Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Engineer Boots, Harness Boots...

Delawareguy

New in Town
This is my first post on the FL.... I've read this forum with great interest. I've come here from a different path than most of you. I'm not a biker (though I did ride motorcross until i was 50) but got here as a musician. I've started wearing Frye harness boots in the early seventies. I've always enjoyed owning and wearing nice boots. As a musician, the golden rule is you always wear long pants, typically jeans, and you have good "gig shoes." I typically wore roper style Tony Lamas on stage for a long time but they were never comfortable and in fact during a long night they would absolutely crush my feet. About five years ago, I decided to get a pair of 12R Frye harness boots (in gaucho) as an alternative. I had a REALLY hard time getting them on so didn't wear them much. Recently I started wearing them again and was amazed at how easy they were to get on, and frankly, how comfortable they were when they broke in. I started wearing them daily. A couple weeks ago my wife and I were in New York and stumbled across the Frye shop on Spring Street. She wanted to check it out. Long story short I ended up getting a pair of 12R engineer boots, also in gaucho. I have worn these non stop since getting them and they have broken in nicely. While I typically wear a 10 in most shoes and the harness boots, I needed a 9.5 in the engineer boots. The left boot was virtually impossible to get on due to my high instep, but I persevered and it now goes on easily. As an aside the very helpful salesperson (Barbara) suggested putting a tennis ball in the instep to stretch it, which I haven't done but makes total sense. Of course I didn't know anything about Whites or Wescos until I came across this thread and I wouldn't rule out having a custom pair made at some point. It is important to note that Frye was running a special... $100 off, which meant the net price was $189... with free shipping there was no sales tax, this was a hell of a deal. Of course the boots my wife found were not on sale... What I like most about these boots is that they are more versatile than the harness boots, and I've found they look great with khakis... Anyway, I'm now fully engaged in this forum and am learning a lot. Oh I should note that a bunch of my friends ride street bikes and have been hasseling me to ride with them, and of course, now i have the boots for the job.... wouldn't it be funny if I got the bike to go with the boots?

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 290
  • IMG_0287.jpg
    IMG_0287.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 241
Last edited:

RJR

This is my first post on the FL.... I've read this forum with great interest. I've come here from a different path than most of you. I'm not a biker (though I did ride motorcross until i was 50) but got here as a musician. I've started wearing Frye harness boots in the early seventies. I've always enjoyed owning and wearing nice boots. As a musician, the golden rule is you always wear long pants, typically jeans, and you have good "gig shoes." I typically wore roper style Tony Lamas on stage for a long time but they were never comfortable and in fact during a long night they would absolutely crush my feet. About five years ago, I decided to get a pair of 12R Frye harness boots (in gaucho) as an alternative. I had a REALLY hard time getting them on so didn't wear them much. Recently I started wearing them again and was amazed at how easy they were to get on, and frankly, how comfortable they were when they broke in. I started wearing them daily. A couple weeks ago my wife and I were in New York and stumbled across the Frye shop on Spring Street. She wanted to check it out. Long story short I ended up getting a pair of 12R engineer boots, also in gaucho. I have worn these non stop since getting them and they have broken in nicely. While I typically wear a 10 in most shoes and the harness boots, I needed a 9.5 in the engineer boots. The left boot was virtually impossible to get on due to my high instep, but I persevered and it now goes on easily. As an aside the very helpful salesperson (Barbara) suggested putting a tennis ball in the instep to stretch it, which I haven't done but makes total sense. Of course I didn't know anything about Whites or Wescos until I came across this thread and I wouldn't rule out having a custom pair made at some point. It is important to note that Frye was running a special... $100 off, which meant the net price was $189... with free shipping there was no sales tax, this was a hell of a deal. Of course the boots my wife found were not on sale... What I like most about these boots is that they are more versatile than the harness boots, and I've found they look great with khakis... Anyway, I'm now fully engaged in this forum and am learning a lot. Oh I should note that a bunch of my friends ride street bikes and have been hasseling me to ride with them, and of course, now i have the boots for the job.... wouldn't it be funny if I got the bike to go with the boots?
Welcome,I believe you'll find the Lounge interesting and informative.

Delawareguy

New in Town
I talked with Pete the custom guru there and he told me yes they could make me a pair out of something provided to wesco by me, but it would need to be 5oz leather or thicker, still have to be tested for durability by wesco first, so there's no guarantees they would use the hide, and there isn't any price break if you do provide your own hide. I kinda shelved that idea but it may be time to look into it again.
I remember calling horween about buying my own hide and a FQHH was in the $300 range. If I remember correctly Pete told me I could get two sets of boots out of a hide. Does anybody want to go halves on a hide with me for a custom pair of engineer boots in horse hide?

I might if this is still an option.... I love cordovan.

Delawareguy

New in Town
I do not own any FRYE boots currently, however, something has happened to that brand. FRYE was all made right here in the USA for a very long time, and anything made by FRYE was super fantastic quality. But then something has happened, they have far too much of their product made with some very cheap PRESSED leather. Pressed leather is chunks and tid bits of leather that is PRESSED with steam and glue to make a single sheet of leather of it. JUNK! You can with ease, pull apart and rip any pressed leather if you want to do that, so why buy junk? Their shoes are CHINA or some made in Mexico. Not much quality at all. They have no weight to them as they are simply not made with anything of quality at all. Such a shame.

Not sure if any of their engineer boots are made in the USA? If not, you would be wasting your money on FRYE brand, just my opinion.

They do offer US made engineer boots, you need to confirm online. There is a MAJOR different in the feel of the non-US made boots and the US made boots. I would suggest that the current US made boots are comparable to those I purchased in the early seventies. The "fashion" lines seem to be department store quality, and will be tossed after a couple seasons. My current 12R harness boots are five years old and just hitting their stride fit and lookwise. I think they are a tremendous value.

Delawareguy

New in Town
A few things I thought I'd share.
  • I picked up a pair of the Iron Heart/Wesco 1930's Engineers. One photo below and many more here.
  • I put up a short review of them over here.
  • Simon James Cathcart was/is answering questions about his line of shoes here. I've seen questions about what model on which his engineers are based. TL;DR - it's a few things including a RAF 1936 boot. He also mentions he's leaving the edges natural and lengthening the straps on his production models of the engineer.

Xecp4FC.jpg
mmmm... pretty...

Delawareguy

New in Town
I have several pairs of Fryes, and they're all very well made. I've seen the Artisinals on Ebay going for heavily discounted prices, but what worries me about those vendors is that some have a no-return policy and, especially with engineers, the sizing is often a problem. Also, I received a pair of lace-ups from one of those sites that are very nice but have more lace-holes on one side than the other. Nordstrom Rack, though, sells Fryes at quite a discount, and the last time I looked they had the Artisanals. I just got a pair of Chelsea boots last week for $179.00 that are very nice. Nordstrom accepts returns, as well.

I just bought my 12R's at the Frye store in NYC. I tried on several pairs, which allowed me to pick the fit and the leather/tone I liked. I should note I only tried on size 9.5 Gaucho, and there was some differential in fit and color/finish from boot to boot. Bottom line, I got a GREAT pair of boots, for $189 (shipped for free on sale) with no sales tax. Bam....

Delawareguy

New in Town
I'm interested. Engineer-boots are looking very very good, but, is there a special advantage on them, that they are still so popular, today?

Are they suitable for short hikes, like todays walking-boots with damping soles?

I have been wearing my 12Rs non stop since I got them a week ago. They have broken in well and are quite comfortable. They aren't "fancy" at all, just plain, rugged, comfortable, boots.

Delawareguy

New in Town
Sorry, I seem to be dominating the forum this week, but I just completed reading the entire forum from start to finish. I learned a lot, and I've learned that there is a lot I don't know! I am interested in getting a couple more pairs of engineer boots, particularly a pair of custom cordovans and perhaps something vintage.... Anyway, I just wanted to circle back, say hello, and introduce myself... I'm Rob, a middle aged white guy from Delaware, former motocrosser, and long time (part time) musician. Also a banker but no one cares about that. See y'all around here....

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
They do offer US made engineer boots, you need to confirm online. There is a MAJOR different in the feel of the non-US made boots and the US made boots. I would suggest that the current US made boots are comparable to those I purchased in the early seventies. The "fashion" lines seem to be department store quality, and will be tossed after a couple seasons. My current 12R harness boots are five years old and just hitting their stride fit and lookwise. I think they are a tremendous value.
I totally agree. And really when you buy any foot ware, let quality over price by a factor as well. Feet need to be in proper boots or shoes.

Delawareguy

New in Town
I totally agree. And really when you buy any foot ware, let quality over price by a factor as well. Feet need to be in proper boots or shoes.
Absolutely agree on quality and fit.....I have three pairs of alden/brooks brothers loafers (2x cordovan and one black) that I have had since the late 80s....

Last edited:

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I tried on a few pairs of Fryes in their New York shop, and I have to say that I wasn't blown away - not for the price they were asking. I've been looking at a pair of engineers for a while now, damned difficult to get a pair that are comfortable, and tbh it would be between Red Wing's 2268s (without the steel toe cap) or a pair of Wesco Boss boots with the polished leather. A bit more expensive, yes, but the quality's a step up, that's for sure.

Edward

Bartender
Always fancied a pair of those Frye Brandos. Did they ever claim that's what Strabler wore? I have a notion I read it was Frye of some sort, but...

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Always fancied a pair of those Frye Brandos. Did they ever claim that's what Strabler wore? I have a notion I read it was Frye of some sort, but...
I think they were the Rand Engineers. Not sure if they still make them, but I saw a few sizes still available on either Zappos or Amazon not too long ago. I still have my Jackson Engineers that I got 15 years ago and wear them all the time but not to work, as they're too heavy. They're the most comfortable engineers I've ever had, though.

Edward

Bartender
I think they were the Rand Engineers. Not sure if they still make them, but I saw a few sizes still available on either Zappos or Amazon not too long ago. I still have my Jackson Engineers that I got 15 years ago and wear them all the time but not to work, as they're too heavy. They're the most comfortable engineers I've ever had, though.
Thanks! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner