Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Environment Locale and Hat Style Choice

KatintheHat

Suspended
I live at a point where I can look west and see the Great Plains (formerly known as the Great American Desert). I look east and see the rolling Tall Grass Prairie.

Is it any wonder that I lean toward Cowboy styling? It doesn't matter how hard I try to avoid it... it always comes back to it.

I see a lot of Texas boys 'round here. Might be why that Thin Ribbon has taken off so popular. At least I try to mix up ribbon widths.

I need to branch out. I have a hat or two that does that but, I never wear them. Instead, all my hats look the same, in different colors.

Cowboy colors. :D Cowboy Stylin

Dewhurst

Practically Family

I think branching out and wearing styles you wouldn't normally consider can be great fun.

Maybe you could even wear something that is atypical, and increase your uniqueness in the direct surroundings. Of course, you may not be looking for conspicousness. [huh]

MisterGrey

Practically Family
I've actually been doing a lot of thinking on this lately. Right now my style is definitely unique, but, I also have the privilege of living someplace where nice head gear is not a thing of the past; it is not at all uncommon to see some very nice and well cared-for Stetsons on the heads of men on Sunday afternoons, coupled with a traditional suit (that is, not a western suit). So I've been considering perhaps looking into that.

A big environmental factor for me is the material, though. Style be damned, I cannot wear a wool hat in Texas in the middle of Summer without feeling like I'm baking in my own skin. I love the way a wool hat looks, but for me, straw is a necessity most of the year.

Dewhurst

Practically Family
MisterGrey said:
Style be damned, I cannot wear a wool hat in Texas in the middle of Summer without feeling like I'm baking in my own skin. I love the way a wool hat looks, but for me, straw is a necessity most of the year.

Ah. I also live in the south, and heat is certainly an issue for any felt hat for a decent portion of the year. I can comfortably wear fur felt hats once it gets down to 70-ish and below. I wear a lot of caps along with straw hats during the spring and summer.

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have been a strict western-only hat wearer for my whole life until about two years ago. I decided it would be OK to branch out and experiment a little and since I am very near Hatco in Garland, I have naturally gravitated toward the styles made there. I have several modern Stetson fedoras which I think are sharp looking and well-made, though many folks here will differ vehemently about the quality of modern Stetsons, I've had none of the problems others have reported. I also picked up an English Moore bowler in an antique shop, bought a Selentino homburg, and found a vintage Resistol Whippet clone recently. (I'm posting pictures of it today on the "what are you wearing today" thread.) I wear them all except the bowler (my wife is English and says I cannot wear it out unless I am a British banker and carry a silver handled black umbrella...sigh) I have had a life-long interest in the different hat styles of earlier times, particularly the proclivity for the homburg and fedora styles of the thirties and forties. Winston Churchill has always been one of my political heroes and his hats and cigars are embedded in my head as a guide. I have found that branching out and challenging my comfort zone has been fun and interesting. This forum has greatly increased my knowledge and fed my interest in hats and hat-wearing.

Trying a change in styles has been good; I recommend it!

P.S. - When I turned 50 a couple years ago I also realized I didn't care what other folks thought and that has also been a factor, I'm sure.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
It is partly a matter of locale.

Here in downstate NY, anything resembling a western hat is just too much and feels entirely out of place. I can wear my fedoras pretty much anywhere, but a big hat (like my Akubra Cattleman) just won't fly in these parts. So I only use it for yard work, hiking and such.

Around here, anything other than a ballcap is essentially eccentric headgear, but city styles are still way less eccentric than country styles.

I'm in my 50s too, and I long since stopped caring what people think: I've always been an eccentric hat guy. But honestly, anything bigger than a 2-3/4 brim just feels too country for me to wear around NYC or suburban Westchester.

North GA but in horse business...

I've lived in GA all my life, South Central to start then northern Metro Atlanta for last 21 years. I've been involved in quarter horse business, showing & breeding, so I have lots of western hats. I grew up around Hawkinsville where they train trotters so my early influence was OR styles as seen in racing movies & photos. When I wear the western hats around here, everybody ask if I'm from Texas. The OR usually gets the Indiaina Jones comment. I hunt in an Akubra Riverina, dove & deer... gtd

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PerryShaw