Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Excellent Book

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I picked up a copy of "Sunkissed: Sunwear and the Hollywood Beauty 1930-1950" and really enjoyed it.

The book covers swimwear and sun fashions popular during the 1930s-40s, and houses a wonderful collection of vintage photographs (from the biggest stars to the budding starlets.)

Overall, I was very impressed and found it to be a useful fashion resource. Check it out here:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...69/sr=2-1/ref=pd_ka_b_2_1/002-4260631-6500848

And here is a taste of what's inside:
sun2.jpg

sun3.jpg

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Nope, I didn’t realize that! (Blonde moment, I suppose ;) ) I only recently found out about the book through the German site, www.return2style.de, and thought it looked like good stuff.

I did a search for the book to see if anyone had posted previously, and nothing really turned up. I liked the book and the author, so I thought I would give it another plug! It’s one of the better resources I have found, and it’s looking good on my coffee table as we speak! Since we have a couple of new gals in the Powder Room, I thought they would enjoy it. When I first got into vintage, I didn't know where to start--and I wasn't so lucky to find a place like the Lounge to hang out!

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
His website is www.thatfortiesguy.com.

He's got a couple of other books in the works, which I think will be equally enjoyable.

I wish more vintage folks lived in Arizona, or that I lived in a more retro place. I hardly ever meet anyone with similar interests, which is why I enjoy hanging out here (it’s always nice to know I am not alone!) Perhaps the next time I in California I'll be able to make it to gathering myself!

JenLyn

New in Town
Was Josh ever featured on a show called "The Incurable Collector"? I caught an episode one time and there was a guy on there who was an avid collector of 40's memorabilia - had outfits, cars, furnishings, money, etc. His collection was incredible. I don't remember the guy's name, but it sounds like Josh. Same guy?

I'll try finding the show and checking out old eps.

MissTayva

jitterbugdoll said:
I wish more vintage folks lived in Arizona, or that I lived in a more retro place. I hardly ever meet anyone with similar interests, which is why I enjoy hanging out here (it’s always nice to know I am not alone!) Perhaps the next time I in California I'll be able to make it to gathering myself!

Agreed! I guess that's why I usually find the company of old folks. A lot of my older pals actually still collect vintage clothing/wares! Everyone we have met out here (our age) that is into vintage clothing usually likes that polyester '70s rubbish... haha. Or, if they are into the same eras as us, they try to make it into some sort of jealousy/competition thing! Blah...

If we don't move to Palm Springs, then we are going to look around the Bethany Home/12 Street area of Phoenix (my ol' man works in that area anyway). There are a lot of Haver/Eichler homes that are to die for! That's pretty much the only area that seems to be teeming with older homes. My home is immaculately decorated in 1950s wares, all that's lacking is the era-appropriate home itself (and a place that I can actually have walls colored something other than white!). So I am hoping to move soon!

MissTayva

I got a little overzealous with posting, haha...

This is a GREAT book, if you are into '50s clothing:

It basically has the 'cream of the crop' in it. Fabulous Fifties: Designs For Modern Living. Plenty of drool-worthy items in there!

It's a bit pricey, but I found it to be cheapest from Amazon. People go nuts bidding on that book on eBay.

Jitterbugdoll, that book looks great! I thumbed through it the last time I was in L.A., but the store we were in had so many great books, I was overwhelmed (and in turn came out empty handed!) :)

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Yes, I have the Sunkissed book. I got a new copy at Half Price Books for about $10. Great book. I'd made a post within another topic back before Christmas but I can't find it anymore..

fuzzylizzie

One of the Regulars
I'm a real book junkie, and I just ordered this one. Thanks for the recommendation! Especially since vintage bathing suits are one of my big interests!

Lizzie

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
I JUST found out about this book, and am dying to get it. I, like Lizzie, am a book junkie (after adding two more bookshelves to my room last year I already filled them up and am searching for more solutions). And fashion books are invaluable resources. Once they're gone, that's it! An excuse to buy more books, I suppose ;)

I went to visit my best friend a few times in Yuma and there was NOTHING vintage. Even the thrift stores were full of mostly 80's junk. With all the snowbirds I thought I'd at least find something...

decodoll

Practically Family
I finally got this book about a month ago, and it is gorgeous! I can't wait for his others to be released. I also have a bit of a book addiction, as you can tell if you've seen my photo in the vintage pics thread! :)

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Lauren Henline said:
I JUST found out about this book, and am dying to get it. I, like Lizzie, am a book junkie (after adding two more bookshelves to my room last year I already filled them up and am searching for more solutions). And fashion books are invaluable resources..
Lauren, if you can't find Sunkissed come November, let me know and I can see if I can find another copy here at Half Price Books and bring it out to the QM with me for you. I think it was about $10-$12.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner