I often put my jeans on to find a pair of knickers trailing out the bottom of one leg a few hours later

thats very very bad

:eek:

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
I won't wear holdups any more after one too many times of walking home holding one up (or both)! I have been known once to actually rip them off in the street (I tucked into a doorway) because I couldn't hold it through my thick skirt!

I quie often go round with my cardigan buttoned up wrong, so one side is higher than the other. shakeshead

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
I was in a variety show once and we had a scene where we were saloon girls. (that was bad enough as the costum was a corset, underwear and fishnets). I had been really sick and the costume change was really hard. In an rush to get on stage on time I forgot my shoes. Also about have way through one of the numbers my clip on bun started to fall out. I ened up tossing it in the window sill. The worst part was that all my friends came to see me that evening.

Smuterella said:
I have never had a problem with tights, but then I have very long legs, apparently

ooh, I often put my jeans on to find a pair of knickers trailing out the bottom of one leg a few hours later

thats very very bad

:eek:

I do that with socks!! I mean socks hanging out the bottom, not knickers anging out of my socks, that would be too crazy. I have particularly short legs so everything is always too long! I have a feelng that if I safety pinned my tights to my bra there would be an awful bra disaster!

On the subject of shows, when I was little little (rather than little as I am now) about 6 or 7 I think, I went to tap & ballet classes and we had a show, me being the nervous thing I am did my routine as a toy robot (i loved my costume), in floods of tears because I was so scared. It was in an old peoples home though, so maybe the tears were justified... That sticks in my mind for some reason. I think it is because my outfit really was that great.

Oh, quite often my bottom decides to try to eat my trousers which can be a little embarassing lol

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
Helen Troy said:
So many times have I had to walk like John Wayne in a futile attempt to prevent the pantyhose to slide even further down, feeling and knowing that they are already way below my bum under my skirt!

That description of the walk is so perfect. It's exactly what I looked like...lol lol

Add to that the knowledge that once they pass a certain point, there's no way to get or keep them up without needing privacy, and horror ensues!! :eek: ;)

Kitty_Sheridan

Practically Family
The Shirt, love it! 'The girls are flying about' lol

Babydoll, my boyf tells a great story about his best pal as a child. They were at the seaside enjoying an ice cream cone (you know the sloppy Mr Whippy type?) A large gull flew over and pooped all down this kids sleeve, but he thought his ice cream had dripped so he licked it off!!!!:eek:

Bleeeurrrgh

I also have a lovely button through polka dot dress and one hot day at an event I put my can handled umbrella in my shopping basket and put them both on the floor.
When I picked my basket up again, unbeknownst to me, the handle of my umbrella got stuck through the buttons and the higher I held my basket the more underpinning I exposed!

Oh the shame.....

This is very therapeutic...can I also add that aged 5 I did a backwards roll into a plate of ravioli. Phewwwww I feel so much better alreadylol

Caledonia

Practically Family
Knicker elastic snapped while walking through the middle of Glasgow. With half a sec to spare I managed to shove my hand into my coat pocket and grab the knickers through my skirt. I then walked a mile in that position till I reached the bus stop. Once on the bus I discreetly removed the offending item. Thank my lucky stars mini skirts weren't in season!

Also, pulled on my jeans to head off to work unaware that yesterday's knickers were still stuck down one leg. Spent about an hour at work wandering around with them dragging along behind me before I realised (skinny jeans when they were in fashion the first time round, if that helps explain it!).

Mojito

One Too Many
These stories are hilarious - you could compile them into a great book of anecdotes (although that might have too much appeal to the fetish crowd!).

I'd wondered about the falling knickers story, particularly after reading this hilarious Lileks gallery of annotated Art Frahm artwork - which I'm sure most Loungers are familiar with: http://lileks.com/institute/frahm/index.html One of his comments on Frahm's work is the ubiquity of spontaneously falling knickers. Lileks questions how frequently this could have happened.

I was chatting to an 85 year old family friend about undergarment mishaps (I think it was "slips migrating north"), and the subject came up after she mentioned a knicker slipping incident. She assured me that it could and did happen quite frequently - and from the experiences here, it seems the peril has not yet abated!

Helen Troy

A-List Customer
On another, less horrifying but still embarrassing note, I once wore two different shoes to school a whole day without even noticing! I live in another world sometimes. To my defence, the shoes where more or less the same style, black step-ins, one in patent and one in suede leather. But, the heel on the one were about half an inch higher than the other! I noticed I walked funny, but it didn't occur to me to check the shoes. Sometimes I wonder where my head is....

Helen Troy said:
On another, less horrifying but still embarrassing note, I once wore two different shoes to school a whole day without even noticing! I live in another world sometimes. To my defence, the shoes where more or less the same style, black step-ins, one in patent and one in suede leather. But, the heel on the one were about half an inch higher than the other! I noticed I walked funny, but it didn't occur to me to check the shoes. Sometimes I wonder where my head is....

I'm sorry, I know I will be smote(???!!!!) but that is sooo funny!

dani

Familiar Face
i had a bird poop on me once while it flew over me. when i was in my tenns my chest was large compared to my waist, so i had a hard time finding shirts that fit right. well while at busch gardens i was on the pirate ship ride, and they popped out while upside down, thankfully my exboyfriend, and i wear the only ones on the ride, and the ride did not take pictures, it was horrible.

Lulu-in-Ny

A-List Customer
Caledonia said:
Knicker elastic snapped while walking through the middle of Glasgow. With half a sec to spare I managed to shove my hand into my coat pocket and grab the knickers through my skirt.

Wow... the old "hold on for dear life through your pocket" angle. I have, alas, done that more than once. Back in my Sisters of Mercy youth, it was quite a difficult manoeuver, seeing as how you were hopelessly grasping through layers of lace, brocade, or, god forbid, vinyl... every time you did it silently praying that what you had a hold of was, indeed, what you were aiming for...

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
LizzieMaine said:
I've had more than my share of garters coming undone and heels breaking off shoes, but the worst thing happened one day at work last summer -- I had rushed into the employees rest room to do some urgent business, and in my haste i forgot to press the lock button. As I was doing myself up afterward, skirt hoisted above waist and getting my girdle back into position, the door opened and our 15 year old popcorn boy was standing there with a look of utter horror on his face. He apparently had no idea such things existed as I was wearing under my dress.

I mustered as much dignitiy as I could and said "I'll be just another moment. Could you check the ice machine when you go downstairs?"

We have never spoken of the incident since. Fortunately.

lol
You may have planted the seed of something in his coming adult hood.
I love of vintage underthings perhaps :rolleyes:

Only time will tell.

LD

Sunny

One Too Many
Lulu-in-Ny said:
Wow... the old "hold on for dear life through your pocket" angle. I have, alas, done that more than once. Back in my Sisters of Mercy youth, it was quite a difficult manoeuver, seeing as how you were hopelessly grasping through layers of lace, brocade, or, god forbid, vinyl... every time you did it silently praying that what you had a hold of was, indeed, what you were aiming for...

And there's a lady Civil War reenactor, who tells the story of how her drawers let go during a parade. Not just any parade, the inaugural parade. She was able to get her hand through the plackets of her skirt and miscellaneous petticoats, through the bones of her cage crinoline, and grab a firm handful of under-petticoat and drawers alike. Her main concern was that the sharpshooters on the roofs would think she was digging for a weapon! lol

There's an actual period account, written by a lady in England, who completely lost one leg of her drawers while walking in the town one day. She had to just walk off and leave it in the street! Some time later, she was pretty ticked off to recognize the expensive lace that had been on it adorning the apron of another woman!

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Vintage blowout

is our greatest fear!

I had my very favorite silk velvet 30s dress rip out while dancing at the Fairmont Hotel, in fornt of many witnesses - as I turned under the upraised arm of my partner, my fragile old dress split from the point of my elbow all the way down to my hip!
I was young and lithe and had not a stitch on under it, just thigh high stockings (bad girl I was).
Not a lot you can do to hold together a rip about two feet long - luckily my friend had a needle and thread so we quickly repaired it enough for decency!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80