Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Exploring the Uncharted Territory of Crocodile Leather Jackets

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
Thank you all for your honest replies. I know my example is exaggerated but the question remains: why do I read so little about reptile leather. It seems horse still is number one for most. Is it a price question? Or just taste?
Probably both. Plus this is primarily a vintage style forum, and while we talk about leather jackets a lot, reptile leather isn't exactly classic golden era fashion.

red devil

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hey fellow leather enthusiasts!

I've been a huge fan of classic leather jackets from brands like Aero, Schott, and Vanson for as long as I can remember. I've practically become a connoisseur of hides, but lately, I've been itching to dive into the world of crocodile leather.

I've noticed that while there's a lot of chatter about horse leather jackets, the conversation around crocodile leather seems to be a bit hushed. Has anyone else considered investing in a crocodile leather jacket? I've got my eyes on one that's in a similar style to the iconic jackets I already love.

Before taking the plunge, I'd love to hear from anyone who has experience with crocodile leather. How does it compare in terms of durability, properties, and overall wear? Are there specific things to consider when caring for crocodile leather?

Attached is an image of the jacket I'm eyeing. What are your thoughts?

This example you posted looks like a jacket I saw in one of the Tanaka books by a maker in California. Is this specific one a second hand jacket?

Are you planning to get crocodile jacket made or buying something ready made or second hand? Are you looking for Alligator or a type of crocodile? If so which type?

For jackets I just feel like the scales are a bit much. TBH the only person I’ve seen pull off a reptile hide jacket is Nic Cage in Wild at Heart.

View attachment 565681

He got inspired by Marlon Brando who pulled it off much better than him

the-fugitive-kind-1960.jpg

A bit more subtle and I would wear it. I do prefer reptile hides on smaller items though. A sharkskin, even stingray, jacket would be more interesting to me. @red devil

Thanks for bringing this thread to my attention @JMax

Shark is great!

As you may know I have a sting ray jacket in the works, but it will be combined with another leather, as the sting ray skins are too small to make a good looking jacket in size 42. It will be some time before it is ready :)

Edit: typos

Stormlord

New in Town
Wow, sting ray jacket, sounds cool.
Is not that I am planning to buy a croco jacket right now. I was just wondering why I read so little about it, but mostly horse house.
As stated above from Guppy that's because of the given era, okay understood.

So what I like are armor like jackets. Don't know why, but I am attracted to the heavy stuff. I have a cheap German leather jacket which is made cheap in terms of details and Craftmanship. But I really love this 4.5kg jacket, with at least 4mm leather. never saw something like this, reminds me of Batman ;)
The company is nearly unknown.
Whoever sees that jacket, it's an eye catcher. But that's not the reason I bought it. It should be Durable and it can take a beating.
When something scratches, I don't care. I like function and when function is seen also in the design.

Regarding croco, I thought it's durable but also heard about cangaroo (which is thin)

red devil

Wow, sting ray jacket, sounds cool.
Is not that I am planning to buy a croco jacket right now. I was just wondering why I read so little about it, but mostly horse house.
As stated above from Guppy that's because of the given era, okay understood.

So what I like are armor like jackets. Don't know why, but I am attracted to the heavy stuff. I have a cheap German leather jacket which is made cheap in terms of details and Craftmanship. But I really love this 4.5kg jacket, with at least 4mm leather. never saw something like this, reminds me of Batman ;)
The company is nearly unknown.
Whoever sees that jacket, it's an eye catcher. But that's not the reason I bought it. It should be Durable and it can take a beating.
When something scratches, I don't care. I like function and when function is seen also in the design.

Regarding croco, I thought it's durable but also heard about cangaroo (which is thin)

Think about it this way, when was the last time you saw someone wearing a leather jacket, and then think when was the last time you saw someone wearing a crocodile jacket.
If II were to asnwer these, it would be "yesterday", and "I don't remember how many years ago".

Crocodile jackets are very rare. Crocodile/alligator skins are more prevalent in accessories or shoes, but still not that common. That's one of the reason you won't see many people discussing them.

Can you post a pic of that german jacket?

Crocodile leather - the good quality version - is tough to my knowledge.

Kangaroo has the highest abrasion resistance for its weight, hence why it is used in high end racing suits.

Stormlord

New in Town
That's a good explanation, thank you. Indeed I really can't remember the last time I saw somebody in a croco jacket, just from the internet.

That's my jacket which I use for ATV riding. I misused it a lot - for years. That's a beast, ugly with 6-packs and reminds me of Batman. And it's nearly indestructible
IMG_20231201_223221_206.jpg

Last edited:

red devil

From the pic you posted it doesn't seem like you are wearing armour... does it have inserts for shoulders, elboe and back?

It looks like proper functional kit, it will outlast you :)

Stormlord

New in Town
Yeah, no armor. It's just double, sometimes triple fold leather. I don't need training, this jacket has got six-pack for free ;)
You may attach armor, but when I tried, I looked like hulk.

Hey fellow leather enthusiasts!

I've been a huge fan of classic leather jackets from brands like Aero, Schott, and Vanson for as long as I can remember. I've practically become a connoisseur of hides, but lately, I've been itching to dive into the world of crocodile leather.

I've noticed that while there's a lot of chatter about horse leather jackets, the conversation around crocodile leather seems to be a bit hushed. Has anyone else considered investing in a crocodile leather jacket? I've got my eyes on one that's in a similar style to the iconic jackets I already love.

Before taking the plunge, I'd love to hear from anyone who has experience with crocodile leather. How does it compare in terms of durability, properties, and overall wear? Are there specific things to consider when caring for crocodile leather?

Attached is an image of the jacket I'm eyeing. What are your thoughts?
A few gator jackets we have made over the years. The black gator was made for a motorcyclist with shoulder, elbow and back armour. He also is a gator hunter in Texas.

Attachments

• Custom 52.jpg
    Custom 52.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 88
  • Custom 53.jpg
    Custom 53.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 106
  • Gator Back.jpg
    Gator Back.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 98
  • Gator Front.jpg
    Gator Front.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 93
  • IMG_0915.JPG
    IMG_0915.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 90
  • IMG_0917.JPG
    IMG_0917.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 85

red devil

A few gator jackets we have made over the years. The black gator was made for a motorcyclist with shoulder, elbow and back armour. He also is a gator hunter in Texas.

This is how I would want my crocodile jackets to look like, very cool, a lot of visual presence but also tastefully done! A very delicate balance to achieve.

Benny Holiday

croc.jpg

The biggest croc ever killed in Australia, shot by a Polish lady named Krystina Pawlowski in 1957. SOB looks like it'd give Godzilla a run for his money. Weighed 2 tonnes and was over twenty-eight feet long. The fair lady bagged the monster on the banks of the Norman River in Queensland. You'd get a lot of jackets and boots out of it, but I fear a few people may have worn its hide over the years . . . while being digested in its foul innards.

Damon141

Practically Family
some snake or lizard skin make really nice looking wallet outer shells or trim pieces, but gator is pushing it. Maybe a watch strap.

I’m curious if the 2nd jacket is really alligator or printed leather

red devil

some snake or lizard skin make really nice looking wallet outer shells or trim pieces, but gator is pushing it. Maybe a watch strap.

I’m curious if the 2nd jacket is really alligator or printed leather

Difficult to tell for sure, but it seems genuine.

I have been wearing crocodile shoes quite regularly, if the hides are well cut and matched, it is not jarring to look at.

A jacket is more visible of course, this I have not tried yet

Benny Holiday

Difficult to tell for sure, but it seems genuine.

I have been wearing crocodile shoes quite regularly, if the hides are well cut and matched, it is not jarring to look at.

A jacket is more visible of course, this I have not tried yet
I think the look, jacket-wise, is something really only rock stars/movie stars can pull off. It's rare that anyone else has the natural panache to make it work for them - IMHO. But you, RD, you would make it rock.

red devil

I think the look, jacket-wise, is something really only rock stars/movie stars can pull off. It's rare that anyone else has the natural panache to make it work for them - IMHO. But you, RD, you would make it rock.

Thanks! I do not have rock star panache - wish I did! - But I do intend to find out if I can pull it off. It has been on my mind for years.

Either way it can only be fun :D

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
View attachment 566815

The biggest croc ever killed in Australia, shot by a Polish lady named Krystina Pawlowski in 1957. SOB looks like it'd give Godzilla a run for his money. Weighed 2 tonnes and was over twenty-eight feet long. The fair lady bagged the monster on the banks of the Norman River in Queensland. You'd get a lot of jackets and boots out of it, but I fear a few people may have worn its hide over the years . . . while being digested in its foul innards.
Don't mess with Polish ladies. @JMax.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner