Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fair Warning about Aero Alpaca Lining ... and any suggestions, please!

MET

A-List Customer
Man a snake thinks everything is food. I discount that as anything of significance and totally irrelevant. If the jacket is itchy that's understandable and whatever. But for the life of me why anyone would keep a pet snake I have no idea. Had one in my driveway last year and and I killed it with a shovel, with extreme prejudice.

There might be a intimate reason keep a pet snake but it would be inappropriate to write this publicly.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
I've a recent custom Aero Barnstormer with a heavy Alpaca lining. I don't find it itchy at all. Of course it's for extreme cold and when I wear it I've sweater's or heavy long sleeve shirts under it. I hope you get it sorted sooner rather than later.

Worf

Big J

Call Me a Cab
I've got no experience with alpaca, but I had a wool sweater once that felt like wearing sandpaper. I have it to the dog to use as a blanket.

The cost of sending this jacket back, getting the lining switched out, and shipping again won't be low. I'd reckon that it might be better to sell it on eBay, take a hit on it, and order a new jacket with a different lining.
I'd be interested to see if the conditioner had any effect on the leather. It may well not have had. Most conditioners use silicon to get that 'silky smooth feel' and Danner use silicon in their Danner Boot Dressing for leather boots.
Maybe ok there.

As for the snake, I'd bite it straight back.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Personally i cant wear Aero's alpaca, its like a scratch bomb!
Just handling a sample was enough to make my eyes and entire body itch, and i have never been allergic to wool.
The only thing that makes me react similarly are long haired cats if rubbed in my face, but the alpaca is much much worst.

I thik you only chance is changing the linning....

homesicksteve

Familiar Face
I've found hair conditioner works better than fabric conditioner in my washing machine....

Some good results using lanolin to 'cure' an itchy wool shirt..

No experience with Alpaca or snakes.....

I had two alpaca lined Aero jackets. One, coat made in the 90's was great, not itchy at all and it was as warm as any shearling. The other one was itchy and lighter and not very warm. It was a much newer coat, mid 2K's or so. Neither would shed, though.

As for the snake, I think the reason it tried to ate you lies in the fact that it is a snake.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
My recommendation: replace the alpaca with snakeskin lining. :D On a more serious note, I never considered alpaca for the reasons you just said and chose moleskin body shell lining for warmth and cotton drill sleeve lining for my Teamster. For everything else I chose cotton drill lining throughout.

Last edited:
I have Alpaca in a tighter fitting Aero. It is a bit bulky, and I prefer other linings. I always wear a shirt with it, so it's not caused any skin irritation.

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have an Aero Long Hercules with alpaca that isn’t itchy at all, a Pike Bros N1 that does itch.

Personally if I wanted / needed another winter type coat, I’d get the Melton Wool liner like my Work Coat. Feels about the same warmth (maybe a touch less) but I can’t see it itching anyone ever.

TheJuniper

Familiar Face
*UPDATE*

Alright, so today Aero shipped me a replacement cotton lining, free of charge ... Thanks, Aero! I just need to find a reputable person in China to put it in. I'll update with pictures when that is finished.

Like I said in the original post, I really do like the jacket and Aero customer service has been excellent. I really wish this thread (and responses) had been available before I ordered ... would've made me really reconsider the alpaca. I'm well aware that people have different experiences and opinions concerning alpaca lining, so thank you all for your replies and suggestions!

And for the record, Thurston did recommend a "wool" lining, but not specifically an "alpaca wool" lining. I suppose I misunderstood that communication. Thurston reached out and contacted me about this thread, and actually said it is against their shop policy to recommend the alpaca lining with a Board Racer.

(I initially communicated with Thurston about the Board Racer, but ultimately ordered directly through Aero so I wouldn't have to ship it all around the world to get to China, so I certainly can't hold Thurston accountable for ordering the alpaca lining. But I do thank them for their communication and customer service!)

Ok. No one here likes my snake. I'll let that go ...

MET

A-List Customer
*UPDATE*

Alright, so today Aero shipped me a replacement cotton lining, free of charge ... Thanks, Aero! I just need to find a reputable person in China to put it in. I'll update with pictures when that is finished.

Like I said in the original post, I really do like the jacket and Aero customer service has been excellent. I really wish this thread (and responses) had been available before I ordered ... would've made me really reconsider the alpaca. I'm well aware that people have different experiences and opinions concerning alpaca lining, so thank you all for your replies and suggestions!

And for the record, Thurston did recommend a "wool" lining, but not specifically an "alpaca wool" lining. I suppose I misunderstood that communication. Thurston reached out and contacted me about this thread, and actually said it is against their shop policy to recommend the alpaca lining with a Board Racer.

(I initially communicated with Thurston about the Board Racer, but ultimately ordered directly through Aero so I wouldn't have to ship it all around the world to get to China, so I certainly can't hold Thurston accountable for ordering the alpaca lining. But I do thank them for their communication and customer service!)

Ok. No one here likes my snake. I'll let that go ...

I'm glad that you got a replacement liner.

Let the snake free. He would rather bite rats than alpaca.

l0fielectronic

Practically Family
Great news (and customer service). Hope this works out better for you.

*I think* most of the posts about the snake were joking. (Though I'm not too sure about that one commenting that what happened meant the supplier was a bad one!)

Edward

Bartender
I think some people assume that if an animal will attack an animal product, something has gone wrong in the treatment/tanning / preserving. I'm not convinced. Though years ago we had a coincidence of one particular cat and a pair of fluffy slippers my mother owned at the time (we think they must have been rabbit fur).....
His adoptive brother was never bothered by them, though, so.

My current cat has taken to occasionally peeing on one of my coats to indicate displeasure. I'd rather she bit me.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I think a number of us had fun with your input about the snake. Another option for a warm lining would be corduroy which I consider as an alternative to moleskin. Both are tough as nails as well as the lighter cotton drill. Anyhow glad to hear of the resolution to your problem. All’s well that ends well.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner