Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"factory error"? or is this normal.

chum

Familiar Face
My fedora looks fine on the outside "where it counts", but I noticed the little bow on the rear of the sweatband is not in the exact rear of the hat. The hat size sticker(53) IS. Is this common or did I possibly get a "factory second"?

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It may well be an "error' and in fact a "second". But "where the hat hits the head" (to coin a term!), does the outside look of the hat meet your needs?

I have an old Dorf-Pac 'Indy' hat which I still wear today even though the cheap lining/band came out years ago. I've never found anyone making comment on my hat interior when it looks so good on my exterior.

If the shoe fits, as it were, wear it!

-dixon cannon

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
I don't know about new hats. But it's not that unusual with used vintage hats. If it fits right and looks good I myself wouldn't worry about it. ;)

Sam Craig

One Too Many
proper fit?

The joint and bow in the sweat should always be in the center back to allow the correct stress on the leather, but that usually will only be an issue to you.

The rest of the world need never know!

cybergentleman

A-List Customer
could the hat possibly a tad off center?

look at the hat from the top (birds eye view).
maybe it was worn slightly off center w/o distorting the hat itself

Mario

I'll Lock Up
I have a couple of hats where the seam on the back of the brim binding isn't exactly centered. A little off to the left or to the right. At least the bows on my sweats are all located where they are supposed to be.

suitedcboy

One Too Many
I have several hats that were open crown models that were not factory shaped, mostly westerns but there were open crown or little shaped crown fedoras, where the person doing the bash didn't set it perfectly straight in relation to the sweatband. Probably not a second.

NJIndy

New in Town
I have seen hats a bit off... but no more than an inch tops...
Not common but also not unusual...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy