Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Eyeglasses help needed

SGT Rocket

Practically Family
Hello All,

It looks like its time for some new eyeglasses. I'm thinking about getting either tortoise shell frames or black frames.

I was thinking of black. But a guy at the eyeglass shop thought with my coloring I would look better with tortoise shell. I currently have black and silver frames (modern looking ones).

I was looking at some frames from Rayban called I think, the RX 5154. I think they are similar to the Rayban Clubmaster, but not sunglasses.

Here is an example in Tortoise, the metal parts on it are gold:
RayBan-5154-eyeglasses-2372.jpg

Here is an example of the black, the metal parts on is are silver:
RayBan-5154-eyeglasses-2000.jpg

I also like Shurons, but I'm a little afraid to order glasses off the internet because they may not fit my face.
RONSIR-ZYL.jpg

Ok, so what do I look like? I'm tall a little chubby and have blond hair and blue eyes. Also, I'm a little bald on top. Here are some pictures from my Facebook:

Here is me the first day I got back from Iraq, with my little daughter. She just climbed up on the sofa and laid in my arms.
25451_101532329882802_100000781072479_37576_7177183_n.jpg

A better picture of me with my son and daughter. I don't really have a double chin, it's the way I'm laying on the sofa:
25451_101532653216103_100000781072479_37589_8137729_n.jpg

This is a good face shot. It was me trying to figure out how to use my new digital camera before going to Iraq.
15729_101368693232499_100000781072479_32808_5407995_n.jpg

Me about three years ago, before I joined the Natl Guard. You can kind of see my hair color here better because of the goatee. It was taken after running with one of my doggies (Mustang)
31206_113006395402062_100000781072479_77971_3499771_n.jpg

Ok, those are probably the best photos I can come up with unless I load up some more.

So, what do you guys think? BTW, are there any shops that actually sell the Shurons? Are or they just on the internet?

thanks in advance you guys!
SlyG1

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
I don’t know about coloring, etcetera, but despite my general preference for earth tones, in eyewear, I tend to lean toward black instead of tortoise. I just feel it’s more versatile.

6bea6572.jpg

I’m eager to see how the browline frames look on you, as we have a similar coloring and face shape (it doesn’t show in the above picture because I’m not smiling). I tend to avoid round frames, as they emphasize the roundess of my face, but the browline style may have just enough angle to overcome that.

-Dave

Puzzicato

One Too Many
I have fairly light colouring too, and as much as I love black in clothing and accessories, in my glasses I find it is too stark. Tortoiseshell is much more flattering. After all, you want to wear the glasses, you don't want them to wear you.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Puzzicato said:
I have fairly light colouring too, and as much as I love black in clothing and accessories, in my glasses I find it is too stark. Tortoiseshell is much more flattering. After all, you want to wear the glasses, you don't want them to wear you.

See, I disagree. A secondary reason I avoid tortoise is that I feel the frames wash out against my skin, like they’re hiding. I dislike most wire frames and frameless glasses for the same reason.

I think a darker complected person wears tortoise frames better.

-Dave

Edward

Bartender
I'm a Shuron Ronsir wearer. I first got into the browline style for sunglasses (when wearing contact lenses) as when wearing with a suit it looks somehow more refined; I've never especially cared for the aviator style, and much as I do like Wayfarers, with a suit and a fedora it can all look rather like one is attempting to ape Jake and Elwood.... Another bonus is that they look less 'heavy' on the face than a full surround. I do have a black and silver pair, which work fine on me, though I think an all-plastic black pair would be too much.

I have four pairs of Ronsir frames - black and gold, tortoise and gold, black and silver, cordovan and silver - though only the latter two have been lensed up so far. I bought the frames direct from Shuron at a substantial saving on buying them in the UK. I emailed them and dealt with a guy called tony Rivers - extremely helpful. I was mailed five pairs of frames in different sizings to try, charged only for one - kept the one that worked, sent the rest back ,and then bought the other three. Superb service, faultless. They also have a full lab onsite, so if you know your prescription they can do that too.

Only have photos of me in the cordovan and black and silver pairs so far:

Uploaded22April2010006.jpg
Uploaded22April2010007.jpg
EditedShot-1.jpg

CopyofUploaded22April2010016.jpg
IMGP3457.jpg
FedoraLoungeUnofficialGatheringM-9.jpg

Not sure if you can see from this photo, but the gold soon dulls:

IMGP3458.jpg

When I discovered this style and realised that it was one I was so happy with (I now only wear contacts for costume purposes, never simply on a night out), I wanted several pairs in different colours. The black and silver pair are untinted - I generally have photochromic lenses in all my glasses, but ike to have a completely untinted pair for evening / after dark wear. The black frames very definitely look more "severe" and are more pronounced against my face than the lighter hued options. I think if I was only going to have one pair, I'd go with the cordovan or tortoise, but really it's all down to personal preference and what you feel looks good on you for the effect you want. I will say that if you're shooting for a period look (anything from 47 on to about 1970....) these will really kick it up a notch as compared to something more modern.

Lily Powers

Practically Family
Welcome home, soldier!

There are so many gradations in frame colors, that you don't have to limit yourself to either tortoise or black only. These frames are a dark green tortoise, with subtle golden browns in the green. The bottom of the frames are a gray/green metal and the nose piece is a dark green metal that matches the plastic. This same style also comes in a more traditional brown tortoise and black.

Take the family out and go try on some frames, see if the frames you like are suitable for your specific prescription. It's worth the time before you commit to buying a pair and it's fun!

AGAIN4141.jpeg

SGT Rocket

Practically Family
David Conwill said:
I don’t know about coloring, etcetera, but despite my general preference for earth tones, in eyewear, I tend to lean toward black instead of tortoise. I just feel it’s more versatile.

6bea6572.jpg

I’m eager to see how the browline frames look on you, as we have a similar coloring and face shape (it doesn’t show in the above picture because I’m not smiling). I tend to avoid round frames, as they emphasize the roundess of my face, but the browline style may have just enough angle to overcome that.

-Dave

You know I never considered that I have a round face. But now that you mention it, I do! Wow. I guess I'm not too perceptive of myself.

SGT Rocket

Practically Family
Edward said:
I'm a Shuron Ronsir wearer. I first got into the browline style for sunglasses (when wearing contact lenses) as when wearing with a suit it looks somehow more refined; I've never especially cared for the aviator style, and much as I do like Wayfarers, with a suit and a fedora it can all look rather like one is attempting to ape Jake and Elwood.... Another bonus is that they look less 'heavy' on the face than a full surround. I do have a black and silver pair, which work fine on me, though I think an all-plastic black pair would be too much.

I have four pairs of Ronsir frames - black and gold, tortoise and gold, black and silver, cordovan and silver - though only the latter two have been lensed up so far. I bought the frames direct from Shuron at a substantial saving on buying them in the UK. I emailed them and dealt with a guy called tony Rivers - extremely helpful. I was mailed five pairs of frames in different sizings to try, charged only for one - kept the one that worked, sent the rest back ,and then bought the other three. Superb service, faultless. They also have a full lab onsite, so if you know your prescription they can do that too.

Only have photos of me in the cordovan and black and silver pairs so far:

Uploaded22April2010006.jpg
Uploaded22April2010007.jpg
EditedShot-1.jpg

CopyofUploaded22April2010016.jpg
IMGP3457.jpg
FedoraLoungeUnofficialGatheringM-9.jpg

Not sure if you can see from this photo, but the gold soon dulls:

IMGP3458.jpg

When I discovered this style and realised that it was one I was so happy with (I now only wear contacts for costume purposes, never simply on a night out), I wanted several pairs in different colours. The black and silver pair are untinted - I generally have photochromic lenses in all my glasses, but ike to have a completely untinted pair for evening / after dark wear. The black frames very definitely look more "severe" and are more pronounced against my face than the lighter hued options. I think if I was only going to have one pair, I'd go with the cordovan or tortoise, but really it's all down to personal preference and what you feel looks good on you for the effect you want. I will say that if you're shooting for a period look (anything from 47 on to about 1970....) these will really kick it up a notch as compared to something more modern.

Wow, you really look good in those glasses (and hat and clothes). I think our face shape is similar too. We do have similar hair cuts as well. ;)

I must say, you make purchasing from Shuron direct a mighty tempting thing. And, yep, that is the period I'm trying to go for in these glasses!

Thanks!

Puzzicato

One Too Many
David Conwill said:
See, I disagree. A secondary reason I avoid tortoise is that I feel the frames wash out against my skin, like they’re hiding. I dislike most wire frames and frameless glasses for the same reason.

I think a darker complected person wears tortoise frames better.

-Dave

I agree about the frameless glasses. I had a pair for a few years, but I felt that my eyes just disappeared behind them. They did nothing for my face.

MisterGrey

Practically Family
IMO, gold/tortoise is the combination for you. Silver on a lighter complexion tends to make an individual look washed out and haggard at best, and creepy and brooding at worst. As a pale complected individual myself, I know all too well the stigma one can generate for oneself wearing silver eyeglass frames. Gold frames, on the other hand, make the pale face seem warm and, IMO, appear dignified. So for the bottom of the frame, gold is a definite.

Now, as to the top part, this is where a matter of taste and opinion comes into play. IMO tortoise is the shade of choice for pale skin-- like brown, it lends warmth to the face. Black is a very stark contrast and accentuates the paleness of the skin. Perhaps, with the gold, it could balance out, but I myself would go for the tortoise. As I said though, that's more of a matter of your personal taste and opinion. As for the wire part of the frames, though, I'd say gold is the only way to go.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
THis seems like a likely thread to ask for eyeglass frame help from this community.

Ok the next set of frames I'm on the lookout for are similar to what Billy Connolly is wearing here.
BillyConnolly.jpg

Billy_Connolly_1351317c.jpg

art.billy.connolly.jpg

There is a company in the UK that makes these below, but they are $239.
41UtiC-aDaL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The look perfect but are too rich for my beer pocket book. So in your travels if any of you happen across something similar that doesn't have that steep of a price tag please post it here so I can take a peek. Thanks gang, most appreciated!

Cheers!

Dan

Mr Badger

Practically Family
We just got back from a holiday to NYC / Brooklyn and can't recommend Classic Specs in Williamsburg highly enough – an excellent choice of vintage-style frames with 'sunglass' or prescription lenses with anti-reflective coating for only $89 a pair and free US shipping... the reason I'm bringing this up is that they do a free service (including return shipping!) where you can pick six different types of frames to try on and they'll send you 'em fer nowt... we were very impressed with the service & quality...

I got a pair of their very '40s Beaumonts for non-prescription sunglasses. My wife bagged a pair of prescription glasses and a pair of prescription sunnies!

Here are the Beaumonts:

Brandy_Tortoise112_large.jpg

And for sunglasses (ordinary or prescription) you get a choice of four lense colours:

beaumont-sunglassesweb-black.jpg

Last edited:

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
We just got back from a holiday to NYC / Brooklyn and can't recommend Classic Specs in Williamsburg highly enough – an excellent choice of vintage-style frames with 'sunglass' or prescription lenses with anti-reflective coating for only $89 a pair and free US shipping... the reason I'm bringing this up is that they do a free service (including return shipping!) where you can pick six different types of frames to try on and they'll send you 'em fer nowt... we were very impressed with the service & quality...

I got a pair of their very '40s Beaumonts for non-prescription sunglasses. My wife bagged a pair of prescription glasses and a pair of prescription sunnies!

Thank you for that link. Not totally what I was looking for but there are some other frames there that do pique my interest.

Cheers!

Dan

AEH

One of the Regulars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner