Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Erich Hartmann" Jacket

SpykiE

New in Town
I have been looking over the "Hartmann" jacket listed on the Eastman Leather site, however, it is about $730 which I feel is a little over-priced. I didn't even pay that for my B3 Jacket I ordered from US Authentic. However, the jacket looks really nice and of high quality. I've been torn between either buying that jacket or the "Barnstormer" listed on the US Authentic site (flightjacket.com) as I like them both. But that's neither here nor there, the question I want to ask is, does anyone know of any other place online that sells a reproduction of the "hartmann" jacket and that is fairly reasonable in their pricing?

The good part I guess of ordering from Eastman is that they have their US factory stationed in Cherry Hill, NJ and I only live about 35-40 minutes away. But they're still way too damn overpriced in my opinion....does anyone on here happen to own their own "Hartmann" jacket? Just a curious guy....

Brad

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
I like the Hartmann jacket too. They pop up occaisionally on eBay...
They are a nice vintage jacket and actually a French civilian jacket style adopted by Luftwaffe fighter pilots in occupied territories, namel France in this case. They are often referred to as a "cyclist's jacket".
I've seen Eastman's Hartmann jacket in the flesh and it is a great jacket

Eastman don't have a factory in the US, it's just HPA, the US agent.
You need to remember that a "good" leather jacket is expensive, Eastman, Aero and The Real McCoys, who make very good replica flight jackets are more expensive than US Authentic and other manufacturers and are actually made from much better materials and also much more faithful to the original.
Around $US700 is what you pay for an authentically styled and produced WW2 flight jacket. A good one will always cost you. There are "Hartmann-esque" jackets available but when you see them, you'll realise why they're so much cheaper. It's amazing how people prioritise the value of their purchases- I've been reading posts on the forum of the US based Luftwaffe Reenactor society and those guys are happy to spend many, many hundreds of dollars on high quality German made repro uniforms but they don't seem to put a very high price on a good quality leather flight jacket- shame if their impression is that of a fighter pilot. There is a cheap Hartmann "style" jacket here:

http://www.totls.com/LEATHER_JACKETS_THE_THIRD_REICH.htm

....and another here

http://www.wephaus.com/products.asp?cat=31&pg=2

...but as you can see, they're of very inferior quality and styling.

Good luck,
BT.

SpykiE

New in Town
Thanks for the info Bellytank! I can definitely see in those 2 photos of the "hartmann style" jacket that they are way inferior to the Eastman one. Looks like I better start saving if I want to go with the best! I just purchased a B3 jacket from US Authentic for about $7 and it was worth every penny. I am extremely happy with it and the quality is just amazing. I would definitely spend that amount of money again on another authentic, quality jacket! My delimma now is whether is should save for the "barnstormer" or the "hartmann" first...

Brad

Cienfuegos

New in Town
I possess a Hartman de Eastman, and can make sure to you that it is an impressive jacket. It is usual for me to use her to go in motorcycle and is wonderful, I am charmed with the look that gives.
If ultimately you decide for her you will not repent.
If you indicate me the way of fixing a pic, it might show the jacket.

Saludos :cheers1: :cheers1:

Mycroft

One Too Many
Good luck finding your jacket at the right price (not suppose to be sarcastic), and me personally would never buy one, simply becuase they involve natzis (I don't even care to capitalize them). But dont let me dicurrage you.

SpykiE

New in Town
I think for the spring time I will be purchasing a Hartmann jacket through Eastman Leather as it looks to be an amazing quality jacket and surely worth the price! Btw, I would like to see a pic or two of the Hartmann Jacket if you could, Cienfuegos. If you could post it that would be great!

Brad

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
...Mycroft

The Nazi angle is your choice Mycroft. This style is a classic, European leather jacket style from the '30s and nobody else makes it. I wouldn't be buying one for the Nazi associations- that's what leather trenchcoats are for.
BT.

Cienfuegos

New in Town
This jacket is not a jacket Nazi. In the 30s they were obtained in shops of France were vulgarly cyclists' calls. The pilots of the Luftwaffe used these jackets due to his tear, which was turning out to be very practical for the limited space of the cabin.
I particularly, apart from the fact that me quste the style and the tear of the jacket, I find her very practical and comfortable to go in motorcycle.
Not because you take a style of clothes you have to share idiologias.

Brad will send to him the pic for mail I hope you can fix it.

