Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Engineer Boots, Harness Boots...

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
I understand that it could be a problem with the soles if one works in construction or something where you walk around inside peoples homes and so with shoes on.

But for me I dont see any problem. I never walk around inside with my boots ever. As soon as I come home I take them off inside the door, and that goes when coming to friends houses as well.

I change shoes at work so ill just be using them outside.

Is there something I missed?

univibe88

One Too Many
marineabilly said:
I'd sooner get rid of my $900+ Real McCoy's Buco boots before my $150 Chippewas.

I'm glad to hear this. I had been thinking of dropping some serious coin on some Wesco boots, but I think I'll go for the Chippewas. I have nothing but respect for Wesco, and I have no doubt they are very fine shoes. However I don't have that kind of coin right now.

I like that the Chippewas come in wide widths and are made in the USA for $150.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
cbrunt said:
Hey gang,

This thread is making ME want engineer boots now too...:eusa_doh:

Granted they're cliche, but has anyone seen or own the Frye Brandon boot, in "tobaco" leather style 87240 ? (scroll down to second pair)
http://www.stompersboots.com/gtwy_engineer-031.php

I just love brown boots and leather stuff.

Clint
You're in a growing, but beleaguered minority. Black is important to riders and anyone who wants that image, not just because of oil staining issues, but because black has been the only really "correct" leather color in those circles for a long time.

Sometimes style hardens into etiquette - this is one of those times. That's changing, but I imagine the cycling community will hold out longest.

Fryes don't seem to be hardcore moto gear. I think of them as 1970s college kid kit, maybe tooling-around-on-a-Kawasaki attire. The proud crowd doesn't much mess with them. But all I have owned have been comfortable and stylish.

The Brando is only a cliché because it's a Frye. Otherwise, it's an engineer boot. I'll say this for it: they keep running out of stock almost everywhere they're sold. Maybe it's because they call it gaucho instead of brown. Then again, maybe there's a market for them nobody else wants to meet...

marineabilly

A-List Customer
univibe88 said:
Could someone post a pic of the sole of some Chippewa 27899s?

Thanks

Here you go, Univibe88:

331813255_o.jpg

331813281_o.jpg

331813308_o.jpg

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Do those Frye boots run big, small, or true to size? I'm debating a mens' pair of engineer boots. I need sturdy, flat, work boots that won't fall apart. I should be about a 7 I think.

Also will I just look heinous? I could look for flat girls' boots but so many of them seem light and shoddy, even when expensive! :rage:

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
The Frye "Brandos" run big. I usually wear a 10D, but in those I wear a 9.5 (with room for a padded insole if I don't wear thick boot socks).

Viola said:
Do those Frye boots run big, small, or true to size? I'm debating a mens' pair of engineer boots. I need sturdy, flat, work boots that won't fall apart. I should be about a 7 I think.

Also will I just look heinous? I could look for flat girls' boots but so many of them seem light and shoddy, even when expensive! :rage:

South

One of the Regulars
What is the difference in the Red Wing 968 and the 2268? Are they as well made as the 2268s? Are the soles non-marking?

Red Wing 968 (although I don't care for the large medallion on the sides)
3832-293689-d.jpg

Lots of great info in this thread...

South

One of the Regulars
GriffDeLaGriff said:
I understand that it could be a problem with the soles if one works in construction or something where you walk around inside peoples homes and so with shoes on.

But for me I dont see any problem. I never walk around inside with my boots ever. As soon as I come home I take them off inside the door, and that goes when coming to friends houses as well.

I change shoes at work so ill just be using them outside.

Is there something I missed?

I'm one that doesn't like marking soles. I have a couple pairs of Frye's that mark like crazy. I put them on in my house and feel like I have to walk on eggshells on the way to the door.

South

One of the Regulars
marineabilly said:
In my opinion, Lone Wolf's are DEFINITELY worth it. Consider this. Red Wing 2268's can be had for around $200, give or take. They have marking soles, so you'll want to have them changed out. What better to have them replaced with than #705 soles. Better yet... how about double Cat's Paw soles. To have it done right, you'd have to send them to Hukurokuju to make them look like this. This will set you back over $300.00. That's well over what a pair of Lone Wolf's would cost you. You get the best of all worlds.

Are these available in the US?

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
We Americans are about marketing. You can't market a classic: no one can take credit for it, and no one can come out with something 6 months from now that makes it obsolete. It's not business as usual; it doesn't pay.

Once upon a time you could keep selling a good product year after year, but that stopped working. So we've retooled. We have to do things differently now.

sasquatch

New in Town
My 2 cents worth, Red Wings suck. I have owned three pairs over the years, 1st pair fell apart after just a few days(had a reaction to sea water), 2nd swelled in size equal to a clown shoe(hydrochloric acid shower- long story), and 3rd was just flat out uncomfortable. I work with guys who swear by them, have had them for decades. They just haven't worked for me.

Double H, on the other hand, have worked quite well. I wear the square steel toe now and except for the heel wearing a bit they have been very good work boots.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sirteen