Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Engineer Boots, Harness Boots...

univibe88

One Too Many
It just occurred to me that your proposed build will look almost exactly like mine - except for the brown edges and the soft toe. See the pictures in the quote above ^^^^^^

Mine are black with double midsoles, Vibram half soles/Quabaug heel, one added lift (1/4"). I would pass on the 1/4" lift next time - I don't hate it, but it was a bit taller than I like. It is more vintage authentic in height however, and the full leather heel looks AWESOME.

I also wonder if you could ask for what White's calls a "close trim" - they cut the welt closer to the boot to make the sole profile narrower. This is an option on Semi-Dress, but I have nver heard of it being done to Smoke Jumpers or Nomads. It might lend a bit more vintage character to the build.

I placed the order! And I took your advice to go for the close trim. I think it will be a good choice for those boots. Oh, and I agree that the full leather heel looks awesome! That's why I like half soles. I don't love the black strip of a full sole running through the heel.

These showed up the other day!
Buttero1.jpg
I love the color, and they're pretty comfortable.
They have a very different style top strap/buckle set up...in the back.
buttero2.jpg
If anyone can give me more info on Buttero boots (other than their website stuff) I'd like to know more.

nightandthecity

Practically Family
My wife has a pair like yours but black. When she bought them (off evilbay many years ago) she was told they were the original buttero design as worn by Tuscan cowboys (butteros). Like the US engineer boot it is basically a "wellington" riding boot (named after the Iron Duke) and I suspect it is coincidental that buckles were added on both. If you look closely you'll see that the shoe section is still the basic wellington design (as is the US western boot and most British riding boots) but the modern US Engineer boot has evolved and the shoe section is more like a typical work ankle boot (I'm referring to the cut of the sections and the seams).

If they are of the same cut and quality as my wife's you have got a beautifully designed and made boot. I particularly like the more pointed toe (compared to the engineer) and generally more elegant profile. Always fancied a pair for myself.

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Got samples of WESCO's new wax pull up leathers yesterday. Man this stuff is nice! It's a tad thinner than their oil tanned hides but seems a tad thicker than the CXL White's uses. Not sure how I feel about the black (prefer a less matte finish), but the brown and burgundy are absolutely incredible and would make a killer pair of engineers ;)

Left to right: black, brown, burgundy
519DBCE3-6037-476F-A3E8-F840A7A38A86.jpg

Top to bottom, wrinkled up: burgundy, black, brown
5F31C7A3-DAE7-4AFF-B4AB-0B08FFA3AC72.jpg

Burgundy:
4EABBABC-714A-47DB-AEA9-E93BDDC55F7E.jpg

Brown:
8CFF0F0E-CDA4-4B5C-88D5-57980E0FBAAE.jpg

Flesh side, note the heavy oil/wax saturation:
3A0B0D0C-3BC4-4CA8-A68E-542270770EC2.jpg

Last edited:

Dickie Teenie

A-List Customer
In five weeks or so I'll have my pair of Boss in the new brown. Bretron i almost had it out of my mind until you brought it up, damn you! heh and yes i was impressed with my sample as well.

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
Got samples of WESCO's new wax pull up leathers yesterday. Man this stuff is nice! It's a tad thinner than their oil tanned hides but seems a tad thicker than the CXL White's uses. Not sure how I feel about the black (prefer a less matte finish), but the brown and burgundy are absolutely incredible and would make a killer pair of engineers ;)

Left to right: black, brown, burgundy
519DBCE3-6037-476F-A3E8-F840A7A38A86.jpg

Top to bottom, wrinkled up: burgundy, black, brown
5F31C7A3-DAE7-4AFF-B4AB-0B08FFA3AC72.jpg

Burgundy:
4EABBABC-714A-47DB-AEA9-E93BDDC55F7E.jpg

Brown:
8CFF0F0E-CDA4-4B5C-88D5-57980E0FBAAE.jpg

Flesh side, note the heavy oil/wax saturation:
3A0B0D0C-3BC4-4CA8-A68E-542270770EC2.jpg
Awesome stuff....the burgundy and the brown do rock my boat...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skipbarnes