Sludos ;)

Flitcraft

One Too Many
The 'Eric Hartmann' is a great jacket. The original design is a French motorcyclists' jacket. The Luftwaffe issued its aviators a cloth jacket, but the leather ones were private purchase items and were tolerated by the upper ranks because of the esprit de corps they instilled in young fliers.

Hartmann was stationed in France at the beginning of the war and probably purchased his jacket in a French haberdasher's.

No defense of Nazi-ism, but the Eastman jacket is a very good representation of the kind of motorcycle/aviator jacket available on the European Continent from about the 1920's on.

MikeyB17

One of the Regulars
I seem to have said this here several times, so apologies for banging on about this, but another angle you may like to try is to take a look at Aero's sale page-they don't do a 'Hartmann' style as such, but there are always Aero Barnstormers in various hides (I believe it's one of their most popular jackets). They often have them in steer or lighter weight horse, way cheaper than their full price jackets, but probably far better quality than some of the others you're looking at. I aim to pick one up from there at some stage-they had some quite nice ones for about £160 not long ago. Good luck!

http://www.aeroleather.com

SpykiE

New in Town
Yeah, i pretty much scour through Aero Leather's used area at least once a week, and they do have some really nice jackets in there for discounted prices. The barnstormers that they sell do look REALLY nice, however, I can't picture myself wearing that, I'm more of WWII aviation junky...I've gotta have the bomber jacket styles. I have been looking for a B6 jacket like Aero has on the auction store (on ebay), however it is not in my size and I never see any on the actual Aero site in the used section. I really like the "Redskin" B6, but I'd settle for just the regular seal brown with russet trim if I had the chance....ah, better yet, just give 'em all to me! That'd be great!

Brad

Oh btw, here is the link for the B6 Jacket I would love to get!

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=6143278&uid=142228

ShanghaiJack

One of the Regulars
Hartmann

Gents,
I own all 3 Eastman Luftwaffe jackets, this includes both the brown and black Eastman Hartmann. These are unequalled in quality and authenticity. Expensive???... maybe... but not when you consider that the jacket will outlive you. And remember in 5 years they'll be $950.oo, and not 2005 dollars either! [inflation and all] My opinion of the Hartmann is that it is a "flying shirt". It fits trimmly and snuggly against the body. It is meant to be worn over a thin dress shirt or "T-shirt". Definately NOT a bulky "sweater" jacket, nor were they intended to be. But you could order an oversized version if that's your desire, but it would ruin the original and elegant trim look of the jacket. [my humble yet educated opinion] he he he. I wear the brown one mostly, and it has aged and worn beautifully. No Regrets!
Tails Up!
ShanghaiJack

Cienfuegos

New in Town
I got one, it's black. Principally I choose this color because I had an A2 and Raiders Jacket in brown. Also I liked the contrast that was taking place between the zippers and the color of the jacket. I agree with you, if your size is 42, get 42, it does not go away to a more free attack, because in effect it would ruin the look of the jacket
I'd like to see some pic of yuor brown Hartmann. ;)

Saludos

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
The fit issue is the same with American flight jackets- an oversized A-2 replica, no matter how good it is still looks like a Mall-jacket if it's hanging off you.
And the term flying-shirt is true ShanghaiJack, espaecially with the A-2, it's cut and constructed like a shirt, not like a jacket or coat, so it suits a slim fitting.
Back in the day, these kind of jackets, the sportswear jacket were worn snug- that look- high waisted trousers and a short snug leather jacket and a hat is just so vintage and the epitome of style. Aman on a mission.
Like Alan Ladd in the movie China, in my avatar and like Cagney in White heat.

BT.

SpykiE

New in Town
I am pretty positive I will be purchasing the Hartmann jacket in brown come spring/summer time. It is a gorgeous jacket from the pics that I've seen, and can't help but not buy it....and whoever said the jacket will outlive you, you hit that right on the head and it's true....at least that's how you can justify the amount (but i'm more than sure once you do have that jacket, there are no regrets), even if it is $700 + dollars. Another way of justifying it would be something like, jee, do I want to spend that same amount on crappy made jackets over the next several years, or do I just want to "invest" in a really top grade jacket that will outlast every one of those other jackets and maybe even myself down the road. ;) It's smart thinkin to me! Anyways, I would love to see some pics of the brown Hartmann jacket if you could, Shanghai Jack.

Brad

SpykiE

New in Town
Hey Bellytank! I just want to say, great pics of the jacket! You can really see all the little details and even the quality of the leather in all its glory. Thanks very much for the pics, I bookmarked that album in order to go back to it for reference should the need arise! Thanks!

Brad

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy