Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Eyebrow question for red heads

Grant Fan

Practically Family
Ok ladies I have an eyebrow issue. My hair is naturally nearly black but even with it that dark my eyebrows though naturally rather wide (if I don't keep them shaped thinly as I do) are very thinly haired. I have to color them in with pencil or powder (I have used just about everything). Anyway lately I haven't been able to find anything that works well it is either much to blond, or to dark, nothing has enough red in it. What do you ladies use? My hair is bright auburn as you can see below.
IMG_0999.jpg

Last edited:

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
My hair is just a bit darker than yours in the same colour family. Personally, I use black for my brows, which are completely see-through and I wax as thin as possible so I can draw them into a new shape.

Have you played around with the Anastasia eyebrow pencils? They have auburn shades, but even the browns have a lot of red in them. This isn't usually a good thing, because most people want ashy shades, but for you it would be perfect :)

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
My hair is naturally a medium auburn, but I do color to cover grays. I use Tarte's "The Toolbox" in medium, which comes with wax, powder & a pencil. I also have a Bourjois brow pencil in "blonde" but really it is more of a light brown. I think light to medium brown will look the most natural.

Grant Fan

Practically Family
C- dot I have used the eyebrow marker and it wasn't red enough but several of her other products look redder so that might be perfect. Looks like a trip to sephora is in order

Fortworthgal I haven't ever seen that brand but I am going to look into it thanks for the recommendation

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
I'm a natural redhead with see-through blonde brows. I use MAC's "Strut" eyebrow pencil. I like bold makeup, though, and love the drawn-on eyebrow look. Much better than my real brows (which are barely there, there's nothing to "fill in", and people don't seem to understand this!!)

Red Diabla

One of the Regulars
My hair is on the lighter side of red, but it's rare that I see redheads with actual red brows and lashes. Not saying that doesn't happen, but it's not important to match eyebrows and lashes to red hair with red.

I have to draw in my naturally blonde eyebrows in with a brown pencil or else I look terminally surprised. Any mid-shade brown works for me!

RD

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
^ ITA Red Diabla, I don't think I've ever seen a natural redhead with matching red brows. If you want it to look natural, I'd go with blonde or light brown.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
^ ITA Red Diabla, I don't think I've ever seen a natural redhead with matching red brows. If you want it to look natural, I'd go with blonde or light brown.

This is correct, but those with flaming red hair, like Grant Fan has got, will want to colour their brows with auburn or brown shades containing some red. Ashy shades won't look right.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Christina Hendricks' hair is pretty bright (I know it isn't natural, but darnit I'm still using her as my example), and her brows look to be a light brown. IMHO you can't go wrong with a light brown pencil - it seems most of the ones I pick seem to have a reddish tone to them anyway. My brows aren't true ashy brown, they do have a definite reddish hint to them, so I agree about not wanting something taupe or ashy. I know Makeup For Ever has a nice light reddish brown pencil... I'd just try a big cosmetic shop like Sephora or Ulta and see if you can find something in the right shade range.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Christina Hendricks' hair is pretty bright (I know it isn't natural, but darnit I'm still using her as my example), and her brows look to be a light brown.

The fact that it isn't natural, to my mind, makes her a better example. It's done so well that nobody would suspect!

Her brows are actually a pretty good match. She uses a warm brown (not ashy!) a few hues darker than her hair. Perfect balance! :)

ChristinaHendricks3.jpg

Grant Fan

Practically Family
The fact that it isn't natural, to my mind, makes her a better example. It's done so well that nobody would suspect!

Her brows are actually a pretty good match. She uses a warm brown (not ashy!) a few hues darker than her hair. Perfect balance! :)

ChristinaHendricks3.jpg
I agree her hair is bright but it is much blonder/oranger than mine. Mine is that bright red that looks more like flames than anything else. I can't wear red because I look too monochromatic, but I can wear orange. If that helps explain

Grant Fan

Practically Family
Totally off-topic here - I love my freckles, but some days it sure would be fun to have perfectly airbrushed clear alabaster skin like that! ^

Us bottled red heads have that benefit, frequently we are just pale brunets and don't have freckles unless we sun.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I still think a reddish light-medium brown would work well. I'm thinking something like Make Up For Ever's brown #3: http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P99801

This is me - granted, I did color my hair last week, but this is only about 1/2 shade darker than my natural color. Apologies for the crummy "cell phone in bathroom" pic, but you can see my brows are basically a light brown. Actually they are pretty close in color to Christina's.

2qxxir6.jpg

Last edited:

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
I agree her hair is bright but it is much blonder/oranger than mine. Mine is that bright red that looks more like flames than anything else. I can't wear red because I look too monochromatic, but I can wear orange. If that helps explain

No no, I was only showing that she used a brown with matching deeper hues from her hair colour. If you could find a brown with auburn hues, it would look perfect.

Grant Fan

Practically Family
C Dot I agree now to find the perfect shade I have so many unused ashy colors that when my mom comes to visit me (she is a natural blond but thinking about going light red she will soon know my struggle) she takes one or two for herself.

Claireg

One of the Regulars
I am a natural redhead ( who now has to dye unfortunaltely) and I swear by besame eyebrow pencil. It comes as one pencil with two shades in it - Taupe and Grey. I find Taupe is a perfect colour to match my eyebrows, however it isnt red'y.

zombi

A-List Customer
I'm a redhead and I love those Anastasia pencils C-dot mentioned. I have one and I also have the brow powder, which I use every day and love more than anything.

RockyHorror

One of the Regulars
I actually like NYX brow powders, and theres a really lovely warm brown shade i think would work well for someone with auburn hair. It's cheap too! Just sometimes not the easiest to come across.

ginfizz

One of the Regulars
My hair used to be a dark red reallly similar to yours. I used to use smashbox brow tech to go pretty frequently. They sell it at sephora so you can go and give it a little test if you want. I like it because unlike a pencil if you're in a rush it's pretty hard to mess up. I feel like when I try to rush with my pencil I mess everything up lol.

http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P260311

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner